Axe-FX standard is the worst purchase I have ever made

grunge782

Because now all i want is the friggin Ultra... :x

I have to say, I am very impressed especially by the amp simulations. I do believe it lives up to its hype. However, after trying out all the cool fx on the standard, I am dying to try all the stuff on the Ultra.

I've never found myself writing stuff like this before. This thing is seriously powerful and I never knew I was such an fx junkie :ugeek: .

One thing I noticed was the graphic eq on the standard only goes up to 8k. I'm not sure if this differs from the Ultra, but it kind of irks me. I like cutting off the high end around 16k, and being a little bit more specific in the middle range with it.

Very impressed, but I have to start saving... again :roll:

Reddy Kilowatt said:
The graphic EQ on the Ultra is the same. If you want to go even higher, use the parametric EQ.

Yeah i did that and pretty much got what I want, but i still found it kinda lame that the graphic was only 8 band. w/e that was really my only complaint. This thing is killer :D

You're using electic guitar sounds that have 16KHz content???

Most guitar speakes have cut of all content by abot *KHz so there's no point in a higher band. However, if you're using acoustic then ...

GM Arts said:

Most guitar speakes have cut of all content by abot *KHz so there's no point in a higher band. However, if you're using acoustic then ...

*KHz? Wow! That must be like, beyond infinity high! The Axe Fx sure is powerful ;)

GM Arts said:

Yeah, I have a graphic eq that I used for my other amps at 16k. I would cut out all the annoying ass fizz up top. So yes, I did hear those frequencies. And when I used the parametric eq for those frequencies on the Axe I heard them cut out and a big improvement in tone.

Maybe your ears have lost hearing in those frequencies :p

Plus, I like using a graphic eq that is more specific with smaller intervals. I really like to well define my midrange.

It seemed like with such a strong unit it shouldn't have been that hard to make it verbose enough. Maybe I am the only one who thinks this. w/e its not that big of a deal, i just was surprised thats all.

grunge782 said:
i still found it kinda lame that the graphic was only 8 band.

I agree. I was hoping for something like the MXR 10-band graphic that I used to own. That is such a cool and easy to use EQ for guitar. And yes, the 16 khz band really does help with a real amp and cab. You get harmonic content and fizz all the way up there.

But I just use the parametric if I need to do a high end roll off like that.

Karl Houseknecht said:
grunge782 said:

I agree. I was hoping for something like the MXR 10-band graphic that I used to own. That is such a cool and easy to use EQ for guitar. And yes, the 16 khz band really does help with a real amp and cab. You get harmonic content and fizz all the way up there.

You can also use a filter, It is basically a 1 band PEQ.

javajunkie said:
Karl Houseknecht said:
grunge782 said:

Oh you are right... I shall do that then.

I guarantee you are not hearing 16k. You are hearing the roll off of the filter from 16k downwards and changes in intermodulation. harmonics etc. Its a complicated thing. My hearing is only sensitive to pure tones up to 12.5k (which isn't bad for a 53 year old musician) but I can still 'hear' the effect on complex sounds of filters with a nominal centre frequency of 20k and mix accordingly.

vinnieRice said:
I guarantee you are not hearing 16k. You are hearing the roll off of the filter from 16k downwards and changes in intermodulation. harmonics etc. Its a complicated thing. My hearing is only sensitive to pure tones up to 12.5k (which isn't bad for a 53 year old musician) but I can still 'hear' the effect on complex sounds of filters with a nominal centre frequency of 20k and mix accordingly.

So then why when I cut out all the other frequencies besides 16k do I still hear a sound?

And even if it is the roll of of the filter from the 16k, that roll off takes care of the fizz.

And besides the roll off from that, having a larger amount of controls still would interest me because you can be more specific in the frequencies you are boosting or cutting.

javajunkie said:
Karl Houseknecht said:
grunge782 said:

On the wishlist Radley suggested a new feature for the GEQ which would allow you to apply a global scale and offset to the bands. A variation of this might allow you to run two GEQs in series to get a 16-band graphic EQ.

grunge782 said:
vinnieRice said:

So then why when I cut out all the other frequencies besides 16k do I still hear a sound?

And even if it is the roll of of the filter from the 16k, that roll off takes care of the fizz.

And besides the roll off from that, having a larger amount of controls still would interest me because you can be more specific in the frequencies you are boosting or cutting.

I'm not arguing the desirability of more controls. just pointing out that graphic eq's are not the surgical instruments that people think they are. To model one that sounds 'analogue' and correct also takes a lot of processing power which is why, I presume, Cliff has limited the number of bands.

logicroxx said:
GM Arts said:

*KHz? Wow! That must be like, beyond infinity high! The Axe Fx sure is powerful ;)
stupid keyboard can't read my mind :lol:

Just as well you guys can. Of course what I meant was:

Most guitar speakers cut all content above about 8KHz so there's no point in a higher band.

grunge782 said:

The GEQ cuts by only about -12dB, so yes you may hear a tiny amount of all frequencies.

The AxeFX doesn't suffer from the same "fizz problem" evident in other modellers, not to be confused with the desirable and natural fuzz. But I tame unwanted high end in most of my patches with band 5 of the PEQ set to blocking mode. This is way more effective than any graphic with any amount of bands. It's also more flexible - you can adjust Q to set the cutoff slope.

GM Arts said:
grunge782 said:

The GEQ cuts by only about -12dB, so yes you may hear a tiny amount of all frequencies.

The AxeFX doesn't suffer from the same "fizz problem" evident in other modellers, not to be confused with the desirable and natural fuzz. But I tame unwanted high end in most of my patches with band 5 of the PEQ set to blocking mode. This is way more effective than any graphic with any amount of bands. It's also more flexible - you can adjust Q to set the cutoff slope.

Oh ok...

To be honest, any amp I have plugged in gets some of that unwanted fizz way up high. The Axe most definitely doesn't have the fizz of say a line 6, but it is still their for me.

And yes, I use a PEQ now to get rid of that instead.

On the wishlist Radley suggested a new feature for the GEQ which would allow you to apply a global scale and offset to the bands. A variation of this might allow you to run two GEQs in series to get a 16-band graphic EQ.

:D this is something i would be interested in.

Back
Top Bottom