Axe Fx through Active monitors and PA. Differences?

Apart from acoustic conditions, sound engineer, etc, in a live situation.
Can i expect the sound i get from a good pair of studio monitors to be more or less the same through a PA?

Studio monitors altough small are FRFR as well so i don't need a bigger FRFR system to test right?
I hope not as i want to keep volume down at home anyway.

Depends on your monitors and the PA. There are excellent monitors. There are crappy ones, too. The same thing goes for PAs.

That said, good studio monitors in a treated room are your best bet for accuracy. The rest is up to the gear and the people running it.

I think volume is the big difference for testing. Patches I make on my Adam A3 studio monitors at home sound over-processed or have other issues at gig volume. If I turn up the monitors to tweak at home, they are closer at gig volume, but there is still a difference between different FRFR systems.

Apply the normal procedure as with a mic'ed cab signal

You will not normally be hearing the PA properly when playing - so basically your tones need to sound good to you through whatever you are using to monitor yourself on stage at the volume you'd normally use with the whole band playing. Then let the PA eq whatever you send it to suit the room.

If you're lucky, the eq settings on your channel(s) will be more or less correct with the same desk/speakers in other rooms too.

I consider myself lucky to hear anything coming back through the monitor system. Usually the muppet manning the monitor desk is the least experienced of the in house engineers. Possibly a volunteer or an intern. You want it to sound good too? Heresy! ;)

To my experience sound through PA monitors generally comes through a bit fatter and better, due to power, number and size of the speakers

I think volume is the big difference for testing. Patches I make on my Adam A3 studio monitors at home sound over-processed or have other issues at gig volume. If I turn up the monitors to tweak at home, they are closer at gig volume, but there is still a difference between different FRFR systems.
This is expected.
Apply the normal procedure as with a mic'ed cab signal

You will not normally be hearing the PA properly when playing - so basically your tones need to sound good to you through whatever you are using to monitor yourself on stage at the volume you'd normally use with the whole band playing. Then let the PA eq whatever you send it to suit the room.

If you're lucky, the eq settings on your channel(s) will be more or less correct with the same desk/speakers in other rooms too.
I use InEars; FRFR is to add more sound and atmosphere, and as a backup if InEars amunition fails.

I consider myself lucky to hear anything coming back through the monitor system. Usually the muppet manning the monitor desk is the least experienced of the in house engineers. Possibly a volunteer or an intern. You want it to sound good too? Heresy! ;)
What does the house engineer has to do with the sound you get? If you got your own FRFR's you're the man on the helm!

To my experience sound through PA monitors generally comes through a bit fatter and better, due to power, number and size of the speakers
This is expected! They also compress more!

I wanted my studio sound to translate live as closely as possible.

My studio setup in a pair of CLR's and a turbo sound sub.

My live PA is a pair of CLR's and a turbo sound sub.

Other than Fletcher-Munson volume issues I'd say it translates rather well!

Back
Top Bottom