Axe FX Rack Interface Panels In The UK!

Hi Paul - I built one myself using thru connectors like these - ww.gapco.co.uk/TRS-TRS.html. I used 1/4" and XLR (and midi!) and you can also get RJ45 aswell. Buy the pre-punched rack panels from eBay, use D-type connectors and buy some short cables. Well under £120 or so! Think I used M5 screws & bolts but you can also get hex-type connectors. Works like a treat without the soldering!

Dave
Halifax

If I had the time and trusted myself to do it then yeah I'd do it myself. I'm just no good at that sort of thing and would prefer for someone else who does good quality work to do it. I'm sure there's other axe user out there in the UK like me who would prefer this.

Its really as simply at turning a screwdriver mate. You can buy everything prepunched, the connectors pre-wired etc. All you do is use 2 little machine screws to attach each connector to the rack panel.

Even if you buy one all pr-done up for you, you still have do get out the screw driver to attach the 4 sheet metal screws to attach the rack panel to your rack rail.

I think people get away with charging the prices they do for work-for-hire stuff because people mistakenly think they can't do things themselves.

When I was young I thought I had to take my guitar into the shop to get the strings changed. I didn't know how to do it, thought it was complicated, so I ended up paying many times over the price of strings for the shop to do what was a 5 minute job. They happily took my money too.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I didn't research this enough oh well my fault really. I've actually been looking at feed through connectors online and I might need to change a couple of things after all but I can do that myself. Looks like I've surprised myself lol.

Just one question do you guys think I should put a USB 3.0 or 2.0 connector in the rack panel? Does the Axe work with 3.0?

Cheers

Paul

Looks well made - but yeh as others have said - a tad expensive.

I did one myself - not so nice labeling (did it on a labeller though - not hand written) and not as neat on the back with the cable boots - but around £80 all in and about an hour with a soldering iron.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I didn't research this enough oh well my fault really. I've actually been looking at feed through connectors online and I might need to change a couple of things after all but I can do that myself. Looks like I've surprised myself lol.

Just one question do you guys think I should put a USB 3.0 or 2.0 connector in the rack panel? Does the Axe work with 3.0?

Cheers

Paul
USB 2 is just fine Paul :)

It's not my style to name and shame a person or company. But I have to warn against doing business with Vafamsound these days. I had a custom panel ordered and it arrived incomplete and faulty. Even though the current owner made several promises, they never fixed it and stopped communicating entirely.

It's such a shame as the previous owner, Hans, was a great and helpful guy.

I made my own myself using soldered connectors. That was the easy part, as I like soldering. It relaxes me. The drilling the holes in the panel on the other hand......

The vented panels are what I like to use because they are very, very, easy to cut out the holes using a Dremel cut-off wheel, since most of the material is already missing. Working with the solid ones is a little difficult to cut through, so I'd go pre-punched if I went that route, but I think the vented panels look cooler, and certainly add a touch of extra ventilation in the rack case.

Back
Top Bottom