Axe-Fx MHC (Midi Hand Controller)

tony_cb

Axe-Fx MHC 01.jpg Some time ago I saw the Fxunits RAC12 MKII which looked like a really useful controller.
Then I saw Piing's discussion about his knob controller which he had not finished and also the great midi information by Nero which yek put on the Wiki. So I thought I would have a go at making an Arduino Mega based hand controller.
I have now finished the prototype and here are some photos:

Axe-Fx MHC 01.jpg Axe-Fx MHC 02.jpg Axe-Fx MHC 03.jpg Axe-Fx MHC 04.jpg Axe-Fx MHC 05.jpg Axe-Fx MHC 06.jpg Axe-Fx MHC 07.jpg

This prototype is a full-blown version with 8 rotary controllers and displays plus 4 push buttons for on/off controls. It also has a main LCD display, push buttons for selecting different sets of controls, push buttons for programming which parameter each of the rotary controls affects and FRAM memory to remember all the settings when the power if turned off.

The cost of all the electronic components was about $70 US (from eBay China/Hong Kong suppliers!)
If someone wants to build a simpler (non-programmable) unit with say 5 or 6 rotary controls and one LCD display the component cost could come down to under $30.
However, I haven’t included the cost of a 19” rack box to mount everything. The best I’ve found so far is $35 so this adds quite a bit to the overall cost.

I’m not a professional programmer and I spent a lot of time finding the best Arduino libraries for the various devices and make sure that they didn’t conflict with each other. Also, I spent quite a bit of time getting all the Midi information to and from the Axe-Fx without losing bytes due to buffer overflows etc.
To help anyone else on the forum that is thinking of doing the same thing I’m happy to share the Arduino sketch and wiring information.

I’m putting a video together to show how it works and I might need a second video to go through all the details of the wiring and programming.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind making one! I'm no programmer either but, I'm confident that I could do this as long as I have instructions and schematics to go on.

Looks awesome. I actually am a software developer, so I really should spend the time to sit down and build my own. I'd probably opt to build a foot controller first since I'm not really satisfied with the way the mfc works. I suppose I should just sell that and then I'll have no choice but to build one :)

Looks awesome. I actually am a software developer, so I really should spend the time to sit down and build my own. I'd probably opt to build a foot controller first since I'm not really satisfied with the way the mfc works. I suppose I should just sell that and then I'll have no choice but to build one :)

Hi Hotdogs,
Interested that you're not happy with the MFC. I'm not a professional programmer but like many people I have managed to get things working by hacking through the code until it works OK. So you could probably pull my program to pieces and make it a lot more efficient.

I found that if you find a way of viewing all the midi messages going back and forth you get a better understanding what is happening. I have a Midisport 2x2 interface and used MIDI-OX to look at all the bytes of the Midi signals. It made the programming a lot easy afterwards.

Also, the advantage of using an Arduino Mega rather than a Uno etc. is that you can set up one serial port for Midi and one for the Serial Monitor. You can print Midi bytes etc. to the Serial Monitor and it makes debugging a lot easier.

I wouldn't mind making one! I'm no programmer either but, I'm confident that I could do this as long as I have instructions and schematics to go on.

Hi Pettymusic,
If you've got some basic computer skills and can think logically then the Arduino programming is not too bad. I only started playing with them last year and feel like I'm reasonably proficient now.
I was thinking of putting all the building information on www.instructables.com that seems to be the website that most people use for sharing this sort of information.

Hi Pettymusic,
If you've got some basic computer skills and can think logically then the Arduino programming is not too bad. I only started playing with them last year and feel like I'm reasonably proficient now.
I was thinking of putting all the building information on www.instructables.com that seems to be the website that most people use for sharing this sort of information.

I work as an IT Solutions Analyst by day and hobby guitar builder by night. I never played with arduino but, hopefully my IT background and DIY attitude will be sufficient enough to get me through

Please let me know once posted on instructables and thanks for sharing!!

You know, I actually came in here half hoping that somebody had made a hand held MIDI controller. Or at least something on a guitar. That would be so awesome.

So....., what is the advantage of using this controller over the regular Axe FX interface or Axe Edit? It seems kinda weird to have a 19" unit to control another 19" unit. That aside, from a DIY POV its insanely awesome. Kudos for coming and building one. As a recovered solderjockey I'm tempted to build one just for the hell of it.

I really like the idea of Virtual Jeff controller, but its almost $500 for a midi controller whammy bar. I wish someone would make something like that with more functionality and programming options, and it shouldn't cost $500 :).

So....., what is the advantage of using this controller over the regular Axe FX interface or Axe Edit? It seems kinda weird to have a 19" unit to control another 19" unit.
It's similar to the advantage of having amp knobs on the AX8. Instant access to the stuff you want to tweak. No menu diving. Just strum/dial/strum/dial/strum/dial... It's a big improvement to the workflow. If you get your hands on one, you'll understand right away.

I dunno, I have no problems whatsoever doing that in Axe Edit. I guess some people like to work with knobs, others with software.

Personally, I find that all of the current MIDI controllers are either a large compromise on functionality or prohibitively expense, often both.

With products like the FCB1010, they're designed so that you have 100-200 virtual buttons, with 10 or so available at a time through banks. The main problem with the FCB1010 design is that it's intended to show an LED for only the last button pressed, so it becomes less than useful for ON/OFF functions. The UNO chip deals with much of this with the "Stompbox" mode, but now you have 5 buttons permanently dedicated to the same ON/OFF functions across all banks - which can be an issue.

