Axe-Fx III for Logic Pro X DI recording

Kelleys Heroes

Experienced
I'm contemplating the purchase of and Axe-FX iii. For the first few months, while I figure out the learning curve, it will sit in my studio and be used for recording electric, acoustic and bass parts. I use Logic Pro X, and though I haven't been particularly inspired by the stock amp/cab mods, I've gotten enough usable tones that I can record most everything I need. My expectations of the axe-fx will be much higher. Should I expect plenty of usable stock tones, or should I expect to have to make lots of tweaks, or even have to purchase what others have created? I've dabbled with Line 6 and Amplitude in the studio and haven't been impressed, and didn't like the idea of constantly buying "packs". Anyone with similar experience?

Should I expect plenty of usable stock tones, or should I expect to have to make lots of tweaks, or even have to purchase what others have created?
This is really hard to answer. The factory presets are very good, but what constitutes "usable" is entirely up to you.

There are well-regarded third-party preset packs that seem to check "usable" boxes for a lot of people from folks like Fremen, Austin Buddy, Moke and the like if you don't like the factory presets.

Thanks! The question could stand clarification. From my experience and tastes, whenever I have delved into studio amp modeling, mostly on Logic Pro X, none of the the amp/cab presets are generally usable without specific modifications. As if there is are very narrow sweet spots for "good" tone. Unlike using, say, an analog amp- many of them just pretty much sound good at with all the knobs on high noon!

Question for other Logic Pro X users: do the axe-fx III tones present similar challenges to LPX tones, or are they a significant improvement?

Thanks! The question could stand clarification. From my experience and tastes, whenever I have delved into studio amp modeling, mostly on Logic Pro X, none of the the amp/cab presets are generally usable without specific modifications. As if there is are very narrow sweet spots for "good" tone. Unlike using, say, an analog amp- many of them just pretty much sound good at with all the knobs on high noon!

Question for other Logic Pro X users: do the axe-fx III tones present similar challenges to LPX tones, or are they a significant improvement?
Ah! Well, this I can offer an opinion on as a long-time Logic and Fractal customer. There's almost no comparison. Logic models are, as you say, nice in a pinch. But they don't hold a candle to the tones you can pull out of Fractal gear. The sheer diversity of amp models and the open cabinet IR system already put the Fractal stuff well ahead of the Logic VSTi stuff. Then you layer in Fractal's realistic dynamics and deep controls and you start to see the Fractal stuff pull ahead of the Logic stuff very quickly.

Significant is an understatement.

But, I am biased. :)

Logic Pro user since 2004 and Fractal user for 4 years - I can confidently say that the Fractal sounds are miles better than what you can get in Logic (even with aftermarket products like Guitar Rig). The amps sound and play like the real thing and the effects are second to none.

Should I expect plenty of usable stock tones, or should I expect to have to make lots of tweaks, or even have to purchase what others have created?
Logic user and newbie Fractal user.
So I’ll just get right in here and be frank.
Logic modeling is a toy at best more of a guesture at the idea of modeling than a usable tool.

My experience is: I only have the Axe FXII... expect to make lots of tweaks to the stock IR’s, find a handful of usable ones and definitely purchase some third party cab packs.

For me it was the Achilles heel of the unit, the IR thing... something I didn’t anticipate beforehand.

Other than that I works great! Absolutely fantastic and showed up in Logic easily, after installing the USB software.
Have fun! ;)

Logic user and newbie Fractal user.
So I’ll just get right in here and be frank.
Logic modeling is a toy at best more of a guesture at the idea of modeling than a usable tool.

My experience is: I only have the Axe FXII... expect to make lots of tweaks to the stock IR’s, find a handful of usable ones and definitely purchase some third party cab packs.

For me it was the Achilles heel of the unit, the IR thing... something I didn’t anticipate beforehand.

Other than that I works great! Absolutely fantastic and showed up in Logic easily, after installing the USB software.
Have fun! ;)
Remember that the Axe Fx III has a huge number of IRs, most from 3rd party IR producers - 2048 more!

Many users that bought lots of IRs on the Axe Fx II are using only stock IRs on the III ;)

Back
Top Bottom