Axe-Fx III Unboxing Video: Lesson 1 - READ THE MANUAL!

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
How stupid was I to think that I'll shoot an unboxing video of the Axe-Fx III even though it's the most complex and versatile piece of audio gear ever created. I mean I've been using an Axe-Fx since the Standard days and have used the II every day for many years so this should be easy right? Boy did I realize quickly that it's a whole different piece of gear and here's the video that shows what happened:

I'll give you guys my short summary:
  1. IT FEELS FASTER
  2. THE IR SELECTION IS INCREDIBLE
  3. IT'S A COMPLETELY NEW UI
The most common comment I've heard so far has been that the Axe-Fx III is brighter. I would argue that it's not actually brighter but the feel is faster and therefore feels brighter while the listener will not think it's any brighter. To me it almost feels like it's more instant but I will create a very accurate A/B test between the II and III to give everyone a better idea of the difference. With the same settings I would assume the III is much more tighter and I could use more gain than I'm used to.

The IR selection is ridiculous. When Cliff and Matt approached me about the possibility of adding factory IR's into the Axe-Fx III I started thinking about this whole community and how my whole career in the music industry started here. I was just a kid posting clips and IR's (and yes the childish stuff as well) and Matt gave me a shot and now I'm working with all my guitar heroes from Periphery to Avenged Sevenfold to Guns N' Roses and many many more. So I felt it was my time to give back. The Axe-Fx III has IR's for pretty much all of the Cab Packs I've created for Fractal Audio. They're not in there just as samples so people would buy more Cab Packs but they are some of the best single mic IR's I've ever created and they're all free for everyone to use with their Axe-Fx III taking none of your user cab slots. Today I felt pride in being such a big part of this unit that's without a doubt the best modeler and fx processor on the market. My IR's are always mix-ready and neutral, raw and clean captures by design so they will give you amazing pro results super quickly as I will demonstrate in future videos.

Now the UI though. I'll be the first to admit that I'm super lazy with manuals as I'm sure many of us are. I learned the Standard/Ultra and II without a manual. That's IMO the best way to learn because once you figure something out you'll remember it forever rather than relying on a manual that you have read again and again. This video sadly spends a lot of time on me trying to find very basic functions because the UI and UX is very different to the II. Don't take this as a bad thing. For a unit to be able to do the things that the III does this is to be expected. This only sparked some ideas for me so LISTEN UP:

I'll start posting videos on YouTube explaining all the functions of the Axe-Fx III, taking requests, posting comparisons, clips and definitely taking on challenges like 1 minute presets since this unit really is capable of giving you amazing pro level sounds in matter of 1 or 2 minutes of tweaking.

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR AXE-FX III CONTENT

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100%, the IR library is amazing.
(I scrolled through a bunch of the 'ML' ones last night and some were just perfect without touching a thing.)

I truly wonder if I will ever need to load a User IR.
We have so much already in there, I can't imagine anyone not being able to find something that works great for them.

Clif has always stated how important speaker IRs are to the sound. It is a testament to the quality of your work to have them included in the best guitar processor in the market. Congrats!

Maybe there are too many cabs...;) I spent hours yesterday auditioning cabs and at the end felt overwhelmed. I am kidding or course, you can never have too much cool stuff, but for me being new to the platform it is so much to digest. Either way I subscribed to your channel, it is pretty slim picking on tutorials and info so far. Looking forward to what you are going to post!

The Axe-Fx III has IR's for pretty much all of the Cab Packs I've created for Fractal Audio. They're not in there just as samples so people would buy more Cab Packs but they are some of the best single mic IR's I've ever created and they're all free for everyone to use with their Axe-Fx III taking none of your user cab slots.
You Da Man! :)
Being that the band is on hiatus, I previously had no motivation to GAS for an AxeFX-III yet. Things are starting to change.

Congrats on joining the club @ML SOUND LAB. Enjoy the III, but you're also probably starting to figure out that the cab IR library is so comprehensive, flexible and just plain sounds so good that it may seriously make a dent in your cab pack sales. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist being the one to break the news to ya!!

Ha! Don't worry about it. I'm doing good with the sales. :D Besides... I have something game changing on the way. I've always stayed true to what I set out to do. I will never release the same product in a new package. The IR's I shot years ago are still some of the best IR's of those cabinets ever created. That's no ego talk, that's just how it is. :) What I have coming next will drop jaws.

Oh and sorry about the failed noob video. I thought it's a very honest approach to what actually happens when you get an Axe-Fx III. It takes time getting used to but today I'm already much faster because the logic is familiar now.

Ha! Don't worry about it. I'm doing good with the sales. :D Besides... I have something game changing on the way. I've always stayed true to what I set out to do. I will never release the same product in a new package. The IR's I shot years ago are still some of the best IR's of those cabinets ever created. That's no ego talk, that's just how it is. :) What I have coming next will drop jaws.

Oh and sorry about the failed noob video. I thought it's a very honest approach to what actually happens when you get an Axe-Fx III. It takes time getting used to but today I'm already much faster because the logic is familiar now.

What the world needs is more room IRs.

I did post a thread on 'Reading the Manual'. I agree. The concept, while not completely different, it is different in the way they've designed the flow...that needs to be learned and the finest way to do that is to READ THE MANUAL.

Out of the box, the III sounds much better to me with the implementation of the IR's. There is still the 'dark' on certain presets and taming low end is in the same realm as the II, but it's been awhile that I've been hooked on a PRESET. (I'm a Marshall guy, so...turn to the Brit Silver...you're welcome.)

I started laughing uncontrollably around the 7 minute mark. I wish I had been high and had some Doritos while I watched this. I didn't have time to finish it. But I think someone should put this to some Pink Floyd...."the lunatic is in the grass"...comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom