Axe FX W/D/W setup with FRFR or normal & FRFR speakers

Lightningboy

Experienced
Just wanted to get other peoples thoughts and ideas on building up a W/D/W rig.

Thinking of maybe using a standard guitar cab for the dry portion of the rig and using FRFR with cab sims as the wet portion of the rig or just using FRFR and cab sims for all three.

Say a 2x12 EV12L for the dry and couple of passive full range wedges for the wet or x3 1x12's. Maybe good for a combination of thump and feel as well as the bonus of blending in the cab sims to give different toanz.

Any tips on routing or ways to get the most of the Axe's mixing & output options?

Are you just going to run one amp one channel wet one channel dry? it would be the easiest and simplest way to get it done but not truly W/D/W. Other wise the Peavey (assuming you still have it) for the Dry into the 212 off OP-2 and your Matrix for the stereo wet off OP-1.

I also still have the Matrix's older sister but may just get another GT800FX. Would running to FOH still present a problem?

I also still have the Matrix's older sister but may just get another GT800FX. Would running to FOH still present a problem?

You have lot's of options with regards to FOH depending on the FOH system and also your stage setup.

IMO, the crux of it is how you are using your backline and whether or not the FOH is a two channel or single channel system in regards to the speaker array(s). Not talking stereo; just discreet sends from the FOH mixer to amp -> speaker(s).

Some examples would be:

If the FOH is mainly just for support of the backline, and the FOH is two channel mono, you could run W/W in the FOH.

if the FOH is mono single channel then you pretty much have to run the dry to FOH. With the exception if your backline dry signal is for the audience too, then you could run mono W to FOH.

Richard

Would running to FOH still present a problem?

The whole purpose of W/D/W is to maintain tone purity and create a sense of spaciousness. With the Axe you can for the most part do this within the matrix simply be placing the time based effects after the cabs so it's kind of redundant in a sense. The sense of spaciousness is going to be a stage thing that mainly you will enjoy, which is really cool. As to FOH unless you have the opportunity to play in a venue that has a FOH setup with an L/C/R a W/D/W rig for the most part is all about you and what you are hearing in your space on stage.

I have my rig set up this way right now and it is killer!

I am running it one of 2 ways.

OUT 2 goes in stereo to 4 EVM12L 1x12 thieles (2 per side) via an ART SLA 2. OUT 1 goes left to FBT Verve 12MA and right to my Mackie 1202, SLA 1 and Yorkville E12 monitor where I blend in a little AXE and backing tracks (This could also be FOH when using a non W/D/W patch). OUT 1 is set copy L>R. So the Verve is my Dry and EV's are wet.

Alternatively I run OUT 1 to a bridged SLA 1 and then to a Splawn OS 2x12 with 2 EVM12L's in it and use this as dry.

I prefer using the Verve in the middle though because I can get better results with my piezo's or play my acoustic.

When I go out to jam I take 2 of the thieles and the Verve.

Back
Top Bottom