Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 3.02 Public Beta

Booom!!

Improved Drive block. WARNING!!! The sound of some of the drive models may have changed significantly.

· Drive models based on op-amp and diode clipping topologies have been completely overhauled.

· For many types there is now a “Dry Gain” control. This parameter controls the amount of “dry” signal mixed with the “wet” (distorted) signal. For a Tube Screamer-based model this will default to 100% due to the topology. For other types this will default to 0. Values up to 200% are allowed. Note that the dry data is added before any tone controls and therefore is not exactly equivalent to a mix but rather replicates the behavior of analog circuits.

· Drive types based on op-amp and diode clipping circuits now allow control over the type and quantity of diodes in the positive and negative polarity. For example, the user can select (2) 1N34A diodes for positive signal polarity and (1) red LED for negative. Experiment with the various diode types and quantities to obtain new and unique sounds.

· The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.

Added “All” to Tuner Input Source selection. This sums all inputs.

Fixed Tone Match block not updating correctly between preset changes if different Mode used.

Last edited by a moderator:
To explain the diode stuff:

Consider a simple pedal like this MXR Distortion+:
StreamImage.aspx

See the two diodes, D1 and D2? The type and quantity of these diodes (among other things that I can't reveal) affect the tone. D1 is the "negative" diode. It conducts when the voltage is negative. D2 is the "positive" diode. It conducts when the voltage is positive. In this schematic the diodes are listed as 1N34A but in the original Distortion+ they were actually 1N270. If you select the Plus Dist model and go to the last page in the UI you'll see the type of diode is 1N270. You can change the type and quantity which will change the distortion characteristics.

1N270 and 1N34A are Germanium diodes. They have a greater reverse saturation current (Is) and, hence, a lower forward voltage for a given current. This means they clip sooner. Silicon diodes, i.e. 1N4148, 1N916, etc. have a lower Is and a greater forward voltage. LEDs have yet a greater forward voltage (smaller Is).

This new firmware has 16 diode SPICE models that I collected from various sources that you can play with. 1N914 are often substituted for 1N4148 and vice-versa but they are slightly different so I included both. The original Tube Screamer had 1S1588 which, to my ears, are much different (better) sounding than 1N914 which are used in the newer Tube Screamers.

Curious which models have been changed and which haven't. I'll make it easier... ;-)

P.S. Just keeping busy while Fractal-Bot is backing up ....

BB Pre
Bender Fuzz
Bit Crusher
Blackglass B7K
Blues OD
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Eternal Love
Face Fuzz
FAS Boost
FAS LED-Drive
Fat Rat
FET Boost
FET Preamp
Full OD
Hard Fuzz
Master Fuzz
Micro Boost
Mid Boost
M-Zone Dist
Octave Dist
Pi Fuzz
Plus Dist
Rat Dist
Ruckus
SDD Preamp
Shimmer Drive
Shred Dist
Super OD
T808 Mod
T808 OD
Tape Dist
Timothy
Treb Boost
Tube Drv 3-knob
Tube Drv 4-knob
Zen Master

Drive types based on op-amp and diode clipping circuits now allow control over the type and quantity of diodes in the positive and negative polarity. For example, the user can select (2) 1N34A diodes for positive signal polarity and (1) red LED for negative. Experiment with the various diode types and quantities to obtain new and unique sounds.

Holy cow!!! Yeeeeeah!

Curious which models have been changed and which haven't. I'll make it easier... ;-)

BB Pre
Bender Fuzz
Bit Crusher
Blackglass B7K
Blues OD
Esoteric ACB
Esoteric RCB
Eternal Love
Face Fuzz
FAS Boost
FAS LED-Drive
Fat Rat
FET Boost
FET Preamp
Full OD
Hard Fuzz
Master Fuzz
Micro Boost
Mid Boost
M-Zone Dist
Octave Dist
Pi Fuzz
Plus Dist
Rat Dist
Ruckus
SDD Preamp
Shimmer Drive
Shred Dist
Super OD
T808 Mod
T808 OD
Tape Dist
Timothy
Treb Boost
Tube Drv 3-knob
Tube Drv 4-knob
Zen Master
You can tell which have changed by going to the "Adv" tab. If the diode type/number are listed the models have been updated.

Rely curious to see what this looks like.... The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.

Rely curious to see what this looks like.... The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.
In many cases I matched the names of the controls too. For example a Timmy has a Bass and Treble control but they're actually Low Cut and Tone controls. So I named them Bass and Treble. In one case I think I named it "Bass Cut" even though the pedal has "Bass". Or maybe it was "Bass (Cut)". Can't remember.

Back
Top Bottom