Axe FX in Lincoln Brewster's Future: Maybe sooner than later

He played here on Thursday. I was hoping to tell him about it but didn't have the opportunity. About time.

It was only a matter of time really. I can say I've found no one who can make the pod sound as good as he does. I'm definitely looking forward to what he can pull out of this animal.

I think the axe-fx will suite him well. That being said, if his patches are anything like the ones he has for the X3. They will sound quite ordinary. His playing is what really shapes his tone.

The thing is....his fly dates. The Axe-FX will complicate that a bit because he will need a small rack and a foot controller. That was the one objection that I expected him to say, if we had, had a chance to chat. Most likely the tone will make him go to the extra effort.

Here was there set up Thursday:

brewster_crossroads3.jpg

brewster_crossroads2.jpg

brewster_crossroads1.jpg

As you can see they brought bare bones for the gig. His whole rig fits in one case.

Compare that to when he last came to town loaded for bear:

LB1.jpg

At any rate, I look forward to hearing what he does.

Very cool. Although he seems like he's a purely AC30 guy...the Axe may be overkill.

Not to be a downer, but I didn't find him THAT fantastic a guitarist. Very good, way above average for certain, but he doesn't do anything that hasn't really been done before.

Feel free to prove my impression wrong! Just what I've heard of the 4 or 5 things I've heard him play...

Ron

He uses he AC30 as a backline monitor only. Either that or a Marshall (a plexi I think) and splits the X3 into the amp and then straight to FOH. It seems he uses what is available as rental in the area for the backline. The POD patches he made available on his web site were Marshall based.

Every time I have seen him live his tone has been very consistent and I have always thought it weird that he could alternate between the Marshall/AC30 backline sounds so easily.

Bout time, but I must say, this guy was like the last shred of credibility the x3 had for live use, it seems every time the question was asked about the capabilities of this unit, his name was brought up. Gotta admit, he made it sound good, but to me instead of justifying the capabilities of an x3 unit, it just highlighted the fact that, at the end of the day, the most important ingredient in tone searching is personal ability and phrasing, and talented musicians are gonna sound good through anything from a wall of marshalls to lets face it, a pod. However, all that aside, im glad fractal may have managed to steal one of the last few trophy players from line 6

electronpirate said:
Very cool. Although he seems like he's a purely AC30 guy...the Axe may be overkill.

Not to be a downer, but I didn't find him THAT fantastic a guitarist. Very good, way above average for certain, but he doesn't do anything that hasn't really been done before.

Feel free to prove my impression wrong! Just what I've heard of the 4 or 5 things I've heard him play...

Ron

Every show is different. He uses that just for amp/guitar interaction set at a low volume. He uses whatever the place has. I have seen him use an ac30, orange tiny terror, and a fender twin. His main sound is from the X3. He uses the plexi variac model for just about everything.

megalowmatt said:
He uses he AC30 as a backline monitor only. Either that or a Marshall (a plexi I think) and splits the X3 into the amp and then straight to FOH. It seems he uses what is available as rental in the area for the backline. The POD patches he made available on his web site were Marshall based.

Every time I have seen him live his tone has been very consistent and I have always thought it weird that he could alternate between the Marshall/AC30 backline sounds so easily.

It is in the rider that they supply some kind of quality tube amp. The venue handles it.

GuitarDojo said:
I guess LB needs the floor version of the Axe-Fx :D

*ducks*

LOL....

I thought about taking my Axe FX with me again to the Musicians Summit as his church this month. Any one else going?

Lincoln is a very fine player - he has a strong sense of time & feel, and also has an excellent sense of what to play & what not to play - what's not to like? Sometimes I think we get numbed hearing 'giants' like Guthrie Govan etc. on endless youTube videos, but there is always room for solid, tasteful players, and I agree he would sound great on an AxeFX ;)

Radley said:
Lincoln is a very fine player - he has a strong sense of time & feel, and also has an excellent sense of what to play & what not to play - what's not to like? Sometimes I think we get numbed hearing 'giants' like Guthrie Govan etc. on endless youTube videos, but there is always room for solid, tasteful players, and I agree he would sound great on an AxeFX ;)
Interesting comments Radley. . . . I picked up one of Lincoln's older CD's a few years ago and it never really "stuck". I quickly set it aside. I remember there being a lot of fast lines on it. On a whim I recently picked up his new album. Frankly, I'm quite taken by it. Radley has nicely summarized above, why I find this album so appealing.

Terry.

Radley said:

I completely agree. For that very same reason, I appreciate guys like Richie Sambora. That sense of playing exactly what a song needs at any given time. Steve Lukather is obviously a master of this aswell.

Btw, I think it's pretty strange that Line6 doesn't exploit this guy... He is one of the few people that lives up to the hype they create about their products, yet they keep getting pretty bland players (tonewise, at least) demonstrating their products.

I saw LB years ago on tour with Steve Perry, and as I recall he was 19. I somehow got upfront floor seats the night before the show (they "popped open" as I was standing at ticket counter trying to decide what column in the nosebleed section to sit behind-my friends hated me for that). He was very impressive even then, in terms of taste and touch. Not a shredder at all (and I mean that in a good way) but he did have to do those Neal Schon speedburst things (which he pulled off very well) on the Journey stuff.

As noted above, his main tone is a variac plexi model, with the gain set surprisingly low, and he just varies that theme and even throws a few pedals on it. Part of his love for the X3 is that he likes the fact that his younger fans can afford the same rig he uses, for a couple of hundred bucks on ebay. The axe is of course boutique territory. I'm sure he'll buy one, he actually has some very nice stuff at home, he just uses the pod live. We'll see if he starts using it live. :)

jojo said:
...I'm sure he'll buy one, he actually has some very nice stuff at home, he just uses the pod live. We'll see if he starts using it live. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBfnd3V ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9Og7K5 ... annel_page

From those vids it looks like he uses POD Farm exclusively for recording and doesn't mic his Bassman or Plexi anymore like he used to do years ago. The Axe-Fx is a perfect fit for him. Many people don't realize that he's as good a recording engineer as he is a guitarist. That's why he can make the Line6 stuff sound so good live and recording wise. I can't see him passing up on an Axe-Fx. It's only a little bigger than the X3 but the sound is WAY bigger.

BlueLotus said:
jojo said:
...I'm sure he'll buy one, he actually has some very nice stuff at home, he just uses the pod live. We'll see if he starts using it live. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBfnd3V ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9Og7K5 ... annel_page

From those vids it looks like he uses POD Farm exclusively for recording and doesn't mic his Bassman or Plexi anymore like he used to do years ago. The Axe-Fx is a perfect fit for him. Many people don't realize that he's as good a recording engineer as he is a guitarist. That's why he can make the Line6 stuff sound so good live and recording wise. I can't see him passing up on an Axe-Fx. It's only a little bigger than the X3 but the sound is WAY bigger.

I think most of it wound up being the X3. I had a friend there for one of the recording sessions. They did have real amps mic'd. I believe most of it wound up being the X3 on "Today is the Day"

Back
Top Bottom