Axe FX Recording/Bedroom Setup - Need advice

nwolfe88

So I'm going to be putting together a recording/jam/practice setup in my room and need some advice on the components I need to get in order to make this a sick ass setup. I'm going studio monitors, but not sure which ones. I need advice on a monitors/sub setup and a good audio interface to use so I can play music from the computer and hear the Axe Fx throught it as well.

1. Anyone suggest a pair of 8" monitors that pair nicely with the Axe? A sub?
2. Interface?
3. Certain cables to use?
4. Is spdif the recommended connection for the interface?

I just want this setup to sound as good as possible, so any help would be great. Thanks!

Price range would be helpful to know for items 1 and 2. This will narrow down the suggestions from the community here.

For what it's worth...I run kRK G2 rokit 8's, great bang for the buck, and the axe sounds pretty stellar through these. Decent enough recording monitor as well.

Interface for midi or for recording? PC or Mac? Price range will be huge on this one as well...

Under 1k for 1. and under 500 for 2. That's just a guess. I'd just like to keep it somewhat affordable. Interface for midi (to download Axe firmware, etc), and to use for recording. It's a PC.

I just upgraded my interface to a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24. It's a really sweet unit. You can get them new on eBay for about $330. I'd stay away from M-Audio monitors. Have a pair on KRK Rokit 5 G2s on the way right now.

Does the Sapphire Pro use SPDIF? I heard that's the connection to use if you want the best sound quality out of the Axe, I could be wrong of course. I was looking at the Yamaha HS80m's and the sub....I've looked at the KRK's too. I've heard the Yammy's go great with the Axe

Does the Sapphire Pro use SPDIF? I heard that's the connection to use if you want the best sound quality out of the Axe...
It would be a little surprising if you heard that specifically about the AxeFx as opposed to generically. From what gets posted here I'd say most people use the analog outs.

I like the Focusrite Saffire series as well. The Saffire Mix control isn't the most intuitive when you install it, but makes sense once you get going. I have had the Pro24 and the Pro40. The Pro40 has tons of I/O but was overkill for what I needed. The Pro24 has really good I/O (including spdif IN which is what you want if using spdif out on the AxeFX). It even includes ADAT light pipe which a lot of digital mixers use if you want to expand in the future. I actually preferred using analog connections because the AxeFX REQUIRES that if you use spdif you lock to it (set your audio interface as slave or "external" clock source and using 48Khz sample rate). Because the Saffire was my main audio/midi interface when I went to play audio off the PC or on YouTube or something and the AxeFX wasn't on I would have to reset the clock rate to internal and 44.1K. Anyway, using the analog outs was fine and sounded great, maybe just a slightly higher noise floor than using spdif.
I use ADAM A5's nearfield monitors and I really like them -- If I could do it again with more budget I'd go Adam A7's... awesome.

I run the Axe through a Fast Track Pro, and krk rokit 8, and let me tell you it sounds amazing for less than 1k (not including the axe fx off course! lol).

Do you think I'd need a sub with the KRK 8's? I might be getting a 7 string...

And that Sapphire Pro 24 looks nice...might be picking that up.

I have KRK VXT 4 but am yet learning my ways with Axe-Fx.

The Axe-Fx factory presets were made on Event 20/20 speakers, if this helps you.

I like the Focusrite Saffire series as well. The Saffire Mix control isn't the most intuitive when you install it, but makes sense once you get going. I have had the Pro24 and the Pro40. The Pro40 has tons of I/O but was overkill for what I needed. The Pro24 has really good I/O (including spdif IN which is what you want if using spdif out on the AxeFX). It even includes ADAT light pipe which a lot of digital mixers use if you want to expand in the future. I actually preferred using analog connections because the AxeFX REQUIRES that if you use spdif you lock to it (set your audio interface as slave or "external" clock source and using 48Khz sample rate). Because the Saffire was my main audio/midi interface when I went to play audio off the PC or on YouTube or something and the AxeFX wasn't on I would have to reset the clock rate to internal and 44.1K. Anyway, using the analog outs was fine and sounded great, maybe just a slightly higher noise floor than using spdif.
I use ADAM A5's nearfield monitors and I really like them -- If I could do it again with more budget I'd go Adam A7's... awesome.

Is the mix control the recording software that comes with it? Is the Saffire compatible with Cubase or Pro Tools? What software do you use?

1. Anyone suggest a pair of 8" monitors that pair nicely with the Axe? A sub?

JBL 2328P Please follow the link. You wont need a sub with these but that's your call.

2. Interface?

I was considering the Lexicon U42. Bought a Lexicon I-Onix U82 used on ebay for $300. A little bit of overkill but very happy with it. Came recommended by Scott Peterson and LMO. Works on both Mac or PC. Also includes midi capabilities for Axe-edit, so you wont need another box.

3. Certain cables to use?

just avoid cheap and nasty. :evil I use Mogami, Canare and Sommer cables, with neutrik connectors. :geek

4. Is spdif the recommended connection for the interface?

NO... just go balanced... but try both methods and see what you prefer. I used balanced and its sweet.

I just want this setup to sound as good as possible, so any help would be great. Thanks!

your welcome, cheers and Happy Trails. :)

I use Adam A7s for monitors in my studio and they sound really good. Very smooth.

I would say that, given the right monitor system, you don't need a sub. Even on a 7 string, you won't be pushing a lot of fundamental info down in the 35-55hz range, on a guitar. There is some stuff happening down there, but not enough to warrant spending a lot of cash on a subwoofer. If you're going to be mixing and making music, then it might be needed depending on your system and your room.

The room is key.

When I setup my new studio in the second bedroom in my apartment (which is not a "properly designed" room), I put my speakers in place in basically an empty room and listened to my favorite albums. I moved the speakers closer and further to the wall by mere inches and payed close attention to the imaging and clarity I was hearing. Once I found the place wehre the sound seemed to be the most focused I left them there and proceeded to put up all of my bass trapping and my various absorbers and diffusers.

The result is a monitoring environment that rivals and often beats many of the pro studios I've been in. Some of my engineer buddies are pretty amazed and the amount of detail and stereo imaging I get in my little apartment based control room.

Get the the right speakers in the right position within your room, and the job is 90% done.

Back
Top Bottom