Axe-FX with real cab sounds nasal and sharp.

JelluN

I recently got my Axe-FX and Matrix GT1000FX to use with my Zilla Fatboy loaded with 2 Lynchbacks.

When I turn off the cab sims however the sound get sort of nasal and sharp around the 8K Hz mark, especially when using overdriven amps. I tried using global EQ blocks to filter out the unwanted sound but I'm having a hard time finding the right settings.

If anyone has tips on what settings to use for a EQ or filter block I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum, I think it will be easier for people to help you if you include
what firmware version you are on, and more info about the preset you are using.

If you share the preset, and maybe include a sound sample .. I am sure there are plenty of people here that
will have you sorted out in no time :)

have a good one

I'd steer clear of using EQ. I'd start by adjusting the parameters on the speaker page, and maybe try the hi cut in the amp block.

It happens on all presets but is especially pronounced on high-gain sounds. I don't have a proper microphone to record with so a sound sample is a sad no.

Are you 100% sure this isn't related to fret buzz/rattle? 8khz is well in to the fizz region of guitar and general notes don't produce much up there.

Start from scratch - don't use a patch dialed in with a cab sim then remove it. If you start with pretty much default settings do you still get the noise?

A proper microphone isn't necessary, if you have a phone that can take a clip without distorting its mic then upload that (many smart phones work fine for this). If it is as pronounced as you say it should still be audible.

You shouldn't need to use filter blocks to get a good sound with this setup. I use a Matrix and a Mesa 2x12 cab - most of my patches are just the amp with the dialled in speaker tab settings and I don't experience this. Cliff wrote about low frequency resonance here, and it does make a big difference with an SS power amp and real cab - http://forum.fractalaudio.com/tech-notes/78003-about-speaker-lf-resonance.html

I tried recording with my phone but it doesn't really come through all that well. It's 100% not my guitar as I play with fairly high action and it happens with open strings even when picking lightly. I tried messing with the settings in the speaker tab using a 5153 red on a completly blank preset but I couldn't find a good sound.

Can anyone post a good preset to use with a real cab. Preferably a good hard rock HBE or something, for use with a 4 x12 or 2 x 12. I have stuck with the FRFR route as I had no luck getting it to sound right with my 1936 cab which sounds great with my Engl Blackmore. I had a better result when I build the preset from scratch rather than using a 'direct' preset but still think I could be missing something. There seems to be so few presets around that cater for this set up. I have a normal mkI.

1. Where are you located?.

2 Upload a patch so I (and others) can have a look.

I use a GT1000fx and a Zilla studio pro and have no issues with that set up on any sounds. I notices its on all patches - which is strange and points to something global happening. Either some phasing in the cab, or possible something to do with stereo blocks in a mono feed? the use of an enhancer or some such?

I recommend creating a preset from scratch with nothing but an Amp block. Set the amp model to the HBE and take all defaults.

I would do a system reset next. Warning this will set your global settings back to default. If you have setup some controller mappings or what not they will be scratched.

Next, verify power amp modeling is ON and cabinet modeling is OFF in your global settings.

The default HBE sounds really great will power amp -> cab with humbuckers and single coils.

Can anyone post a good preset to use with a real cab. Preferably a good hard rock HBE or something, for use with a 4 x12 or 2 x 12. I have stuck with the FRFR route as I had no luck getting it to sound right with my 1936 cab which sounds great with my Engl Blackmore. I had a better result when I build the preset from scratch rather than using a 'direct' preset but still think I could be missing something. There seems to be so few presets around that cater for this set up. I have a normal mkI.

difficult. Everyones definition of "good" and "hard rock" are different.

I have a few - but may not be to your taste.

I recommend creating a preset from scratch with nothing but an Amp block. Set the amp model to the HBE and take all defaults.

I would do a system reset next. Warning this will set your global settings back to default. If you have setup some controller mappings or what not they will be scratched.

Next, verify power amp modeling is ON and cabinet modeling is OFF in your global settings.

The default HBE sounds really great will power amp -> cab with humbuckers and single coils.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...io-clips-comparison-purposes.html#post1234212

I have found that when turning down the dynamic presence to about -4 to -5 the sound goes away (mostly). To compensate for the lack of "cut" and "pop" I turn the regular presence up a bit.

This sorta works, but it's less than optimal.

Last edited:
For starters, Cabs (real cab's that is) need to be pushed harder than FRFR speakers to sound good. Make sure your axe-fx volume knob on the front panel is cranked all the way to 100% (whatever input you are using...1 or 2) then adjust the appropriate channel volume on the Matrix ( I believe you will be on channel A) until you start to see the pink LED light up (read the matrix manual for more details). This should give you a good NSR. You can then adjust VOLUME via the matrix...ideally you would want to keep it tickling the pink LED, which is equivalently stage volume.

If you are still getting some fizziness, go into the amp block and under the dynamic settings turn the Supply SAG to off, it will read (P.A. off) this disables the power amp section of the amp block allowing you to use ONLY the Matrix's PA. see link below. Don't forget that the Xformer match and Xdrive controls in the Speaker tab of the amp block are VERY powerful tone shaping tools as well.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ing-sag-off-same-power-amp-modelling-off.html

Good luck!

I sort of had that experience at first when I went to real cabs. I EQed a bit to compensate at first, but eventually I just acclimated to the sound of the real cabs. These days I do very little in the way of EQing for this purpose, and when I do turn on cab modeling with a real cab, I find that it usually sounds dark, scooped, even muffled a bit depending on the IR.

My suggestion is to give yourself time to get used to your new setup. Maybe play through the factory preset with cab modeling off to see how your real cab feels with the various amp models.

For starters, Cabs (real cab's that is) need to be pushed harder than FRFR speakers to sound good. Make sure your axe-fx volume knob on the front panel is cranked all the way to 100% (whatever input you are using...1 or 2) then adjust the appropriate channel volume on the Matrix ( I believe you will be on channel A) until you start to see the pink LED light up (read the matrix manual for more details). This should give you a good NSR. You can then adjust VOLUME via the matrix...ideally you would want to keep it tickling the pink LED, which is equivalently stage volume.

If you are still getting some fizziness, go into the amp block and under the dynamic settings turn the Supply SAG to off, it will read (P.A. off) this disables the power amp section of the amp block allowing you to use ONLY the Matrix's PA. see link below. Don't forget that the Xformer match and Xdrive controls in the Speaker tab of the amp block are VERY powerful tone shaping tools as well.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ing-sag-off-same-power-amp-modelling-off.html

Good luck!

I could be wrong, but important if correct----didn't Cliff say to NEVER crank the output to 10? If not, I apologize, just trying to save someone some grief if I am recalling it correctly .....

Good luck!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with most of this. You should not run your volume at maximum. Proper gain staging requires knowledge of the Matrix's input sensitivity but I would start out with the volume knob around noon.

You do not want to turn off power amp modeling when using a solid-state power amp like the Matrix.

Now, the Matrix does have a somewhat low damping factor and will exacerbate the highs a bit. You may want to turn down the HF Resonance in the SPKR tab of the amp block and/or Presence to compensate.

The speaker page of the Amp block Hi and Low cut are a good place to start.
I had a hard time for a long time with similar feeling about sound out of the cab.
Another thing to remember is that the Matrix will not give you the same sparkle and punch as a tube power amp, it is smoother and I find the rendering of high frequencies very different and that takes time getting used to.
Good luck and be patient ;)

Back
Top Bottom