AXE FX or Pedals?...opinions please

RickTN

Inspired
I currently use a Mastermind GT22 with a rack mounted preamp, amp, and (2) rack shelves of actual pedals all going into a midi looper/switcher.

I am considering buying a new AXE FX in place of all the pedals.

For those who have done both, what's your opinion on best way to go. Money really no issue (as long as my wife don't see the charges...:)). If you've gone away from pedals and strictly to AXE FX were you happy with the move? Would you do it differently if you could go back?

If I'm totally happy with the AXE FX I could easily sell the pedals/loopers/power bricks...and even the ENgl Preamp and come out ahead $$-wise (although like I said, that's not really the issue).

Thanks in advance for your opinions...........

The Axe-Fx II is better all around. You'll love it. Sell that stuff and revel in not having to lug that crap around any more.

I am biased.

Your question is a little like walking into the Vatican and asking what the best religion is. I doubt you will hear too many if any opinions that you NOT go the Axe route.

Your question is a little like walking into the Vatican and asking what the best religion is. I doubt you will hear too many if any opinions that you NOT go the Axe route.
I understand.....and I should have put that in my original post. I'm sure 99.9% of you guys love your AXE's or you wouldn't be hanging around on this forum.

It's just a big leap to cut the cord to my pedals after tweaking the mix for so long into the ones I really like and use. But ti would be much simpler to use the AXE and I'm sure it has all these pedal sounds and much more. Really just wondering if anyone had any regrets after ditching the pedals.

Thanks for the replies..........

Ive used a lot of rackmounts and pedals and i can say that hands down racks are just a better choice. No patch cables, no batteries, not having to make a heavy pedal board to haul around. In my opinion a rackmount processor is just a better setup and not just the ax fx any rackmount seems to just be easier to deal with. As far as cutting the cord to your pedals trust me there is pretty much nothing the ax fx cant do. Thousands, literally thousands of sounds you can get from this processor, not to mention tone matching (Which should just be printed on virtually every flat surface of the ax fx since its just THAT awesome). Ive used everything from a gsp5, gsp 21, 2101, rocktron, alesis and lots of others but the ax fx is just a flat out monster.

Well if money is no issue to you just keep the pedals and give it a year or so to A/B them - so you won't regrett it if your would miss your pedals.
I bought a couple of Xotic pedals (EP Booster + AC Comp). There is a slight hearable difference in favour of the real pedals, but I suppose it's maybe a matter of dial them in and more then this, it wasn't worth the hassle of using extra cables and stomp on them while with the Axe you can change many pedals at once with scenes. So I gave them back and don't regrett it.

yea.....I've rotated pedals in and out for 3 yrs now and finally happy. 3 Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, and Big Sky)... a line buffer, ISP noise Eliminator, Wampler Ego Compressor, Wampler Pinnacle, Wampler Tumnus (great little new pedal), Fulltone OCD, and a fuzz that changes often and don't use it much. 2 rack sliding shelves and 2 power bricks. All custom wired with George L wiring and connectors. Every pedal run into 2 Voodoo Lab HEX loopers mounted on each shelf. Midi from one HEX to the other HEX then to Mobius then to Timeline then to Big Sky. All connected to a Mastermind GT22. Looks nice...LOL

The answer to your inquiry may vary with the types of pedals in question... Which pedals are you currently utilizing?
Though the Axe FX II platform provides many options is this arena, you may find a subset of effects that are irreplaceable or conversely, rendered obsolete, e.g., drive pedals: the amplifier models simulate overdrive so desirable that I seldom utilize drive pedals as core elements within the presets that I create. My endorsements notwithstanding, other users have expressed disappointment with fuzz models (I consider the available fuzz simulations to be quite capable)...

I have read your post- feel free to ignore most of mine...

The OCD model is fantastic; you will no longer require the Wamplers

The Axe will replace many pedals, but it comes at somewhat of a cost at times. An example is the Strymon Big Sky. In the AxeFX, recreating this involves pitch/multidelay/reverb/etcetera. When you have to use 60 percent of the preset's CPU to recreate one pedal, you are now limited to the remaining 30 percent (the CPU maxes out at 90, not 100) for the rest of your patch. Obviously this is a hassle at times. As amazing as the Axe can be, you may eventually have to decide between limited versatility or buying a pedal. Thankfully using both is very simple with the effects loop block. Just my opinion.

Get the Axe Fx and give it a run. Depending on your preference, you can return one or sell the others.

I had a normal sized pedalboard, nothing huge refrigerator rackish, but replaced that and a nice Mesa Road King II rig with the Axe Fx and haven't regretted the move, now nearing 5 years in. I say jump, I love mine. And go for the high cliff, as you said... XL+ or nothing!

Back
Top Bottom