Axe-Fx with Studio Monitors or FRFR speaker? Newbie here, need urgent HELP!

guitarair

Dear all Axe-Fx fanatics,

Before I ask, I beg your pardon for asking questions that have been asked and discussed here numerous times. I am a pure newbie. I just bought an Axe-Fx II XL+. As I never used this complicated digital unit, after buying this I am feeling like I am just a drop of water fell to an ocean. I had to sell my guitar amp and processor off to buy the Axe-Fx. So after buying it, now my first concern is how I am gonna use the Axe-Fx. Since the Axe-Fx is an amp modeler, I am not going to buy a Tube Amp. Besides I can''t afford to buy a Tube amp. I have gone trough hundreds of discussions here. Still I am super confused about buying Studio Speakers or FRFR speakers.

I have done my research here and found that I can run my Axe-Fx either through an FRFR speaker/cab OR a solid state power amp+speaker cab OR Studio monitor speakers. But the problem is I live in such a country where the scarcity of musical instruments shops is astonishing. There are a very few musical instruments where they don't sell Axe-Fx and FRFR speakers. I am kinda broke now, can't afford to buy a good FRFR speaker from a different country. It will be super costly for me. So do you think using a pair of decent studio monitors for my Axe-Fx will be a wise decision? I think I don't want to use a Power Amp as they are not flat and I really want to enjoy the Amp and Cab models of my Axe-Fx. I have a few specific questions now.

1. As I can't afford to buy an FRFR speaker/cab, do you think opting for Studio Monitors over Power amp will be the right decision to get the optimum sound of the Axe-Fx? (NOTE-I AM GOING TO USE THIS AXE-FX JUST FOR RECORDING MY ALBUM AND HOME PRACTICE. I AM NOT GOING TO BE GIGGING)

2. If you guys think that Studio Monitor is the right thing for me, then can you suggest a good brand? my budget for the monitors is max 500$

3. I have heard a lot about Yamaha HS series and KRK Rokit Series. I am a progressive heavy metal player. I mostly follow John Petrucci/Dream Theater. Which one would be the best suit for me between Yamaha HS and KRK Rokit? It's just for home practice in my untreated 13' x 11'5" bedroom.

4. If I go for Studio Monitors will I have to buy an audio interface? Or the Axe-Fx itself is an interface? I am not sure. If the Axe-FX can function like an audio interface too, I won't have to buy an audio interface, right? It will be like My Guitar---> Axe-Fx--->My laptop---->Studio Monitors, am I right?

Sorry for asking many question. I am a super newbie. My confusions are bothering me a lot and forcefully dragged me here to post these questions. I am literally sitting my ass off with my Axe. I need to make a decision as quick as possible. I will be forever grateful to all of you for helping me out. Massive thanks in advance.

ok first rule you need to do is to read the axefx manual,then you will know that you can use the axefx as an audio card

and yes you can use studio monitors(that what im using)for $500 you can get...Adam TV7,Yamaha HS or JBL 305,PreSonus-Eris

ok first rule you need to do is to read the axefx manual,then you will know that you can use the axefx as an audio card

and yes you can use studio monitors(that what im using)for $500 you can get...Adam TV7,Yamaha HS or JBL 305,PreSonus-Eris
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Really appreciate it. You are right I must read the manual. Good to know that it works as an audio card.

Anyway, I am feeling confident buying studio monitors as you are using too. Which monitors are you using by the way? I would love to have a pair of Adam TV. None of the musical instrument stores in my country sell Adam or PreSonus. So I might be buying Yamaha HS. I would love to buy Yamaha HS8. But a pair of brand new HS8 will be costly for me. I found guy selling his HS80M pair for 500$. Whats your take on HS80M. You know the difference between HS8 and HS80M? Thanks again :)

You'll be fine with studio monitors for what your purposes are. Try to see if you can get the JBL LSR305 or 308 in your country. They're only about $300-400 in the USA.

I use a hs7 pair and it's enough for home studio, if you don't play with a drummer you don't even need bigger :)
Krk aren't a good idea because they are bass heavy

You'll be fine with studio monitors for what your purposes are. Try to see if you can get the JBL LSR305 or 308 in your country. They're only about $300-400 in the USA.
Hey thanks for your suggestions. Really appreciate it. Unfortunately JBL Studio monitors are not available here. They mostly sell Yamaha, KRK, M Audio and PreSonus. Which monitor do you think will be best for using with Axe-Fx among these 4 brands? Thanks again

I use a hs7 pair and it's enough for home studio, if you don't play with a drummer you don't even need bigger :)
Krk aren't a good idea because they are bass heavy
Thanks for your suggestion. Really appreciate it. So you are already telling me that Yamaha is better than KRK for using Axe-Fx? A new pair of HS7 is a bit costly to me. Didn't find any used pair. But I found a guy here selling a pair of Yamaha HS80M for 500$. What do you think about HS80M compared to HS8? Should I go for it? BTW, do you use your Axe-Fx through Yamaha monitor or other studio monitors? If so, would love to hear your opinion on that. Thanks again :)

I love my Yamaha hs7’s.
That's nice. Do you use your H7 for using Axe-Fx? Will appreciate if you share your experience. Do you know about Yamaha HS80M? I found a guy selling a pair of HS80M for 500$. I am confused whether should I go for the HS80M or HS8/HS7. Thanks again

Do you use M audio BX5 with your Axe-Fx? If so, tell me about your experience please. Is it good?
well what can i tell you,they are ok monitors,I have never mixed or mastered with those monitors,i only use my monitors to play guitar,im looking to buy new monitors later this year and im between Adam TV7 & Yamaha HS

I use the HS7’s for my home studio. I run a separate interface (Presonus) from the AxeFx and think the HS7’s sound excellent. They are plenty loud for a home studio, though I wouldn’t mind the HS8’s. Live I use the Atomic CLR’s.

