Axe-Fx III vs Helix

The Helix is ok; but 10 tons of pre-amp blocks and post amp blocks in Helix-land is an absolute real thing. So much eq'ing and compression to try and tame that disembodied distortion and weird mid range and low end. Ugh. The Fractal amp block is, in general; beyond reproach. I have some Fractal twitches/triggers for sure; but tone is NOT one of them. Leon 5 minute tone vids that are actually, you know; 5 minutes...versus tons of Helix "how to vids" for basic tones that should not take 37 minutes to dial in. The ease of use argument that always gets touted in Helix's favor pretty much flies out the window as a direct result of all this surgical eq bs. YMMV and all that; but it has rang true for me from early HX days to now.
1603919369924.jpeg

What is it with the need to assume others are justifying a purchase or engaging in confirmation bias? Anyone who can afford the III can pretty much afford any modeler. If I found a better product, I'd be using it.

Reactions: jon
What is it with the need to assume others are justifying a purchase or engaging in confirmation bias? Anyone who can afford the III can pretty much afford any modeler. If I found a better product, I'd be using it.
i find it's usually to justify THEIR purchase of the less expensive gear. somewhat classic projection.

You dont think others are engaging in confirmation bias? Everyone justifies their purchases. To think otherwise is asinine. "Because I could" is a justification.

You dont think others are engaging in confirmation bias? Everyone justifies their purchases. To think otherwise is asinine. "Because I could" is a justification.
everyone might justify their purchase. but saying "on the axe i don't need to do this where on the helix i do" is not a purchase justification, just a fact.

what's happening is anything positive said about the Axe is being categorized as "justifying your purchase" which isn't true. it's gaslighting.

some use that phrase very seriously though, so just a heads up.
The last thing I’d be worried about is what gear a stranger thinks I should or should not be using for whatever reason.

Though I can assure you I’m not going to be participating on a manufactures forum to knock people for their personal gear choices in any type of serious manner.

These VS threads never seem to end well.

Reactions: JTI
The last thing I’d be worried about is what gear a stranger thinks I should or should not be using for whatever reason.

Though I can assure you I’m not going to be participating on a manufactures forum to knock people for their personal gear choices in any type of serious manner.

These VS threads never seem to end well.
agreed, i usually don't participate. but when a lot of people are saying something "negative" about gear on its own forum and no one replies in support, the casual reader or non-owner tends to think it's true.

the internet is weird and i just don't like it.

everyone might justify their purchase. but saying "on the axe i don't need to do this where on the helix i do" is not a purchase justification, just a fact.

what's happening is anything positive said about the Axe is being categorized as "justifying your purchase" which isn't true. it's gaslighting.

How is it not true? I genuinely dont follow. The workflow, layout and/or sound or whatever it is, is why the person bought the gear. Thus their justification. How is that gaslighting?

Being told you didnt see a dog today when you actually did see a dog is gaslighting.

In all fairness I also had to use EQs, multiple cabs, amps,, etc to make things how I wanted on the ultra

But in all fairness I still have the ultra and it smokes the helix even now. The helix has a kinda flat boxiness I just couldn't seem to make sound natural. The ultra gives me a far better starting point to tweak. With the iii, just slap on an amp and cab block and call it a day

How is it not true? I genuinely dont follow. The workflow, layout and/or sound or whatever it is, is why the person bought the gear. Thus their justification. How is that gaslighting?

Being told you didnt see a dog today when you actually did see a dog is gaslighting.
I can tell you how I make a preset compared to how someone makes a helix preset. That’s not justifying my purchase, that’s saying how I make a preset.

if I say “here’s how I make a preset” and they tell me “oh you’re just justifying your purchase”, that statement is out of place, insinuating that the reason I mentioned it is to justify my purchase, when it’s not; it’s just saying how I make a preset.

I can tell you how I make a preset compared to how someone makes a helix preset. That’s not justifying my purchase, that’s saying how I make a preset.

if I say “here’s how I make a preset” and they tell me “oh you’re just justifying your purchase”, that statement is out of place, insinuating that the reason I mentioned it is to justify my purchase, when it’s not; it’s just saying how I make a preset.

Now I follow you. Appreciate the clarification.

Back
Top Bottom