Ideally, each button should have a screen display associated with it that tells you what it does now, and operating firmware should allow buttons to be freely associated with any function dependent on the context of what you're doing with it.

Which is why I have a bag of 16x2 LCD screens, I2C adaptors for them, I2C multiplexer chips, A/D converters and RGB LED's, an Arduino board, and a Raspberry Pi sitting on a workbench waiting for me to build something with them. My design idea was to have 12 buttons and two rotay encoders (knobs), each with an LCD screen and an RGB LED associated with them.

The Arduino board is just to run the RGB LED's, as signal timing on them requires precision that the Pi cannot provide while multi-tasking. The Pi would run it all, with button presses doing one or more of the following:
  1. Send a MIDI command to the AxeFX
  2. Change 1 or more LCD displays
  3. Change 1 or more LED lights
  4. Redefine the actions associated with 1 or more buttons
So, as an example: Assume that when you boot the unit the first thing to do is to select a preset. So you might have 10 presets set up on ten buttons (all indicated with the associated display), and the last two buttons for bank up and down. Then when you press on one of the buttons, it sends the MIDI command to load that preset on the AxeFX and then 10 of the buttons switch over to functions directly related to that patch. Maybe you have two drives, each with X/Y defined on them, so that could be 4 buttons, perhaps multiple delays or reverbs, touch tempo, maybe a button that engages a delay and then lowers the mix of the reverb a little. Perhaps 4 buttons for scene selection. Everything with a relevant LCD display. Also, the rotary encoders would change functions accordingly. The last two buttons might be for "Utility" and "Preset Selection".

Also, the buttons are just momentary switches, so the software could easily detect double clicks and long clicks. So each button could easily house three functions at any one time. Maybe long click on all of the buttons could be back to the boot state, "Preset Selection" (or maybe just the button on the bottom right).

I got stuck when looking for a housing. Originally, I wanted a sloped cabinet with a flat section at the top. The rotary encoders, and main LCD panel would go on the top, and the footswitches and associated LCD displays and LED's would go on the sloped section. It was turning out to be very difficult to fine an off-the-shelf housing big enough in that layout. In the end, I decided a week or so ago that I'd go with simple sloped console design, with the top being 11" x 17". That will hold 3 rows of 4 switches/displays, and have room at the top for a row of LCD displays and rotary encoders. Hammond makes them for about $50, which is not to bad.

In terms of cost, a single set of footswitch/rotoray encoder + LED + display should cost about $6. The Pi and the Arduino are each about $30, and the housing is $50. There are some other incidentals, like multiplexer and Analog/Digital converter chips, but those are pretty cheap. So all told $200 worth of hardware, maybe a touch more.

Far more difficult, I need to find the time and energy to get out the soldering iron and build a prototype.

@Rex - I agree, the 8 rotary controls on the AX-8 are great (wish they had them on the Axe-Fx II)

@ Muad'zin - Yeah, this unit might seem like overkill. If someone was selling one and it cost a few hundred dollars I wouldn't fork out the cash. I wanted to have a go at controlling the Axe-Fx with an Arduino board and get a better understanding of Midi processing so this seemed like an interesting project.

@pauliusmm - I haven't seen the Virtual Jeff unit before. Looks interesting but I guess they have to build in all the signal processing so it obviously adds to the cost. You've made me think about building a small guitar mounted controller with a whammy bar, rotary controls, push buttons etc. to control parameters in the Axe-Fx. I guess it would do the same as a foot controller and pedal but you've got it at your fingertips. Food for thought !

On a live gig???

Why change your settings during a live gig?

The way I see it if you have to turn knobs during a gig you didn't iron out your presets right during rehearsals. If there needs to be more or less mids/highs/lows during the gig I leave that job to the soundengineer. Last thing I want to do during a show is make things harder for him by fiddling with my gear.

I dunno, I have no problems whatsoever doing that in Axe Edit. I guess some people like to work with knobs, others with software.
You're right. It's possible to edit every parameter from the Fractal front panel, so you don't actually need anything else. But having a row of knobs and displays speeds things up. It makes things a lot less tedious when you're dialing in an amp or an effect, and that makes it more conducive to the creative process as you see how the parameters affect each other in your pursuit of the tone in your head.

It's like oil painting. Imagine opening a tube of paint, squeezing a little of it onto a brush, brushing the paint onto the canvas, then closing the tube, opening a tube of a different color, squeezing it onto your brush, applying that color to the canvas, and so on. Now compare that to having an entire palette of colors in one hand, and simply dabbing your brush and painting in one motion. Every painter who has a palette at his disposal will use that method.

Personally, I find that all of the current MIDI controllers are either a large compromise on functionality or prohibitively expense, often both... ... ... ... ... ....

Hi Stickman,

Looks like you've got a good idea of what you want. As you say, finding a suitable enclosure at a good price isn't easy. I built a 10 switch / 10 LCD footswitch and ended up building an enclosure from thin plywood.
I've worked predominantly with Arduinos and I'm interested to know the advantage that a Pi would give you to control everything.
As you say, you've got a bit of soldering to do but the programming is going to take some time as well. I'm lucky - I'm retired !

Why change your settings during a live gig?

The way I see it if you have to turn knobs during a gig you didn't iron out your presets right during rehearsals. If there needs to be more or less mids/highs/lows during the gig I leave that job to the soundengineer. Last thing I want to do during a show is make things harder for him by fiddling with my gear.

So you've never turned around & adjusted a real amp during a gig??? Its occasionally needed. You are never going to get a 1 size fits all rig that is perfect for every room & situation.

Back
Top Bottom