Axe-Fx III is making my other stuff buzz!

I have a problem that, if the power cable is plugged into my Axe FX III, then I get a buzz through all my other effects. No combination of ground lifts affects this noise. Whether the Axe FX is wired to the other effects are not does not change the buzz. Any ideas? My thought is the AXE III is somehow sending the noise into the ground of my power. Is there a way to eliminate this? Would a Hum X work?

is everything plugged into the same power strip?

you're saying if the axe only has its power cable plugged in and nothing else connected to it at all, there is a buzz in the other gear?

Is it in the same rack with the rest of the gear?
If it is racked out and sits by itself on a book or something does it happen?

When I use it by itself there is no issue. If I have anything before or after it plugged into the same power conditioner (I've tried changing the conditioner to no effect), then there is a buzz. So I assumed ground issue and flipped the grounds without any change.

Not really a ground issues, but it sounds like a ground loop to me. That's why I asked if it happens if its unracked and placed by itself on a book or something

I haven't tried unracking it. It is in the same rack with the other gear (pedals on a tray). Do you think the chassis is grounding itself to something? I'll try unracking the pedals but I thought the velcro might isolate the pedals themselves electrically.

I'd try unracking the axe itself first and see

Sometimes you may have to rack it with nylon or teflon washers (I also stick some thin cardboard between to ensure nothing touches)

Could also be that everything else that is getting the DC power needs to be on a common reference, who knows yet

But try unracking the axe and see first

When I use it by itself there is no issue. If I have anything before or after it plugged into the same power conditioner (I've tried changing the conditioner to no effect), then there is a buzz. So I assumed ground issue and flipped the grounds without any change.
Now I’m confused. You said that if there’s anything before or after the Axe in your signal chain, you get the noise. But you also said that you get the noise with nothing connected to it at all. Which one is it?

I recommend some tests
  • Is the wall outlet properly grounded? You can check this with an inexpensive plug-in tester.
  • Is the power strip high quality? Check the outlets on the power strip to ensure they are also grounded properly, and that there isn't a hot/neutral reverse going on.
  • As asked above, is everything plugged into the same power strip?
  • If you can, test the power cables going to your gear. Make sure the ground has continuity from the plug to the connector on the other end.
Assuming all of that checks out...
  • What is powering your effects? Batteries, or a power supply? If it's a power supply, is it properly grounded?
We'll sort this out with the hive mind here. Better to avoid the use of ground lifts, as you really DO want to be properly grounded at all times.

Both Rex. I've tried all permutations.

Wall is properly grounded. I see ground all the way to the conditioner.
Power Conditioner not power strip. Furman AC-215. One of the higher end ones actually. Hasn't failed me yet but I'll try a Monster Power 2500 in the morning.
Everything is plugged into the same power. I'm going to try plugging just the AXE into different power in the morning just in case that helps somehow.
Pedal power is completely clean and shows ground. I'll try a different supply but that might take a few days.

Stupid questions here, but

-Is there any 'wall wart' type plug or adapter plugged in? Particularly one without ground? As in two pins?
If you unplug that one/s does it go away?

-Just to verify, there is NO cable other than the power cable connected to the axe - no USB, no ins/outs, no xlrs, no foot controller, no instrument cable etc? JUST the power cable?

Correct. The buzz happens regardless of the number of cables plugged in. Zero cables except power and my normal setup which is 1/4 in, 1/4 out, Faslink to a FC-12, MIDI out to a RJM Effects Gizmo both produce the same result.

The pedal power supply and the effects gizmo power supplies are wall warts.

Correct. The buzz happens regardless of the number of cables plugged in. Zero cables except power and my normal setup which is 1/4 in, 1/4 out, Faslink to a FC-12, MIDI out to a RJM Effects Gizmo both produce the same result.
Does the buzz happen if there's no guitar plugged in?

How are you powering the effects before and after the axefx? Maybe a strymon power supply would help? Digital effects pedals can cause power noise.

Back
Top Bottom