Output options..........

Tom Morris

Power User
I have been playing around with how I will go to FOH and my FRFR stage gear. Just seems like no matter what I do on outputs 3-4 they don't seem to have much gain. I have yet hooked up my amp I'm just running into a mixer and headphones. However outputs 1-2 sound and act as they should but no matter what I try with 3-4 they don't seem to have much gain and setting boost/pad in I/O doesn't seem to do anything. Ive tried adding an output block for 3 and or 4 as well as copy input 1 ON in I/O. What am I missing? Or are 3-4 just low output because they are designed to output to a guitar amp or power amp?

Do you have Outputs 1/2 set to the +4dbu in the IO menu? How are Outputs 1&2 vs 3&4 physically cabled to your mixer?

I'm getting lower output out of 3 and 4 as well. I have an output block for each output at the end of my patch. However, I noticed as I was playing that the output meters on 3 and 4 are lower, so the signal is quieter before it even leaves the Axe Fx. I do not know why as it's not intentional.

AxeFxIIIOutputMeters.JPG

I'm getting lower output out of 3 and 4 as well. I have an output block for each output at the end of my patch. However, I noticed as I was playing that the output meters on 3 and 4 are lower, so the signal is quieter before it even leaves the Axe Fx. I do not know why as it's not intentional.

AxeFxIIIOutputMeters.JPG
Seeing the same exact thing.

I think what I'm learning is that I need to read the manual. I see 1 and 2 have different settings than 3 and 4, so I guess it stands to reason that they are going to react or output differently, maybe?

OutputSettings.JPG

Thanks for posting that. I just created a preset with a SYN block sending to all Outputs. The Meter screen which shows all the outputs showed a pretty large discrepancy between Out 1&2 vs 3&4. Wasn't expecting to see that at all. I had all output knobs maxed.

Something seems amiss.

I have been all through that menu nothing seems to change output on 3-4.

Yeah the +4/-10db should be a physical thing. I didn't realize the difference was seen on the Axe side. I thought you saw that on your mixer (which it's their too). I did try the boost/pad at 18 and it did increase Output3/4 but not quite to the same levels as Output 1&2.

It sounds like it's probably a software issue or by design. Seems odd to me. Wasn't expecting to see this.

The manual does make reference to Outs 3 & 4 being intended for unity gain applications like 4CM (Pg 17). Fully clockwise is unity gain. I agree the levels won't match the output of 1 & 2 no matter where you set them. Not sure the thinking on that.

Yeah, setting Boost/Pad to 18db at least makes the meters look even, but the actual output is still quite a bit quieter. I'm intending on using 3 and 4 to power my Atomic CLRs. As long I can adjust the input control on the CLR to get me to where I need to be, no problem. Otherwise I may need to rethink my routing. I was going to send 1 to FOH and 2 to the monitor mixer, then use 3 and 4 for wedges if/when needed.

18db.JPG

I’m pretty sure this is by design. Out 1 and 2 are for line-level outputs to gear like mixers and powered speakers etc. Out 3 and 4 are for Unity gain, 4CM, external effects pedals etc.

Even with the reduced output, mixers and powered speakers should have enough gain adjustment on board to make those signals substantial right? Or could you just increase the level parameters in the Out 3 or Out 4 blocks?

Thanks Chris. Thats what I'm gathering as well. I just didn't notice any volume difference when rolling through Boost/Pad 0db to 18db. Haven't gotten a chance to hook this up to an amp and speakers.

Thanks Chris. Thats what I'm gathering as well. I just didn't notice any volume difference when rolling through Boost/Pad 0db to 18db. Haven't gotten a chance to hook this up to an amp and speakers.
That’s how it works. It’s more for balancing input signal/noise level for 4CM. It’s boosted and padded at the same rate. It’s the same on the Axe2 and a bit confusing when used for anything other than its intended purpose.

Set boost/pad back to 0 and turn up the main and/or row level in the output 3 block as needed. If you match Out 1's level this way it should be no different than using Out 1 to those devices.

I was hoping not to have to use an output block and just copy input 1.
Copying Input 1 means just the dry signal.

Can you send Out 1 to FOH and Out 2 to your speakers using Copy Out 1 to Out 2? Leave Outs 3 & 4 out of the equation?

Back
Top Bottom