Axe-Fx lll - Fret buzz really noticeable now!

Check the Amp block's Dynamics Page > Output Compression. Try lowering it.

Also, try bypassing the Compressor Block and Drive Block before the Amp Block.

Well all I can say further is I have had every AXE and many of the amps modeled as well as effects etc. I don't notice more "noise" or shrillness to the same instruments plugged into the different devices.

I guess I would like to hear the sample of "differences." The proof is in the pudding' at this point....

Here's a comparison of the II and III using the same preset (Deluxe Verb model through the same IR) with a Les Paul. The first part of the sample is the Axe-FX II, the 2nd part is the Axe-FX III:

I hear a perceptible difference in the frequency response of both.

That said, boosting highs can accentuate fret buzz. Below is an example. The first clip in the sample is without any boost to the high end, and the 2nd clip with.

By derivation, it stands to reason that if fret buzz can be accentuated with added highs, and some models in the Axe-FX III accentuate the highs more so than the Axe-FX II, then the Axe-FX III could potentially make fret buzz more pronounced compared to the II. That's not a knock against the III. It's easy enough to use a high shelf or cut some of the high end for a given model.

That said, I don't know what the OP was using before the III.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison of the II and III using the same preset (Deluxe Verb model through the same IR) with a Les Paul. The first part of the sample is the Axe-FX II, the 2nd part is the Axe-FX III:

I hear a perceptible difference in the frequency response of both.

That said, boosting highs can accentuate fret buzz. Below is an example. The first clip in the sample is without any boost to the high end, and the 2nd clip with.

By derivation, it stands to reason that if fret buzz can be accentuated with added highs, and some models in the Axe-FX III accentuate the highs more so than the Axe-FX II, then the Axe-FX III could potentially make fret buzz more pronounced compared to the II. That's not a knock against the III. It's easy enough to use a high shelf or cut some of the high end for a given model.

That said, I don't know what the OP was using before the III.
Its hard to compare "fret" noise with clean and crunch sounds. Again you'll hear any fret buzz that exists. You can mask it with fuzz or eq it but its probably still there. When I studied with Paul Gilbert he used an MXR D Plus almost all of the time but when he didn't you could hear it...I suspect same with the II, III, AX8 etc.

You can mask it with fuzz or eq it but its probably still there.

Of course it's still there. No one's arguing otherwise. Yes, fret buzz can be alleviated with EQ, just as it can be accentuated with it, hence my point.

It's an elementary syllogism: If fret buzz can be accentuated with a high end boost via EQ, which it can, and if some of the amp models in the Axe-FX III have more high end than the II, which they do, then it logically follows that some of the amp models in the Axe-FX III could potentially contribute to accentuating fret buzz.

Am I suggesting I know for a fact that's the case here? No.

Am I suggesting it's a very real possibility? Yes.

Again, I'd like to hear a sample, but the OP seems to be MIA.

Last edited:
Of course it's still there. No one's arguing otherwise. Yes, fret buzz can be alleviated with EQ, just as it can be accentuated with it, hence my point.

It's an elementary syllogism: If fret buzz can be accentuated with a high end boost via EQ, which it can, and if some of the amp models in the Axe-FX III have more high end than the II, which they do, then it logically follows that some of the amp models in the Axe-FX III could potentially contribute to accentuating fret buzz.

Am I suggesting I know for a fact that's the case here? No.

Am I suggesting it's a very real possibility? Yes.

Again, I'd like to hear a sample, but the OP seems to be MIA.
Well I guess we'll just disagree on this one...
So I'm leaving this conversation with...I've never bought an amp/device/whatever based on how much or little it helped my guitar action/noise so maybe I'm missing something but I can't recall anyone crossing my path that has bought something and asked will it accentuate or "hide" my fret noise. To me this is kinda a root cause thing. It exists irrespective of the device.
Maybe the AXE should start coming with warning labels!

Well I guess we'll just disagree on this one...
So I'm leaving this conversation with...I've never bought an amp/device/whatever based on how much or little it helped my guitar action/noise so maybe I'm missing something but I can't recall anyone crossing my path that has bought something and asked will it accentuate or "hide" my fret noise.

No idea what facilitated pointing that out. No one buys a modeler to alleviate fret buzz, nor did anyone suggest that they do.

To me this is kinda a root cause thing. It exists irrespective of the device.

It goes without saying that fret buzz exists independently of the Axe FX or any other modeler. No one suggested otherwise, nor is that the point. Re-read the first post in this thread. The OP observed that fret buzz was more pronounced when using the unit, and simply wanted to know if anyone had suggestions with respect to alleviating it short of tweaking the action on their guitar. If you don't understand the intent of the OP's original post or the point I've been making by now, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:
No idea what facilitated pointing that out. No one buys a modeler to alleviate fret buzz, nor did anyone suggest that they do.

It goes without saying that fret buzz exists independently of the Axe FX or any other modeler. No one suggested otherwise, nor is that the point. Re-read the first post in this thread. The OP observed that fret buzz was more pronounced when using the unit, and simply wanted to know if anyone had suggestions with respect to alleviating it short of tweaking the action on their guitar. If you don't understand the intent of the OP's original post or the point I've been making by now, I don't know what to tell you.
AS well as a device can't increase it....only the guitar and person can.

AS well as a device can't increase it....only the guitar and person can.

Some devices are called equalizers, and equalizers can be made to boost frequencies that accentuate fret buzz, thus in short, yes, a device can accentuate fret buzz. The proof is in the 2nd sample I posted. If you need more proof, feel free to post an example of fret buzz and I'll be glad to use EQ to boost the associated frequencies that accentuate it.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, thanks for all the input on what I was noticing. I have taken the time to more carefully A/B The AxeFXlll with one of my BadCats (Classic Deluxe) Upon closer examination, here is what I am seeing/hearing:
  • My presence & treble settings on the Fractal unit were set higher than I would normally have. When I balanced them with my normal amp settings, it was way closer in overall tone and the amount of fret buzz.
  • I think I had initially had my amp cab on the ground, and my Fractal cab closer to ear height (duh) which accentuated the fret buzz a bit. I did this last test with the same cab & same height.
  • Listening with headphones was very revealing... my guitar setup deficiencies had no where to hide!
  • I have adjusted my guitar setup to get rid of the buzz unless I REALLY dig into it.
So, it seems like a handful of you guys were right in what was contributing to this issue. Again, thanks for the input and for keeping it civil!

Douganator

Back
Top Bottom