Axe-fx III?

Hi,
new here ... I will buy an Axe-fx II in February, but is there any signs that they maybe will release an Axe-Fx III in the near future?

/Niclas

The III will start being planned when the current hardware on the II becomes too limited for Cliff to continue his improvements.

As of right now that doesn't seem to be happening. So it could be 2-3 years easy.

Ok, than I´ll will buy one!
I'm guessing that the issue has been discussed already, but I searched the forum but could not find anything about it. Sorry if I annoyed you Speculum Speculorum! :eek:

Nah, man. I was just giving you some heck. It seems like every 2-3 months an article like this surfaces. It's understandable that people are concerned about it, actually. Technology moves so fast these days it can be disconcerting to purchase a product - you turn around and the next version is already out! But Cliff is a pretty straight shooter and has said numerous times he's not close to tapping out the CPU capabilities of the Axe-fx II, so you should be safe. ;)

The II is still far from its technical limitations and there are no new dsp chips that would provide a necessary improvement. Like think we're all safe. The frequency of updates from cliff at this point seem to indicate where the work is happening at this moment in time as well

Even if a axeIII is in the works trust me if you buy the Axe II you won't need to worry about a III. The only improvement I could possible see is it would have a jager dispenser built into it.

This. After being lucky enough to have played real versions of maybe a quarter of the amps/fx currently in the afxii, I can say it'll never be a bad purchase. Not now, not in a decade or more when people are speculating the afx5

This. After being lucky enough to have played real versions of maybe a quarter of the amps/fx currently in the afxii, I can say it'll never be a bad purchase. Not now, not in a decade or more when people are speculating the afx5

Agreed... their is so much in the Axe II you could be forever playing it and have a difficult time touching everything in this box. Cliff has stated that their is always room for improvement for the Axe, Hi rez cabs being the next I hope. To the OP just buy it you won't be sorry.

The III will start being planned when the current hardware on the II becomes too limited for Cliff to continue his improvements.

As of right now that doesn't seem to be happening. So it could be 2-3 years easy.

It could be even Cliff's 2 weeks... ;)

I see it this way:

Fractal is at a point where the technology (code) is so good, that there is very little to be gained by an Axe FX III. Sure we have power users who want every conceivable option available, but that just doesn't really play for most of us. I would say most people like having the option for all those other amps, however I'd guess most people don't use (regularly) more than 10...probably less.

Now what I COULD see is another outboard unit that accommodated higher cab technology (although I'm guessing this is part of the equation on our latest FW update...) A simple 1U that would host much higher CAB resolution, and possibly share CPU load to be able to do fancier/funkier things with the main Axe II (you want to run 5 amps at once? We can do that). Maybe even a headphone amp in there, operate as a power conditioner, etc.

There would be an Axe III.

But I'm just spitballing.

R

Not to pee on anyone's parade, but don't forget that there could be an Axe Fx II Mark III happening sometime (with the FASlink connection). When I bought my MFC, I was surprised to see the "Mark II" designation, but happy to see the locking Ethercon port.

But as far as the "heart" of the Axe Fx goes, it seems a significant update (i.e. the Axe Fx III) isn't coming anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom