AXE FX2 + GT1000 FX what 2x12 cab do you advice?

Currently my setup is XL >> Matrix GT1000FX >> 2 x Matrix NL212.

This setup is after testing, gigging, playing and tons of A/B with ENGL 4x12, 2 x MESA 1x12 EVM12L and 2 x Carvin 2x12 v30's.

Also running @ rehearsal a Marshall JVM 4x12.

For me, no doubt the NL212 are the best sounding by far from the mentioned, the only other cab I like is the Marshall JVM 4x12 but I would not carry that beast anywhere.

I'm very happy with the NL212 from all aspects, sounds, feel, look and most important – weight!

When was the last time you carried a 2x12 in each hand and managed also to play your guitar after that? ;)

I've used the port city 2x12 (regular and oversized) as my gigging cabinets of choice with a matrix power amp and axefx2.

Speaker choice is also crucial. So pick something you really like. I particularly hate v30s and have a fondness for greenback style speakers.
speaker choice is indeed crucial...and not easy there is so much out there.
You are one of the few that have bad experience with V30 (as far as it is to find on the internet, most probably bad experiences are less shared as good ones), but taste is very personal indeed, maybe its all about the style of music you play. What is your main style? What I do hear from th e celestion V30 is the typical midrange peak, that might bother you...maybe only wished for high gain stuff....in that respect I hear the WGS veteran 30 is better ....

Contact Daniel over at Port City directly about getting one shipped. I know for a fact he's shipped some cabs to far away places, and he's a very generous man. He's also a great person to just talk about guitar tone overall if you are unsure about speaker selection.
thankx for the advice , I actualy already did..;and I can only confirm Daniel is indeed very responsive and helpfull...as far as taking care of potential customers he gets a 10 out of 10 from me :).
For the shipping i found a compagny in the Netherlands that does ship to Belgium. If I can´ t get my thing I will for sure try directly at Port city.

I do have made up my mind : port city it will be .
As far as speakers is concerned : the advice from Daniel at Port City is a mix of WGS veteran 30 and the ET65.
Sounds very interesting to me, seen the very diverse styles I play with my cover band.
Only draw back that makes me doubt to mix: what when going through PA , they only mic one speaker so ...you want get the same mix trhough the FOH as out of the cab....

Currently my setup is XL >> Matrix GT1000FX >> 2 x Matrix NL212.

This setup is after testing, gigging, playing and tons of A/B with ENGL 4x12, 2 x MESA 1x12 EVM12L and 2 x Carvin 2x12 v30's.

Also running @ rehearsal a Marshall JVM 4x12.

For me, no doubt the NL212 are the best sounding by far from the mentioned, the only other cab I like is the Marshall JVM 4x12 but I would not carry that beast anywhere.

I'm very happy with the NL212 from all aspects, sounds, feel, look and most important – weight!

When was the last time you carried a 2x12 in each hand and managed also to play your guitar after that? ;)
I did consider them as well, sounds as a good option as well indeed... G66, distributor for fractal and matrix in europe do not offer NL212 anymore....are they discontinued?....

Is anyone using the Port City with 2x12 stereo jack plate option? How is that working for you? Is it decent stereo dispersion in a single 2x12 cab?

The matrix fr212 is an awesome cab. So much headroom. Bass response is huge. I don't really have an amp in the room issue like some others. I think the FR212 is a significant part of this.

Is anyone using the Port City with 2x12 stereo jack plate option? How is that working for you? Is it decent stereo dispersion in a single 2x12 cab?

I've replaced the jack plate with one that has Neutrik D-type holes, use 2 parallel 4 pole Neutrik speakon for easy and quick connection, and drive the speakers in stereo.
Stereo with this 2x12 is very nice imo. Two single cabs can be spaced apart and give a much wider stereo field, 2x12 is a compromise.

Hi,

I read indeed many good things about the Port City stuff...I wonder if you can get them in Europe?
speaker parameters in the amp block?...which ones are the most effective ones that you use to shape the tone to the real cabinet? The quantum ...I have :). Any change you would share one of your presets ...so I can see and learn :)....

grtz
Yves

Here you go.
It's one i started to setup but never finished it so it may not sound good
Guitar used is Jackson SL2H-MAH.

link to IR's : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/port-city-os2x12-v30-irs-sm57-sean-ashe-37-free-irs.68770/

Attachments

• BB Blues Example.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
You should be able to order a Port City through Van De Haar, he ships to Belgium, or depending on where you live isn't a long drive.

Back
Top Bottom