Axe FX too overkill for bedroom only playing?

But they don’t give you the same amp in the room feel. That’s why many people buy powercabs I guess cause they want a more amp in the room experience

The question is, can I get powercab to play at low volumes where it will sound ok
What do you mean by amp in the room feel? It means different things to different people. If you mean that you feel that thump when you palm mute or something close to that then I can say from experience that with an frfr powered speaker at quiet volume it "feels" better than any modeling amp I've ever tried and you can dial that feel in with all the parameters that you can mess with.

But they don’t give you the same amp in the room feel.

I never understood this. My "feel" is when I hear amazing tone. It's the complaint I hear that I just don't get. I've been using some form of modeling gear for the better part of 20 years. I couldn't care less about "amp in the room feel". I honestly don't even know what that means after having amps, pedals, modelers, etc over my lifetime.

Sound coming out of a speaker has waves. They are same. Doesn't matter what the source is. The "feel" is the same dependent on volume. It's the actual sound that is important to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLD
I never understood this. My "feel" is when I hear amazing tone. It's the complaint I hear that I just don't get. I've been using some form of modeling gear for the better part of 20 years. I couldn't care less about "amp in the room feel". I honestly don't even know what that means after having amps, pedals, modelers, etc over my lifetime.

Sound coming out of a speaker has waves. They are same. Doesn't matter what the source is. The "feel" is the same dependent on volume. It's the actual sound that is important to me.
It has alot to do with how the speaker interacts with the guitar. It's more of a feel thing. PA type and studio monitors just feel sterile to alot of players including myself. It's the whole reason behind the celestion F12-x200 design. I've A/B studio monitors, PA type, and headrush against the F12s....it is a thing. And it is glorious.

For me, if I were looking for a secondary amp setup for low volumes I'd look at something like Catalyst/katana etc but I already have my main Axe III rig. If i was putting together my only rig for home /bdrm level usage I'd just do it right the first time and go with the FM3 or FM9 and likely Yamaha HS7/8s and be done with it.

Have you seen how much people spend on their pedal collection? Not just the pedals they’ve currently got, but how many have been bought, then sold at a loss.

Must have missed my next line:

"You end up with the potential for world class tone in an easily portable/gig ready package, and probably for less than a lot of boutique options in the box. DEFINITELY for less once you toss in a board capable of a fraction of what's available."

For me, if I were looking for a secondary amp setup for low volumes I'd look at something like Catalyst/katana etc but I already have my main Axe III rig. If i was putting together my only rig for home /bdrm level usage I'd just do it right the first time and go with the FM3 or FM9 and likely Yamaha HS7/8s and be done with it.

I had a Katana and didn't like it at all. I've listened to John Cordy's YT video on the Catalyst and wasn't impressed with the sound it made. Especially as an FRFR for a modeler.

I had a Katana and didn't like it at all. I've listened to John Cordy's YT video on the Catalyst and wasn't impressed with the sound it made. Especially as an FRFR for a modeler.

are you really thinking you will get a real representation from watching a video? lol

for you really compare, you would have to connect to your Axe fx3 or FM3 to a Katana/Catalyst and hear for yourself live how it sounds. Did you have a Katana mk1 or mk2? cause only the mk2 has power amp in for modelers

The advantage of these amps is the 0.5w attenuator which most powercabs do not have

People mention powered monitors, that's ok, but is not a nice looking setup imo youre bound to 2 monitors all the time, pretty much bound to the computer desk even if the monitors are powered

with a powercab/katana with FM3/Axe FX, you can move that anywhere very easily, it looks like actual guitar rig as well

Last edited:

are you really thinking you will get a real representation from watching a video? lol

for you really compare, you would have to connect to your Axe fx3 or FM3 to a Katana/Catalyst and hear for yourself live how it sounds. Did you have a Katana mk1 or mk2? cause only the mk2 has power amp in for modelers

The advantage of these amps is the 0.5w attenuator which most powercabs do not have

People mention powered monitors, that's ok, but is not a nice looking setup imo youre bound to 2 monitors all the time, pretty much bound to the computer desk even if the monitors are powered

with a powercab/katana with FM3/Axe FX, you can move that anywhere very easily, it looks like actual guitar rig as well

I listen to these videos through my studio monitors, and am listening for very specific things.

I had a Katana MkII and didn't like it at all. I even A/B'd it with an HX Stomp through it and through my studio monitors and the sound was awful to me through the Katana.

Again, powered monitors or FRFR speakers don't need attenuators. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you.

It's seems you've made up your mind on what you want. Have a blast with it.

There is a video where someone is using a Powercab live in a band with a modeler. Not sure it's axe or QC. It sounds very good and other guitar is using traditional amp and cab. And the PC user is the lead guitar. It's a cellphone clip I do believe. Very convincing

I listen to these videos through my studio monitors, and am listening for very specific things.

I had a Katana MkII and didn't like it at all. I even A/B'd it with an HX Stomp through it and through my studio monitors and the sound was awful to me through the Katana.

Again, powered monitors or FRFR speakers don't need attenuators. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you.

It's seems you've made up your mind on what you want. Have a blast with it.

You have Fractal equipment, you were biased to dislike the Katana, of course, a cheap $300 amp is not going to sound anywhere near as good as a $3000 modeler. For people who have never tried Axe FX, Helix, Neural DSP, Kemper, etc the Katana probably sounds awesome to them.

Powered monitors bound you to a desk and look nothing like a guitar rig setup and FRFR speakers, based on reviews I read on forums, Amazon, etc people complain that they are very loud even at the lowest volume setting.

