Axe-FX with GT1000FX 2U review

Jang

I'm a relatively new Axe-FX II user. My main reason for buying was with the aim of selling off now underused piles of tube gear and effects to have a neat'n'tidy rig that could fit in a small rack case more orientated towards home recording and sporadic gigging.

In the first instance I needed an amp that would take the Axe-FX's sounds and pump it through a cab – vanilla stuff. I thought about trying a cheap, budget option first but the Axe-FX has been such a revelation that I really want to embrace it and get the most out of it.

When the Axe-FX first came onto my radar a couple of years back it seemed that tube valve amps like the VHT were the ultimate option, judging by forum chatter, but when I finally starting looking to 'go Axe' seriously and acquire one, Matrix's generally incredible user feedback and confidence in the the products had to be taken seriously. I was a 'valve=goodness' guy but, hey, they are heavy, need maintenance and can sometimes go unreliable. If SS could do the job, well, that's better, right? IF it can do the job.

Anyway, my GT1000FX 2U turned up earlier today.

The unit comes efficiently well packaged in quite a small box (I thought it might have been the A3 photographic paper I ordered) with and small instruction manual. Unlike other amps I've bought over the years, where I'd be wondering how the tone of the valve circuitry would enhance my music, the Matrix serves a completely different purpose – to faithfully and accurately reproduce the sonic goodness of the Axe-FX II at volume. In a sense it's a bit more like some audiophile buying a HIFI amp to get the most out of a high end CD player. However, I was looking in the first instance to use a guitar cab and not explore full range for the time being. The Axe sounds good through my small studio monitors but that means, yet again, I'm hunched near a desk making music. I prefer to practice or work out new ideas away from all that – guitar and amp, old skool style.

Plugging in the amp and switching on the 2u there is essentially no noise from it unless you stick your head right up against the grill. We live within earshot of an A road, so even the distant rumble of traffic or the plumbing or just any tiny domestic noise means you don't hear a thing. The amp will be for live/loud use (hey, it's a power amp) but if you are neurotic about hum and whirr and fan noise on your gear, this will salve your OCD. For me, I'm sure I'd have been a happy camper with the 1U but the unit's so compact anyway I thought, hey, you never know when super-quiet might be valued for recording. They cost the same. You pays your money and all that... Still, it is pretty cool to have classic tube amp sound but without any whirr and hum at all.

I started running the GT1000FX though a 16ohm, wired for mono, 2x12 Zilla Studio Pro cab, which is loaded with Tayden High Brit and Great Brit speakers. These are retro-orientated speakers that really start to sing with a bit of volume but even at low domestic levels the Matrix+Zilla combo worked a treat. My main patches are set up with a 2x12” cab sim, and when cab sims were turned off in global settings, they sounded recognisable and equally gorgeous through this set up – pristine, transparent, plenty of ooomph across the frequency range, not thin or boomy anywhere. I used just one channel into 16ohms and there's a lot of power on tap even from that. Bridged I guess this would be good as a bass amp, which'll be great for occasional bass gigs (I currently don't own my own bass amp).

The fact that it was great from the first notes played is a great sign. I've never stuck with anything music-related that I felt I had to get used to or mess around with because it wasn't the best fit for my needs. The Matrix certainly delivers that 'first strum thrill.'

The Zilla's been used for the most part with a Peavey head, but also with a Marshall, someone else's Orange head and, briefly, a Bassman head, so I know how various amps sound through it. I also have a Fender DeVille combo on hand. Here's the thing, with the Axe and the Matrix to my ears you can have a great-sounding, believable Plexi heads, Fender heads, make-believe heads, ubergain heads, etc. all in one compact package. It doesn't really feel or sound different whether the cab is spitting out tube sound or Axe-fx/Matrix sound (but the latter has much less hum!) I know you probably know all that – I'm still in the Axe-FX honeymoon where I still don't quite believe how things have moved on in the last decade.

Here's another thing... I do not need tube stuff anymore. I really don't. It's all going. All of it. I'll never bother using it now for sure. I know 100% that with the Axe-FX II and the Matrix GT1000FX I'm good.

The construction of the Matrix is reassuringly British and 'industrial'. This looks like it has been built to be used hard. The connectors all look like solid parts. It's a world away from cheapo budget stuff, which is always nice when you've dropped a pile of dosh! There's orange light that glows inside (forum member Clarky called it 'lava') and seeping through the muscular grill on the front combined with the blue LEDs it does look really cool. It would look amazing on a dark stage. Sci-fi fun!

Also I should say the Matrix guys and gals have been brilliant over email. They really are focussed on customer service. They give you exactly the product you want, answer your queries fast, make it easy to buy and leave you happy.

