Axe Fx III vs Fm9

JPS225

Inspired
I'm torn between the 2. I have an Fm9, and it's awesome, but I've always wanted a rack set up. I could get away with the Fc6 to control it. Guess I'm a child of the 80's, loving the old rack setups. Other than giving up an all in one footswitch, is there anything I'm giving up by moving to the FXIII?

IMG_20220815_203334.jpg
Why not both?

The 3 has about double the CPU. If you keep it simple the FM9 will do the job. Theres more thinking involved on the 9 if things get complex.

FM9 seems great. I am waiting for my turn on the list to come up. I am very happy with the AF3, but do still need a backup. The FM3 was not enough for me by a long shot.

I'm torn between the 2. I have an Fm9, and it's awesome, but I've always wanted a rack set up. I could get away with the Fc6 to control it. Guess I'm a child of the 80's, loving the old rack setups. Other than giving up an all in one footswitch, is there anything I'm giving up by moving to the FXIII?
Dude, get both. I have the FM3, FM9(turbo and non-turbo) and an Axe Fx III. Keeping the FM9 for home and fast rehearsal and the Axe Fx III for live. BUT, the FM9 can easily be my live if I decide to just want to bring something different. Depends on needs. FM3 is awesome, just have FM9 and meh....no thanks. Not bad in any regard, I just want to have similar patches and the combo I stated, does the best for me. ..................THIS BEING SAID......FM9 would be rad with global blocks added. Main gripe.

Why not both?
Love the dog … how does your foot reach the fc6 on the rack? Or is it a head butt controller?
It was on the floor, but lately I've been working on FM9-only presets, so I have not been using it to do stuff in the FX3 that is not directly accessible via MIDI, and it got stacked out of the way for now. Usually it lives next to the pedals on the left side....

Maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t it seem like this OP’s “FM9 vs FX3” question has been asked and answered about a zillion times?

Try using the “search” function and then just figure it out for yourself…

If you have the money and don't care much about portability, just buy the AF3.

For the record, I have both but I am keeping the FM9 Turbo.

Having spent 2 years with the AF3 MK2, I don't need any of the extra features and power, on the contrary, I need the portability and the switches, in fact if the FM9 was available two years ago I would have opted for that.

Last edited:
Money and portability.

To me the FM9 is the sweet spot product for Fractal atm because it gives you probably 90% of what the Axe-Fx 3 can do and also 90% of what the FC-12 can do in one box that costs less than that combination.

Of course you do gain something with the rack setup too. It might fit a studio setup better when you don't have to read the screen on the floor, you get the extra features and CPU and so on. Live you can also avoid putting your main unit anywhere near beer-bearing patrons and if your system involves a poweramp a rack setup can make it one unit.

IMO since you already have the FM9 I'd just stick with that unless you really want a rack system.

I really do miss the FullRes capability that FX3 has, and doubt we will see that on the FM9. For me, if you use IEM live or FX3 in studio, it does make a difference in the depth of sound experience. FM9 may be slightly more portable but takes up more real estate on small stages. I used an FC12, and at that footpedal size the FM9 became a better option for me.

Back
Top Bottom