I use the HS7’s for my home studio. I run a separate interface (Presonus) from the AxeFx and think the HS7’s sound excellent. They are plenty loud for a home studio, though I wouldn’t mind the HS8’s. Live I use the Atomic CLR’s.
That's great to know. I am glad to know that you are happy with your HS7's. What do you think about KRK Rokit. For an Axe-Fx user which one is better you think between Yamaha HS8's and KRK Rokit8's?

I think you're over-thinking it. Find the best deal you can on any of the brands you've listed on the best model that you can afford. Then use the AFX global EQ to flatten out any quirks in the sound. Don't forget that your room and speaker placement are going to affect the sound in any case, so even a technically "better" model may not be the best fit for your situation. No one is going to be able to tell you which model you are going to like the most for your room, ears and wallet.

If you're like me, you're going to use the monitors to play back videos and music through your PC. So the best monitor for you may end up being a compromise between what works best for guitar and what works best for general audio.

Agreed with StickMan.

Another way to look at it: What are your goals? Are you planning on using the Axe FX in live situations at all? If yes, get a FRFR speaker cabinet. Just buy what you can afford.

Just playing/recording at home for fun? Get studio monitors. Don't get caught up in which brand to buy, especially if you're limited to what's available to you. I know you're just doing your research to find the best value for what you can afford, but I think the differences between all the monitors being suggested to you are insignificant. I think those differences only matter if you're actually trying to become a professional music producer. Just buy the best you can afford and you'll be happy. It's easy to get over-whelmed with small details when comparing things to buy on the internet.

Last edited:
I think you're over-thinking it. Find the best deal you can on any of the brands you've listed on the best model that you can afford. Then use the AFX global EQ to flatten out any quirks in the sound. Don't forget that your room and speaker placement are going to affect the sound in any case, so even a technically "better" model may not be the best fit for your situation. No one is going to be able to tell you which model you are going to like the most for your room, ears and wallet.

If you're like me, you're going to use the monitors to play back videos and music through your PC. So the best monitor for you may end up being a compromise between what works best for guitar and what works best for general audio.
Great insight, thank you! Your reply gave me confident. I know at the end it all boils down to personal preferences. You make sense. But I must get over my confusion. Just out of curiosity, what do you use for AxeFx, studio monitors or FRFR speakers? I totally understand your advice, but still asking which studio monitors would you opt for among Yamaha HS8, KRK Rokit8 and JBL LSR308? Or do you thing Headrush FRFR-18 will be better than any of these monitors? Thanks again :)

Agreed with StickMan.

Another way to look at it: What are your goals? Are you planning on using the Axe FX in live situations at all? If yes, get a FRFR speaker cabinet. Just buy what you can afford.

Just playing/recording at home for fun? Get studio monitors. Don't get caught up in which brand to buy, especially if you're limited to what's available to you. I know you're just doing your research to find the best value for what you can afford, but I think the differences between all the monitors being suggested to you are insignificant. I think those differences only matter if you're actually trying to become a professional music producer. Just buy the best you can afford and you'll be happy. It's easy to get over-whelmed with small details when comparing things to buy on the internet.
Thanks a lot for you valuable response. I am basically going to use the Axe-Fx for home practice and recording my album. But I don't have any personal studio, we (my band) are going to record the album in a professional studio. And I won't be gigging at least 8 months. So even if I buy a pair of studio monitors I won't be using these for recording (recording, mixing or mastering) at my place, just for home practice to prepare myself for recording the album.

Anyway. do you think opting for studio monitors will be a good idea for this purpose. There are not so many options in my country as there are some limited musical stores with some limited instruments and gears. Basically these studio monitor brands available in my country- Yamaha HS series, KRK Rokit8, JBL LSR308 and PreSonus. They don't sell any FRFR speakers. Only one shop is selling Headrush FRFR-108. You already advised me to go for FRFR cab or speakers if I go live and I totally understand all your advice. But still I would like to ask, which studio monitor among above mentioned monitors you personally would go for and why? Another question, will it be meaningless to use AxeFx with Headrush-108 at home? If not, then in terms of sound quality which will be better between any of these above mentioned studio monitors and Headrush FRFR-108? Thanks in advance :)

do you think opting for studio monitors will be a good idea for this purpose.
Yes I think you'll be quite happy with studio monitors at home. I love mine, actually find them better for practice compared to the frfr.
I think it's a more immersive experience, well placed monitors and sitting in the ideal place, it just feels great.
FRFR, at least in mono, is not quiet the same feeling, even if the sound is similar.

Yes I think you'll be quite happy with studio monitors at home. I love mine, actually find them better for practice compared to the frfr.
I think it's a more immersive experience, well placed monitors and sitting in the ideal place, it just feels great.
FRFR, at least in mono, is not quiet the same feeling, even if the sound is similar.
thanks a lot for your response. Really appreciate it. Which studio monitors do you use for your Axe-Fx? If you were asked to choose between Yamaha HS80M, KRK Rokit8, JBL LSR308 and PreSonus (can't remember the exact model number), which one would you opt for? I am giving these options because these are the only monitors available in my country. Another question, which one do you think is better between a decent pair of studio monitors and a pair of Headrush-108? I mean soundwise better quality at home. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom