Axe-FX Ultra and FRFR monitor inbound. My tube amps may not survive this...

Deaj

Experienced
I'm a new Axe-FX user - just received a new Standard model this past Wednesday. I found the initial learning curve quick and painless. I was building my first preset within the an hour of unboxing it, and using some deep editing parameters to good effect by hour four. I'm using Axe-Edit but I have done some front panel editing as well without issue.

There are some other things that came quickly with the Axe-FX Standard.
* Fantastic tones - this happened as I began sampling the presets. Many are over processed but the core tones in many of the presets are, well, fantastic!
* Thoughts of selling my Mesa MkV combo - these began occurring as soon as I reached a patch that highlighted the MkIIc+ model (with a little tweaking anyway). This is the amp that I use when I get together with other musicians to play. An ideal choice for a do-all tube amp IMO - it's a good fit for most any type of music at any volume level and it sounds fantastic! Well, the Axe-FX has already proven it can do the same and more, and it sounds as good or better than the MkV (again IMO). I have a second amp - an Egnater Tweaker - which I purchased as a recording amp and as a small and simple backup for the MkV (mic'd if need be). This amp may go as well.
* Purchase of a FRFR powered loudspeaker / monitor - this occurred within 24 hours of receiving the Axe-FX. I've been following progress of the Axe-FX for close to four years now with the hope that it might replace amps for me altogether. This is now a sure thing. A powered monitor is the only thing left to sort out. That starts Thursday when mine arrives. If it proves capable as an amp in casual settings with no PA and as a monitor in situations with a PA then there will be no reason to hang on to the tube amps.
* Finally, purchase of an Axe-FX Ultra - this happened within 36 hours of receiving the Standard. After experiencing the Axe-FX for myself, after testing the capabilities of the Standard, I came to the conclusion that I want all of the potential the Axe-FX offers at my disposal. Though I'm not swimming in money I haven't yet decided if I'm going to return the Standard model for a refund or keep it as a backup unit. I've always kept a backup amp on hand. Aside from the possible need to simplify any patch built on the Ultra that employs features unique to the Ultra and/or exceeds the processing power in the Standard It's the next best backup solution to buying a second Ultra (this is not something I'd have planned to do this early but both units will be here Thursday when the Ultra arrives). It would also provide me with an Axe-FX that I could loan out to a couple other players I've been collaborating with on songwriting and recording projects for many years now (my brother and a life long friend).

I've actually been thinking about this scenario for close to 15 years wondering when technology and creativity would close the gap and make it possible for me to be done with amps for recording, live applications, and just practicing / jamming at home. I've been waiting for something that could deliver what Line6 promised back then. The Axe-FX does that and so much more. This is the perfect moment to say "Thank you Cliff!" :)

Although I'm familiar with, and comfortable with, playing to the sound of a mic'd amp when recording and in live applications I'm very accustomed to playing in the room with the amp most of the time these days. I really thought this was going to be a hurdle for me to get over before switching to a modeler in lieu of tube amps altogether. I'm already over that speedbump. :) It's been an interesting week! This coming week promises more of the same!

What a wild ride! :)

Last edited:
Well, you don't fart around and not make up your mind once you are on the chase, eh?

Good for you. Enjoy the journey; if there's any way any of us can help you - just ask.

Tis an exciting time to be a guitarist.

If Fractal Audio ever does any swag (shirts, hats, etc.), I'm hoping that one of the items will be a hat that looks like a helmet - with chin strap! :D

Well, you don't fart around and not make up your mind once you are on the chase, eh?

Good for you. Enjoy the journey; if there's any way any of us can help you - just ask.

Tis an exciting time to be a guitarist.

Thanks Scott! :) I've no doubt that questions will arise as I move forward and I appreciate the assistance!

The move from amps to 'modeling' or 'tone generation' is a paradigm shift I've been prepared to make for many years. I've been waiting patiently for technology to provide the right vehicle. The Axe-FX is that vehicle. There has never been a better time to be a guitarist IMO! :)

Last edited:
Although I'm familiar with, and comfortable with, playing to the sound of a mic'd amp when recording and in live applications I'm very accustomed to playing in the room with the amp most of the time these days. I really thought this was going to be a hurdle for me to get over before switching to a modeler in lieu of tube amps altogether. I'm already over that speedbump. :)

Welcome to the club!

How long have you been accustomed to "amp in the room" sound? I'm surprised it only took you a week to get over that speedbump, as you put it. Why do you suppose it proved to be so easily surmountable?

I am blown away again every week. The other guitarist has a 2x12 next to my little K12. He plays a marshall with a pod for effects. We both agree that the axe/k12 sound every bit as AMPish as his setup. And yeah, he likes my virtual marshall better than his real one.

Welcome to the club!

How long have you been accustomed to "amp in the room" sound? I'm surprised it only took you a week to get over that speedbump, as you put it. Why do you suppose it proved to be so easily surmountable?

I'm not Deaj and I am not speaking for him; but I have always found that guys that are accustomed to doing a lot of recording and/or ran live sound find the speed bump moderate to low if at all.

I'm not Deaj and I am not speaking for him; but I have always found that guys that are accustomed to doing a lot of recording and/or ran live sound find the speed bump moderate to low if at all.
I guess I'm in that category Scott - since I've sort of done both for a long time! It wasn't even a speed bump for me since I was coming from Line6/Boss/Roland modelers anyway. When I go back to my VG99 or GT10 now, I realize how "inferior" they are compared to the Axe.
On the flip side, those who are accustomed to the "amp in the room" sound are those whose speed bumps are the largest. And based on posts on TGP, many never make it over that bump.

I will be an Axe FX Ultra and MFC 101 owner in the very near future, hoping next week and I have to tell you I am so looking forward to getting it, playing with it and off course using live. Having to use backline equipment at venues on the road is terribel at best. Thanks for making this product.

My Ultra arrived today. After a demo of some of the additional presets and effects/features I'm definitely pleased with my decision to upgrade from the Standard. The synth block is far more useful than I'd expected! Also, I liked being able to sample any preset posted on Axe-Exchange without editing. It seems there are more possibilities with time based effects from what I saw and heard in a couple of more complex presets.

The Standard is no slouch. It definitely covers all of the stuff I would incorporate into almost any preset I might be inclined to use. It's a product I would recommend without hesitation! In fact I'm keeping the Standard as a loaner unit. It's going to my brother's place first, then to an old friend once my brother purchases an Ultra (will happen, no doubt about it). Then back here if my friend buys an Axe-FX. I may be playing out or at least playing at jam sessions again by the time the Standard makes it back this way at which time it will be a backup in my rig.

The EV powered FRFR loudspeaker also arrived today and so far I'm happy with it as well. What little I tested at gig/jam volume sounded really great! Once I get the Ultra dialed in for live use with the EV monitor I may well be done with my tube amps. I won't be selling anything until I'm quite sure. Things are looking real good for the Axe-FX replacing amps though. :)

Deaj thanks for giving us your axe-fx tale
quick question, does the ELX112P accommodate a stereo single using both output 1 and output 2 of the axe fx?

Well, the ELX112P has two input channels - both have XLR/balanced inputs and input level controls. The Axe-FX XLR balanced outputs (Output 1) could be connected to both channels and summed for a mono output signal. One of the ELX112P channels also has a pair of RCA/unbalanced inputs. The Axe-FX 1/4" unbalanced outputs (Output 1 or 2) could be connected to to the ELX112P RCA unbalanced inputs and summed for a mono output signal (1/4" to RCA conversion cables or adapters required of course). I took your question to mean that you are sending a stereo pair to FOH (or an audio interface for recording) and you want to mirror that pair to a single monitor. If this is the case then the ELX112P will accommodate either balanced or unbalanced output from the Axe-FX. The unbalanced inputs are RCA only though.

I hope this addresses your question. :)

Last edited:
Quick update to this thread:

After spending a little time with the Axe-FX through the powered EV loudspeaker/monitor I've decided that I'm done with tube amps for recording and live applications. The Axe-FX is every bit as dynamic, expressive, and musical as the many tube amps I've used over the years and it provides consistent results and extraordinary versatility!

My Mesa MkV combo has already sold and shipped. I'm going to hang on to the Egnater Tweaker combo though. It was inexpensive and won't bring much if sold used, and it's a really great sounding amp so I'm better off keeping it.

I now have a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller with the UnO EPROM. I have a high headroom clean patch, a dirty clean patch, a low gain crunch rhythm patch, a medium gain rhythm/lead patch, and a saturated lead patch all built, tweaked, and level balanced at gigging volume against common program material as a level reference. The FCB1010 is set for stompbox mode and programmed to allow access to switchable effects, effect parameters, tap tempo, and tuner/mute on the fly within each preset. Nice! :)

The EV ELX112P is the only FRFR powered monitor I have played through so far. It's definitely getting the job done and with enjoyable results. I expect there are better FRFR monitors available and I'll eventually want to find something closer to being true FRFR. For the time being the EV will do the job nicely for coaxing controllable harmonic feedback from the guitar when recording, for the occasional jam session, and for the rare performance. If my needs ever extend beyond this I'll likely invest in a better powered monitor and a Fractal MFC controller with a couple quality expression pedals.

I'm really glad I did this! :)

Reactions: yek
deaj thanks for the answer. Im looking into buy a fr speaker, possibly the ELX112P, for live stage sound, i plan to go direct into the mixing console, but also use a speaker for stage sound. and yes, come recording time it sounds like it'll come in handy there too :)

and yes, keeping your egnator sounds like a good idea, i think i'll probably hang onto an amp for casual use since its more plug-in-and-play than the axe fx is, if vastly limited :)

Back
Top Bottom