Axe Fx III Maiden Voyage

Fro

Experienced
I had my first show with the Axe Fx III last night. Bottom line: everything worked as expected, it sounded great, and I’m super happy.

I’m a longtime Axe Fx user. I started with the Standard, then moved to the II, and now the III. I also have an AX8 for a backup. I originally bought the Standard just to be a multi-effects device and ran it in a 4 cable setup. I never thought that one day I would sell all of my amps (except my Jubilee, for sentimental reasons) and run direct, but I’ve been doing that now for the past 5+ years.

I have always been a front panel user, but I am also familiar with the various versions of Axe edit. I’ve had the III for about three weeks now, and I probably spent a good solid 2 weeks programming and transferring all of my patches from the II to the III. I would keep my II on as a reference with Axe Edit open and just go through block by block reprogramming everything. I did several passes through all of the patches double checking every setting. Sometimes I was watching TV at the same time, so I was bound to miss a few things, hence the several passes. I made a backup after every programming session, and I have 21 backup files. The one thing I really missed from the II is the ability to copy an effect block from one preset to another via the front panel. I tried to be methodical with the way I set up my presets, but there were a few times where I noticed that I missed a few settings in a block that was in multiple presets, and it was time consuming changing each preset one by one. Quickly copying the block from one preset would have saved time.

I’m using the same MFC-101 I used with my II. I don’t use Scenes or Channels, though I may explore that at some point. The first 2 rows of the MFC are presets, and the rest are IA switches. I was able to set it up identically to the way it was set up for my II. Switching between presets seems smoother than on the II, so no complaints there.

All of the work on programming paid off as everything worked perfectly at the show. The improved sound quality and feel was noticeable, even more so at gig volume. I would echo the statements that a lot of others have already said, tighter and fuller low end, clearer highs, and more dynamic. Rolling back the volume control on the guitar is where I hear a lot more clarity. I could hear the improvement in all the amp models I use, but the Fender amps really stood out to me as benefitting from the new modeling.

For now I just imported in the 3rd party IRs I had been using with the II, so I haven’t been able to dive into the new cab block yet. I wanted to start with an identical setup to my II, and then branch out from there. Now that the first gig is out of the way, I can dive in and have some fun.

I’m in a three piece cover band. We play the typical Classic Rock, some Pop Rock, a few new things, some old and new Country. We play clubs, picnics, weddings, etc. We play an average of 40 shows a year, and we run our own sound and lights from stage. We use a Behringer X32 Rack Mixer and we use powered wedges. I have an Atomic CLR behind me as backline, and one in front that I use for guitar as well as my vocal monitor. I’m running output 1 to the mixer, and outputs 3 and 4 to the CLRs so that I have independent volume control for each without having to reach behind them.

I tried to record last nights show, but ran into issues. I have a Cymatic Audio u-Track card in the X32 which is normally super simple to use for recording multi-tracks of the shows, but I hadn’t used it in a while. Apparently between updating firmware on the X32, and the iOS on the iPad, I couldn’t enable recording. That’s all fixed now and ready for the next show, so I’ll get some sound clips next time. I’ll also post a few patches when I get the time. I know a few people have asked for them.

So, overall I’m very happy with the III, even just using it to do the exact same thing I was doing with the II. I like the improved sound and feel, the extra routing options, the input in the front and back (and the fact that the back input disengages when you plug a cable into the front), the new tuner, the ability to mix several IRs in the cab block, all of the included IRs, the larger color screen and new UI. There are a whole list of new features that I haven’t even dug into yet, so there is so much fun yet to be had.

I snapped a couple quick pictures of my setup. Not the greatest of lighting, but you get the idea.

Great job FAS on your new flagship product. It makes playing enjoyable and worry free.

Rack1.JPG

Rack2.JPG

PedalBoard2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Fro, great report and feedback!

Quick question, you noted that you are running outputs 3 & 4 to the CLR's. Are you boosting the outputs for 3 & 4 somewhere in the signal chain as I believe they are lower outputs than 1 & 2?

Thanks,
D

Hi Fro, great report and feedback!

Quick question, you noted that you are running outputs 3 & 4 to the CLR's. Are you boosting the outputs for 3 & 4 somewhere in the signal chain as I believe they are lower outputs than 1 & 2?

Thanks,
D
I cannot answer for him, but the fact is that OUt 3/4 has its own dedicated volume knob so that boost elsewhere may not be needed. ...by the way @Fro congrats on the good gig, and have a brewski and brat for me next time you play the Brat Stop in Kenosha.

Reactions: Fro

Great question. I have the output blocks for 3 and 4 in every patch, and I have the Main Out level in those blocks set to 5db instead of 0db. That was just enough boost so that if the output knob was turn up all the way on the Axe Fx III, it was just below clipping on the input of the CLR with the input trim turn all the way up on the CLR. During the actual gig, I think I had the output knob on the Axe Fx III closer to noon, so I had plenty of headroom left.

We were asking Cliff a bunch of questions about those outputs in another thread. He made the suggestion of turning up the output in the block itself to the needed level, and it can go all the way up to 20db. It's not really what the outputs were designed for, but it works just fine.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/output-options.136848/#post-1621865

Congratulations on a successful maiden voyage. I have a weekend open next week before a gig the following Friday, so I will be mimicking your II to III patch conversion then. I hope that to be a fallback only, as my intention is to build a new setup with scenes and channels doing the heavy lifting.

Always inspiring to hear good reports. Thanks for sharing all the details!

Reactions: Fro
Great question. I have the output blocks for 3 and 4 in every patch, and I have the Main Out level in those blocks set to 5db instead of 0db. That was just enough boost so that if the output knob was turn up all the way on the Axe Fx III, it was just below clipping on the input of the CLR with the input trim turn all the way up on the CLR. During the actual gig, I think I had the output knob on the Axe Fx III closer to noon, so I had plenty of headroom left.

We were asking Cliff a bunch of questions about those outputs in another thread. He made the suggestion of turning up the output in the block itself to the needed level, and it can go all the way up to 20db. It's not really what the outputs were designed for, but it works just fine.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/output-options.136848/#post-1621865
Excellent, thank you!

D

Awesome! I'm still waiting for the FC to come out so I can start gigging with it. I sold my XL/MFC combo, so I'm playing with the AX8 until then. Can't wait to have my own Maiden Voyage. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom