Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.02 Release

This is to be expected. You have Thump set very high. Thump is a nonlinear process and you've essentially pushed the speaker to the point that the voice coil is traveling well outside the magnet gap. Turn Thump down.
Love that.

Cliff you had said this at some point (in maybe a beta thread?) but probably not a lot of users know it yet. Make sense to edit this OP with a note to that effect?

Also @Admin M@ and @yek maybe some appropriate wording in manual, wiki if not already there?

This is to be expected. You have Thump set very high. Thump is a nonlinear process and you've essentially pushed the speaker to the point that the voice coil is traveling well outside the magnet gap. Turn Thump down.

With a real speaker and amp you would have destroyed the speaker.
Okay cool no worries. It's only up that high to demonstrate. Interesting sounds for sure :D

Reactions: J.C
yes this is an exciting new interaction , called "speaker in the room"

essentially the above poster has physically blown the speaker out of the cabinet and it is now sitting on the floor in the room

Note: this works especially well when combined w the Hiwatt Pete Townsend SIC
ah this is what they mean by 'amp in the room'! thanks ;)

Surprisingly, the majority of speaker failures that I saw were due to too little power.
oh! how does that work? My stuff can go major loud
but I only ever run it at very low volume, either with very low input or turned down at the end - am I damaging something like this?

but I only ever run it at very low volume, either with very low input or turned down at the end - am I damaging something like this?

As long as you're not clipping the power amp you should be fine. The problem comes when you are trying to run at high volumes with an under powered SS power amp. The amp will clip and the clipped signal can fry voice coils. If you have a power amp that is rated to provide clean power beyond the rating of your speakers you will never clip the amp. You can still blow speakers if you turn up the volume too high, but you will likely be in ear bleeding volume ranges before you run the risk of blowing the speakers.

For a detailed explanation I found this article to be informative:

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/clipping-revisited-with-more-evidence.431681/

Last edited:
Yeah, sending a clipped signal to a speaker is bad, especially if there’s DC involved. Voicecoil/formers can swell inside the magnet gap, make contact with the pole piece and stop the cone in its tracks. RIP.

With too much power, you’ll likely reach the mechanical limits before the voice coil fails.

Last edited:
Yeah, sending a clipped signal to a speaker is bad, especially if there’s DC involved. Voicecoil/formers can swell inside the magnet gap, make contact with the pole piece and stop the cone in its tracks. RIP.

With too much power, you’ll likely reach the mechanical limits before the voice coil fails.

Well. to be accurate the, the speaker did not fail due to too much power, if failed due to receiving a clipped signal. Underpowering a driver will never cause it to fail.

HI @sprint
Working past a power amps rating, essentially clips the signal close to the power supply rails. Severe clipping like that, looks like DC to a speaker and they get fried quickly. Having more amp power that the speaker is rated for, allows for AC peaks beyond the long term power handling capacity of the speaker but because it's nice clean audio (AC), it's very short term and most speakers can take a lot more (clean) power than the ratings let on.
It's the DC that kills... I can almost smell it :)

Thanks
Pauly

HI @sprint
Working past a power amps rating, essentially clips the signal close to the power supply rails. Severe clipping like that, looks like DC to a speaker and they get fried quickly. Having more amp power that the speaker is rated for, allows for AC peaks beyond the long term power handling capacity of the speaker but because it's nice clean audio (AC), it's very short term and most speakers can take a lot more (clean) power than the ratings let on.
It's the DC that kills... I can almost smell it :)

Thanks
Pauly
Thanks - think I'm ok as I never turn up my SS amps even though they are rated higher power than any of my cab speakers, and I never get near clipping on these amps. I was a bit worried for a minute above as I was misunderstanding that a very low non-clipped SS signal could cause damage.

Thanks for the insight - always learning from peeps here.

I wonder if Cliff will have a 21.12 firmware BEETA for our great friend Leon @ some point. It's only 2 weeks away at the rate of these incredible updates.....
Man does the fractal ever sound good! I need it loud enough, so the timbres in my home resonate with the cabinets. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom