AXE FX2 + GT1000 FX what 2x12 cab do you advice?

yves vanmeenen

Inspired
Hi,
My setup is the Axe FX2 into a matrix GT1000FX. I want to buy a 2x12 guitar cab for it . I was wondering what would be the best choice? Goal is to be rather universal : I play in a cover band: rock / pop/ funk.. . It has to serve as my backend on a bigger stage or to make the sound in smaller places like a pub (no PA).. Currently I use a Marshall 1960a 4x12 cab...but too heavy to drag around and transport all the time.
I am rather tended to go again for a real cab and not a FRFR one....
Does it make any sense to, if you use a real cab, have the IR for that cab and have that as a block in your axe setup ? or is that complete nonsense?

grtz Yves

I would go with a Marshall, Orange, etc 2x12 cab. Something with either Celestion V30's or Greenbacks depending on your taste. Works well for rock anyway.

Hi,

Used 4x12 with mixed Century Vintage and Greenbacks for years, since Ace Fx switched to a PortCity 212OS with G12K100's and GT1000FX,
key is to set the speaker parameters in the amp block (and Quantum firmware :cool: ).

Quite good 3D for a closed cabinet, wider coverage compared to 4x12, though a little poor on low end (to my liking) for some high gain presets at the
moment (Q1.03), more tweaking from my side required.
No EQ's used, except BMT (Bass is usually cut) and a small dip at 2k in global EQ for output 2.

Also tried a Marshall 212 1936, but don't like G12T75's.

Cabinet modeling is off when using the real cabinet.
Without the cabinet, currently using an IR i found somewhere on this forum.
This IR was created from PC 212OS with Vintage 30's iirc, works fine untill i have time to create one myself.

HTH

I'm in a similar situation in that I recently sold a 1960AV for the same reason. I went with a Mesa Stiletto 2x12, as it also has V30s and had 50% off the price, they're probably being discontinued or something. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered as Mesa's too pricey in Europe and I may have looked into an Orange 2x12 instead. Some people think the Orange cabs are too dark paired with certain amps, you'd have to try one.

As for the IR, I'm also planning to have a cab block in the grid when the AX8 arrives and send that to my stage monitor. May also send it to FOH if it works out and dispense with mic'ing the cab altogether. In that situation the actual 2x12 would just be for providing some backline volume for people close to the stage. For me, FRFR makes sense from a monitoring and FOH perspective, but when I play alone I prefer a real cab.

I second the Port City 2x12 OS cabinet. Mine sounds fantastic - and big.

I picked up a Mesa 2x12 as well, and run in stereo with one cab on each side (at home - not live). It's probably an unusual setup, but I love it. The differences between the cabs (and speakers) makes for a really big and robust stereo field.

The Mesa on its own sounds great for metal stuff. Big, tight low end. Great presence across the spectrum.

Hi,

Used 4x12 with mixed Century Vintage and Greenbacks for years, since Ace Fx switched to a PortCity 212OS with G12K100's and GT1000FX,
key is to set the speaker parameters in the amp block (and Quantum firmware :cool: ).

Quite good 3D for a closed cabinet, wider coverage compared to 4x12, though a little poor on low end (to my liking) for some high gain presets at the
moment (Q1.03), more tweaking from my side required.
No EQ's used, except BMT (Bass is usually cut) and a small dip at 2k in global EQ for output 2.

Also tried a Marshall 212 1936, but don't like G12T75's.

Cabinet modeling is off when using the real cabinet.
Without the cabinet, currently using an IR i found somewhere on this forum.
This IR was created from PC 212OS with Vintage 30's iirc, works fine untill i have time to create one myself.

HTH
Hi,

I read indeed many good things about the Port City stuff...I wonder if you can get them in Europe?
speaker parameters in the amp block?...which ones are the most effective ones that you use to shape the tone to the real cabinet? The quantum ...I have :). Any change you would share one of your presets ...so I can see and learn :)....

grtz
Yves

I second the Port City 2x12 OS cabinet. Mine sounds fantastic - and big.

I picked up a Mesa 2x12 as well, and run in stereo with one cab on each side (at home - not live). It's probably an unusual setup, but I love it. The differences between the cabs (and speakers) makes for a really big and robust stereo field.

The Mesa on its own sounds great for metal stuff. Big, tight low end. Great presence across the spectrum.
port city seems the way...I hear lot of good things about it.

