Axe FX VS. TC electronic 2290

Well Im not sure but using Axe FX II loop will downgrade sampling from 96k to half however it still should sound outstanding.

Guys, I'm not getting any closer ... I tried A/Bing them and the Axe sounds different. There's something about the feedback slope. I A/B it with the 2290's pre-amp, just bypassing the delay, so there's no 'oh, but that's the pre-amp!'-thing. The 2290 is really precise and is so good for that rhythmic kind of 'U2' sound, nice and bouncy. It retains the attack and crystal clear sound of the original note, but the Axe, even with the diffusion off, the filters intact ... it just sounds a little more smeared and less percussive. I've picked one LFO, adjusted the modulation, but just couldn't even get close. I inverted the phase on 1 channel, made a little difference, but didn't make it as wide as the 2290 (even without the panning engaged). And yes, I picked the stereo delay in the Axe, not the mono. ;)

I've heard guys say that they have managed to nail that 2290 tone in the Axe-Fx, that it's not that special. Maybe in the II? But in the ULTRA, I will probably need to do a bunch of tweaking to see how close I could get and I don't even know where to start now, seeing as a normal delay block doesn't cut it.
Has anyone actually A/Bed these units? Of course, when you haven't heard it for a while and you sit down, you're more inclined to say; "Yeah, that sounds like the 2290 I had!"

When you post the clips, include your patch. I'll copy it over to the II and replace the stereo delay with the 2290 type and see what difference it makes.

I'm reading this:
- "TYPE — The Delay TYPE control sets various parameters of the delay block to achieve popular delay effects instantly. See the table below for a listing of DELAY block types."
So, there's a 2290 type, which is basically a preset. Could anyone check there to see what the parameters are set at there? I do see that it's a mono delay, which is weird, because the width of the 2290 paired with its modulation and panning is where it's at. However, I'm sure you can easily autopan the delay in the Axe.

Last edited:
You can look at it if you duplicate your axe edit and create another workspace for it and set it to axe II. Then you can run two editors and load II patches in one and ultra patches in the other. I'll do you a quick demo if you like.

You can look at it if you duplicate your axe edit and create another workspace for it and set it to axe II. Then you can run two editors and load II patches in one and ultra patches in the other. I'll do you a quick demo if you like.
Yes, please. I presume we've got a new editor then?

no, it's the same editor for all the versions of the axe - you just go to settings > configs to tell it which one you're using. it's important to have two versions and separate workspaces for each, though.

As an objective opinion:

I can see that TC Electronic doesn't feel that highly about it as well, since it's discontinued. This doesn't mean that it's not valuable, but that not enough people heard what what they needed they couldn't find elsewhere (at least not enough to make decent money...)

R

The 2290 was discontinued because of the lack of availability of its component parts, not due to lack of interest from TC or users.

Just fyi.

Would you mind sharing your Deluxe Memory Man-ish settings on the 2290? I'd love to try to dial in a similar sound using my Eventide's 2290 algo.

Thanks a lot.
Sure!

Feedback
Level: 68
High: 2
Low: 0
[inv]

Output
Delay: 81
Direct: 99
Pan: 50
Global: 99

Mod - Delay
Sine
Depth: 99
Speed: 3.9

Mod - Pan (optional)
Sine
Speed: .10
Depth: 32
[delay] (not on the dry signal or both)

Time
311ms (try to stay in the 250 / 400ms range for the best representation of that DMM sound)

I, personally, don't really think it's close, since it's still way too clean for a DMM and it lacks any grit, but it sounds nice on its own!

Last edited:
if you already have it, just duplicate it, otherwise go here - Axe-Edit Software Editor for the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Guitar Processor

if you don't have any luck, i'll take some screenshots of the parameters
Got it! I'm looking at that block right now and ... I can't see ANYTHING special?

All I see is:
- Phase Reverse Right
- 500hz speed mod (LFO 1)
- 25% depth mod (LFO 1)
- Low Cut 20hz
- High Cut 16001hz
- Q 0.700
- 6dB/OCT Filter Slope

That's it, a slight cut at the high end and phase reversed right channel. Can anyone tell me if this 'type' sounds any different than the regular Digital Mono? All I'm seeing here is that the Digital Mono type doesn't have the right channel reversed and that it retains more high end. What I'm wondering is, with the 2290's 33k high end, the stuff that remains the longest is the high end, especially in the attack and then in the feedback slope. It doesn't make sense cutting it from 16K.

What I'm seeing here isn't anything that I couldn't replicate in the ULTRA. I can try to cut the high end at 16k, but that's not gonna make anything as sparkly as the 2290.

so do you think there shouldn't be any high cut at all and a bit of low cut?
Well, in the 2290 'type', the low cut is negligible and the high cut ... I don't hear it. I'm definitely gonna try it (even though I can't adjust the Q on the ULTRA), but what I just find weird is that that is all the 2290 'type' is?

Back
Top Bottom