Axe Fx tuner vs Peterson

qjawz

Inspired
I know the axe tuner is super accurate I use it for live venues all the time...but for setups I've been using a boss TU-2 and until recently I had some problems with my intonation (TU-2 said everything was in but it just didn't sound close enough). So I went to a local guitar tech was and he was using a Peterson stroboflip and he highly recommended it he said it was the best thing for setups ever, I guess it gets as accurate as 1/1000 of a semitone. Anyways so I played the guitar right after he intonation it and it was fantastic. So really my question is does the axe tuner deliver the exact same precision so I don't have to spend any money? :D

I don't have any experience on the Peterson, but here's some things I've noticed about the Axe Fx II tuner. It is far more precise than the Ultra's tuner but it can't compete with my TC Electronic Polytune (I don't really use the poly mode that much). The Polytune is super accurate (+-0.5cnts) and what I really like about it is even it's accurate it doesn't do the "back and forward" thing. It settles VERY quickly and still has the superb accuracy. I hope to see the same stability on the Axe fx's tuner some day.

Hard not to trust Peterson.. been around for ages, and its' mostly all they do. I have an old real strobe and a stroborack, have had all kinds of models in between. I think they are pretty close, i like the stroboracks big display, but man that thing adds some weight to a rack real quick. I mainly use it for setups now.

Got a peterson I've had for years and do setups with, Seems to be spot on with the axe tuner

Every good repair guy I know uses Peterson. I have two myself but have never compared it to the Axe (I also use a TC Electronic Polytune). I'll do a comparison later today.

I have a Sonic Research ST122 Chromatic Strobe Tuner, which I love!! It's very very accurate,
and it seems to agree very well with the fractal axe 2 tuner !!

Outstanding!

However I am gonna keep it though sometimes it's very handy to have a small
tuner for repair work and such. But the axe tuner is way better than I expected it to be.

//Kenneth

I've used nothing but Petersons for a number of years now. I basically have one of each model of their virtual strobes and 2 flips. Are they more accurate than the II?...? Absolutely. Wether or not it's worth it to you for the extra weight is for you to decide. I've recently moved my StroboRack out of my rig and now use it for recording and setups. I have a StroboFlip to tune up between sets and I use the AFX if I ever need to tune mid set. I'm not sure I'm sold on not having the StroboRack on stage. It really is super accurate and easy to see.

I know the axe tuner is super accurate I use it for live venues all the time...but for setups I've been using a boss TU-2 and until recently I had some problems with my intonation (TU-2 said everything was in but it just didn't sound close enough). So I went to a local guitar tech was and he was using a Peterson stroboflip and he highly recommended it he said it was the best thing for setups ever, I guess it gets as accurate as 1/1000 of a semitone. Anyways so I played the guitar right after he intonation it and it was fantastic. So really my question is does the axe tuner deliver the exact same precision so I don't have to spend any money? :D

I endorse Peterson products and I find the Axe II tuner to be excellent...
I use both regularly! (Not at the same time though ;-)

I prefer a strobe for intonation...

If I'm setting intonation then out comes the strobe tuner. For everything else, I use whatever tuner is in the gear I'm using. It's probably down to my poor technique more than anything else, but playing live, I'm more likely to have fretted the note sharp than the tuner being out.

I know when I'm at home I get paranoid about tuning and am constantly fiddling. On stage though, I do a cursory check before a song that I know will expose poor tuning (anything with "A" shape barre chords up the neck), otherwise I only adjust it if I hear something's moved, which isn't that often.

I use a TC Polytuner, having tried for a while just to use the Axe2. I dug out the old Polytuner again after a catastrophic tuning problem halfway through a song, which required a bass solo while I sorted it out, thanks to the Axe' going backwards and forwards thing.

The Polytuner however tells you in the one view which strings are out, and you can often tune them all immediately without having to go down to one string at a time. As the singer and lone guitarist in my band, this is very helpful.. I would prefer just to use the Axe, so would ask maybe they include a polytune (all strings at once) facility - if that's poss...?

I have a Peterson StroboStomp, and it's too accurate for me--the bands never stop moving and it drives me crazy. I'm using the Axe -- still firmware 9 I think, not 10 yet -- and my only complaint is that the bar works great but the circle doesn't always seem to correspond to it, while the previous firmware version seemed perfect to me. Just my observations, a lot of factors involved in vibrating strings, intonation, etc.

I have a Peterson Stroborack in my live rig and one for home, most accurate tuners on the planet without a doubt.

I had a stroborack, but took it out in favour of the AXE. That was the standard as well - very little discrepency between the two and for live/general playing absolutely no need for the Strob. For set-ups? if you have a strobe use it, its just the best. If you dont the AFX2 is more than adequate I feel, and wouldnt consider a specific purchase of a Peterson unless I was doing Lots of set-ups - in which case its kind of an industry standard tool and worth it.

Now that the Axe II has that magic 8 ball (which essentially serves the same function as a strobe) I'd say it's accurate enough. I do wish it reported the note + octave instead of something it believes to be "string 6" etc.

@ paulmapp; Yeah, I agree with you. As for a quick tune-up, the Axe does just fine, it's just really convenient to see that huge strobe screen onstage. I do a good deal of setups on my friends guitars as well as my own, it just drives me crazy when I'm jamming with someone and they don't realize that they're a little out. I get kinda ocd about it!

I just got my Tuner today AT WORK. With a coupon got it for $300. It looks really cool ,but I wonder if it is a waster of $$ since I just play at home?

It is far more precise than the Ultra's tuner but it can't compete with my TC Electronic Polytune (I don't really use the poly mode that much). The Polytune is super accurate (+-0.5cnts) and what I really like about it is even it's accurate it doesn't do the "back and forward" thing. It settles VERY quickly and still has the superb accuracy. I hope to see the same stability on the Axe fx's tuner some day.

+1

The accuracy bit is more a function of the speed and "Settling" I think. Most tuners are going to be "accurate" enough for folk as they say (or jazz, or whatever you play...!!).

Playing live, the display has got to be clear, and it must settle immediately so you're not standing watching it.

The polytune bit is for me the killer; you don't have to go down to one string at a time. Just tweek them all quickly and it's done.

Back
Top Bottom