I use two Harley Benton enclosures loaded with 8 ohmhs Electrovoice EVL12 Classic speakers. Good definition in all frecuencies and power enough (400W each cab). This way I can drive each cabinet with 4 ohm in mono or 8+8 ohms in stereo.

Nothing says universal to me like a Port City 2x12OS. Best sounding cabinet I've ever heard, and damn good looking too. I've recently fallen in love with WGS speakers as well. Really quite hard to find any sort of close to decent demo's of their speakers online but after trying them out I now choose them over Celestion, and the pricing is great.

Every guitarist I know that has heard or played through my cab went out and bought their own from Port City afterwards.

Maybe build one and mount your matrix in it? A few people have put them into a vox ac30 enclosure.

I have to agree with the nod to Port City. I have an OS vertical 2x12 and love it. You can customize it in a million different ways and its well built. I have an EV12l and an ASW kts70 in mine - love the combo of those two speakers together. Anyway, don't think you can go wrong with their cabs.

.IMG_0106.JPG

Thankx for all the feedback....I think I am convinced about port city...challenge will be to get one in Europe. In Belgium at least : no dealers...:-(.
Anyone experienced with having one shipped from US ...if they do so..?
Mesa sounds good as well or an orange cab....but mesa is indeed very pricy.....

Used both open back and Recto Mesa 2x12s. They are plenty versatile with V30s, and can get louder cleanly with the Celestion-made Mesa 90s. Avatar made a great convertible open/closed back 2x12 that sounded awesome. Mine had Celestion Golds in it.

Yet another Port City rave from me. 2x12 OS = awesome, the port design makes it sound HUGE and well dispersed.

However.. few years ago I sold off a 4x12 because it was too huge to haul around and overkill.. now I'm finding the same thing with the Port City. I've been using a 1x12 lately and it's doing the job with my little trio.

Anyway, you'll get a million opinions on cabs and speakers. If you're not sure what you want, listen to more than just opinions.. listen to some IRs in detail to help make distictions between speaker types to help decide what you think sounds best.

As far as using a cab block too.. my experience is that a really good IR will sound better than a mic in front of your cab (to wedge or FOH). Use the FX loop B4 the cab block and send the POST-cab output 1 to the mixer (instead of a mic). Send the Out 2 (pre-cab) to your Matrix > real cab onstage.

You can either capture an IR of your own cab, or select the best pro IR you can find, but if you do that make sure you use one that is similar EQ and character as your real cab on stage.. and use the same one in all your presets. You don't want the FOH cab sound to be radically different from what you are hearing onstage from your real cab.

Yet another Port City rave from me. 2x12 OS = awesome, the port design makes it sound HUGE and well dispersed.

However.. few years ago I sold off a 4x12 because it was too huge to haul around and overkill.. now I'm finding the same thing with the Port City. I've been using a 1x12 lately and it's doing the job with my little trio.

Anyway, you'll get a million opinions on cabs and speakers. If you're not sure what you want, listen to more than just opinions.. listen to some IRs in detail to help make distictions between speaker types to help decide what you think sounds best.

As far as using a cab block too.. my experience is that a really good IR will sound better than a mic in front of your cab (to wedge or FOH). Use the FX loop B4 the cab block and send the POST-cab output 1 to the mixer (instead of a mic). Send the Out 2 (pre-cab) to your Matrix > real cab onstage.

You can either capture an IR of your own cab, or select the best pro IR you can find, but if you do that make sure you use one that is similar EQ and character as your real cab on stage.. and use the same one in all your presets. You don't want the FOH cab sound to be radically different from what you are hearing onstage from your real cab.
thkx for the good advice!!

I've used the port city 2x12 (regular and oversized) as my gigging cabinets of choice with a matrix power amp and axefx2.

Speaker choice is also crucial. So pick something you really like. I particularly hate v30s and have a fondness for greenback style speakers.

Thankx for all the feedback....I think I am convinced about port city...challenge will be to get one in Europe. In Belgium at least : no dealers...:-(.
Anyone experienced with having one shipped from US ...if they do so..?
Mesa sounds good as well or an orange cab....but mesa is indeed very pricy.....

Contact Daniel over at Port City directly about getting one shipped. I know for a fact he's shipped some cabs to far away places, and he's a very generous man. He's also a great person to just talk about guitar tone overall if you are unsure about speaker selection.

Back
Top Bottom