The point is Fractal is not for everyone and not everyone has or wants to spend that much money to play in their room. The FM3 is "affordable" but then you need to buy good powered monitors, it adds up to the total. What I don't like about this studio monitor setup is that it bounds you to a desk, is not very portable or nice looking, it just doesn't look like a guitar rig.

The only reason I was considering the Katana is because for one I tried it in person, where can you try an Axe Fx? and it has the 0.5w setting, so I assumed it would be good for low volumes bedroom playing.

If I were to get an Axe FX, I'd rather have a more guitar-like setup, such as a cabinet with the rack on top of it. That's the look I like and I would go for. The idea of having an FM3 on my desk with monitors around it, pretty bound to a desk, I guess is the modern thing to do these days, but I don't find it too appealing that's all. I prefer the old school look of amps

You have Fractal equipment, you were biased to dislike the Katana, of course, a cheap $300 amp is not going to sound anywhere near as good as a $3000 modeler. For people who have never tried Axe FX, Helix, Neural DSP, Kemper, etc the Katana probably sounds awesome to them.

Powered monitors bound you to a desk and look nothing like a guitar rig setup and FRFR speakers, based on reviews I read on forums, Amazon, etc people complain that they are very loud even at the lowest volume setting.

The point is Fractal is not for everyone and not everyone has or wants to spend that much money to play in their room. The FM3 is "affordable" but then you need to buy good powered monitors, it adds up to the total. What I don't like about this studio monitor setup is that it bounds you to a desk, is not very portable or nice looking, it just doesn't look like a guitar rig.

The only reason I was considering the Katana is because for one I tried it in person, where can you try an Axe Fx? and it has the 0.5w setting, so I assumed it would be good for low volumes bedroom playing.

If I were to get an Axe FX, I'd rather have a more guitar-like setup, such as a cabinet with the rack on top of it. That's the look I like and I would go for. The idea of having an FM3 on my desk with monitors around it, pretty bound to a desk, I guess is the modern thing to do these days, but I don't find it too appealing that's all. I prefer the old school look of amps

I may have misunderstood you, but I thought we were talking about you plugging in a Fractal through the Katana and using it as a speaker solution. Because that's what I'M talking about. I wouldn't call $300 studio monitors expensive. Isn't that what the Katana costs?

We are talking about sound here. What sounds better to me can definitely not sound better to you. You do you and have fun with it.

I may have misunderstood you, but I thought we were talking about you plugging in a Fractal through the Katana and using it as a speaker solution. Because that's what I'M talking about. I wouldn't call $300 studio monitors expensive. Isn't that what the Katana costs?

We are talking about sound here. What sounds better to me can definitely not sound better to you. You do you and have fun with it.

I was just considering possibilities for me. I have never tried Axe Fx in person, let alone, Axe Fx plugged to a Katana or a FRFR speaker, studio monitors, powercab, etc. How am I supposed to know what would work best for me when I can't try shit?

I prefer the look of amps/racks. The FM3 is cool and all, affordable, but I'd rather an Axe Fx in a rack with a power condenser, then the rack on top of a powercab ideally or an amp. I prefer this look and convenience over having a little lunchbox on my desk or near the desk with monitors next to it.

I only considered the idea of Axe Fx through Katana due to the 0.5w. I don't know if a powercab such as Line 6 powercab or Friedman Asc, would allow me to play at low volume, considering they don't have builtin attenuators.

The friedman claims to be a monitor for modelers and can be used in stereo, my concern is if it can do low volumes

I was just considering possibilities for me. I have never tried Axe Fx in person, let alone, Axe Fx plugged to a Katana or a FRFR speaker, studio monitors, powercab, etc. How am I supposed to know what would work best for me when I can't try shit?

I prefer the look of amps/racks. The FM3 is cool and all, affordable, but I'd rather an Axe Fx in a rack with a power condenser, then the rack on top of a powercab ideally or an amp. I prefer this look and convenience over having a little lunchbox on my desk or near the desk with monitors next to it.

I only considered the idea of Axe Fx through Katana due to the 0.5w. I don't know if a powercab such as Line 6 powercab or Friedman Asc, would allow me to play at low volume, considering they don't have builtin attenuators.

The friedman claims to be a monitor for modelers and can be used in stereo, my concern is if it can do low volumes
You can save a ton of money and have a great rig if you have skills/tools to DIY a F12-x200 cab. Speaker runs about $180 and you can pick up a used rack amp cheap. My stereo F12 setup with amp cost about the same as 2 headrush FRFR12s but sounds and feels much more like a traditional amp...and it takes IRs great. They are decent at lower volumes but really shine when you crank them. If you are in the St. Louis area I could even help you build them...you supply materials and speakers of course. I'd recommend building two tho for a stereo rig.

You can save a ton of money and have a great rig if you have skills/tools to DIY a F12-x200 cab. Speaker runs about $180 and you can pick up a used rack amp cheap. My stereo F12 setup with amp cost about the same as 2 headrush FRFR12s but sounds and feels much more like a traditional amp...and it takes IRs great. They are decent at lower volumes but really shine when you crank them. If you are in the St. Louis area I could even help you build them...you supply materials and speakers of course. I'd recommend building two tho for a stereo rig.

is there any other option? Is there a powered monitor that looks like a cabinet? where I can put a rack or FM3 on top of it?

I'd rather have the traditional look of an amp as much as possible. How come the Katana and Catalyst have a 0.5w built attenuator in them, but most power cabinets out there do not have attenuators.

When you can't try anything, is almost impossible to decide to what to get or what to pair. I read countless of posts on reddit and here of people being disappointed in Axe Fx or that they end up hating it for all the money they spent, they thought it would sound a lot better and it didnt

Back
Top Bottom