In conclusion, I can see why this amp is becoming seen by lots of users as a kind of Axe-FX 'industry standard.' It's ticked every box on my immediate needs. But it's quiet for recording if I need it to be and there's always passive monitors and full range to explore with it if I ever feel the need so it's pretty much future-proofed.

This is exactly what I needed to read! Thanks for the review.

I will soon be making the plunge and am now 100% sold on the Matrix gt1000fx. Do you know what the difference is between the 1U and 2U? Is it just fan noise or is there something else that makes one preferable over the other?

As I understand it the 1U isn't at all noisy. It's quieter by some margin than any valve power amp, perhaps like the fans on an average PC. But I've never seen one in a quiet environment. I generally wouldn't expect a power amp to be silent but the 2U is virtually silent so it's good if you are recording with it/near it or if you are just OCD about noise. As I didn't 100% need it to be 1u, and I'd once been considering 15kg+ 2u valve PAs, I went for the 2u 'just in case'.

Other than that they are exactly the same amp.

Jang, what kind of heat does it throw off?

Well, it's been on since late morning, played here and there throughout, with Channel A dialled between low volumes to about halfway up (really quite loud!) and it has a 'cold metal' feel on the top.

The only problem is I've been playing with it all day so will have to work late tonight to meet deadlines :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Keep us abreast of what you like about it and what you don't over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks, clarky. I'm one of those anal retentive types that keeps space around/between the Axe and the power amp, have been hoping to find a "cool" amp.

Thanks, clarky. I'm one of those anal retentive types that keeps space around/between the Axe and the power amp, have been hoping to find a "cool" amp.

I'm going to get a shallow 4u Gator Plastic case and will have no qualms about sandwiching them together in that.

I'm going to get a shallow 4u Gator Plastic case and will have no qualms about sandwiching them together in that.

Just a heads-up... I have the shallow Gator case, and the Axe-Fx II sticks out past the back edge by about 1/4". Doesn't cause me any problems though, and the back lid fits on just fine, but I have to unplug the power cord first (I use a Furman PL-8C to power my Axe and Matrix). I also use right-angle to straight 1/4" cables to go from Axe OUTs to Matrix INs (angled connectors are on the Axe end, so I can keep them plugged in even with the lid on). So, top to bottom in my shallow 4U, I've got the Furman, Matrix GT800FX, Axe-Fx II.

This is exactly what I needed to read! Thanks for the review.

I will soon be making the plunge and am now 100% sold on the Matrix gt1000fx. Do you know what the difference is between the 1U and 2U? Is it just fan noise or is there something else that makes one preferable over the other?

Kidsfeet, i have the 1U and its about as loud as the axe fx2. definitely not louder. seriously even in a studio scenario its quieter than any tube head. in my opinion i would just get the 1U, its smaller and slightly lighter, plus its just cool that all that power is in such a small box haha.

I have the 2 space matrix its a great amp, why would you worry about noise from the fan. If you don't want to make some noise just use your headphones. I run 2 - 4x12's it just kicks Ass

the front of the amp is seriously vented with fans to the rear..
I doubt you'll need to leave an empty U above it

Yes, there is no need to leave a 1u space for heat. All of the heat is exhausted from the rear of the amp. You could leave the amp on all weekend and it still wont get hot.

Best regards
Matt

Matt, you are the man and my power amp is the best ive ever owned. Thanks so much for all you do, it does not go unnoticed!

Just a heads-up... I have the shallow Gator case, and the Axe-Fx II sticks out past the back edge by about 1/4". Doesn't cause me any problems though, and the back lid fits on just fine, but I have to unplug the power cord first (I use a Furman PL-8C to power my Axe and Matrix).

I actually have the 3u as it came with the Axe-FX II I bought used. So, yes, is does kinda fit and if you use right-angled cables you don't need to unplug all the cables. It's going to be fairly static most of the time rather than transported around loads lot so it's cool. Any other suggestions for good, compact 4U rack cases appreciated, though!

Anyway, absolutely LOVING this amp. It's just so crystal clear and picks up every little nuance of your playing and the Axe's modelling - the last piece of the puzzle to show me that the AXE-FX can be a full replacement for everything.

guys for the record, you can ebay an angled power cable so that you can leave the axe plugged in as well. i actually had the same issue, i have the 3 space gater rack bag and use the angled to straight plugs from axe to matrix and also use the angled power cable on the axe. everything stays plugged in and the back closes right up. its perfect!

guys for the record, you can ebay an angled power cable so that you can leave the axe plugged in as well. i actually had the same issue, i have the 3 space gater rack bag and use the angled to straight plugs from axe to matrix and also use the angled power cable on the axe.

Sounds good. I'll maybe order some angled MIDIs too.

sounds good, i dont use midi but if i did i would do the same. the power cable was cheap. like $5=$6 or something.

Back
Top Bottom