Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 20.00

According to this post, there's a possible issue with per-preset foot switches in fw 20.

Linking here since this is the main thread for this release, where people who were thinking about updating would most likely look.

At FracTool Batch Setter...

So couldn't you use the 'Amp Resetter' instead of the 'Batch Resetter' in Fractool? I check boxed everything to remain unchanged except for the Spkr Drive. I tried it on one preset then did ranges. It basically changed the Spkr Drive to 2 and did it on both amps at the same time on multi amp presets.

It also works well before the AMP/CAB, depending on the result that you want. At some of my presets I am using it before the AMP/CAB.

I also have to experiment between the AMP and the CAB. I often insert a Tape Drive between these two blocks.
I've had good results with both before the amp block and between the amp & speaker blocks.

So couldn't you use the 'Amp Resetter' instead of the 'Batch Resetter' in Fractool? I check boxed everything to remain unchanged except for the Spkr Drive. I tried it on one preset then did ranges. It basically changed the Spkr Drive to 2 and did it on both amps at the same time on multi amp presets.
Resetting the amp is different than adjusting one setting if the Amp block was previously modified. Fractal-Bot Edit has a batch-setting capability that can be used to adjust the speaker setting.

Last edited:
Resetting the amp is different than adjusting one setting if the Amp block was previously modified. Fractal-Bot has a batch-setting capability that can be used to adjust the speaker setting.
In preset manager, I select multiple presets, right click and reset amp, it will leave my basic amp settings alone but reset all the “deep” parameters to firmware default, including speaker drive=2

In preset manager, I select multiple presets, right click and reset amp, it will leave my basic amp settings alone but reset all the “deep” parameters to firmware default, including speaker drive=2
Yes, that allows resetting amp blocks in a batch, but that’s not the batch-setting capability I’m talking about. See Parameter Batch Set.

The first can inadvertently change settings that the user had adjusted in the lower-levels of the Cab block. Parameter Batch Set works on all block types and only changes the specified parameter.

I’ve used it to change several different things and it works nicely.

That workaround doesn't work quite as well now with dsp firmware version 20. The situation has definitely improved, but there are new problems to contend with now. I think things are in flux at the moment and we're at an awkward intermediate stage on the way to a good solution to the problem. Hopefully that will be soon and there won't be any need to update the workaround instructions, except to delete them.
What are the new issues?

I'm just seeing the same: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/usb-audio-latency-decreases-after-a-few-minutes.176582/

Yeah, I was wondering about that; that makes sense. I guess one could run a test by keeping Speaker Compression at zero, then have Speaker Drive at zero and see if Speaker Breakup has an audible effect (my guess is no), then turn up Speaker Drive to a pretty high setting, then try all three Speaker Breakup settings to see if that's in fact what they do; regardless, it's damn awesome to have yet another speaker parameter!
The Speaker Breakup parameter seems to be tied to the Cab Resonance; it is on even at Speaker Drive at 0.00 I would describe it as the attack of the speaker breakup; Soft is muted, Medium is normal and Hard is tight. I like Hard for modern metal tones, Medium for rock, etc. and Soft for blues or jazz tones.

First, thanks to all at Fractal! As always, top notch!

For those of us that updated to the beta version, what is the best way to update to 20 and avoid mapping issues. I’m not in front of my machine and am unsure of whether I made a backup of 19? Yes, I learned my lesson.

I’m not sure I ever rolled back?

The Speaker Breakup parameter seems to be tied to the Cab Resonance; it is on even at Speaker Drive at 0.00 I would describe it as the attack of the speaker breakup; Soft is muted, Medium is normal and Hard is tight. I like Hard for modern metal tones, Medium for rock, etc. and Soft for blues or jazz tones.

Thanks so much for investigating! I often forget about the Cab Resonance parameter, so I'm really glad you brought that up. I'm still catching up on work, hoping to play soon; this is killing me!

The pre-delay echo in the Reverb is so nice.
Really enjoying the sound and feel of this update. Set Speaker Drive to 2. Good to go.

Looking for some advice:
I'm currently on firmware 19.01 & presets are just factory presets from 16.04 with minor tweeks (been working too much this last year!!).

So I want to start from scratch with the 19.04 factory presets. So would best way to go about it be, in order:
  • Install 19.04 factory presets
  • install Firmware 20.0
  • Reset All Amp Blocks

Cheers.

Looking for some advice:
I'm currently on firmware 19.01 & presets are just factory presets from 16.04 with minor tweeks (been working too much this last year!!).

So I want to start from scratch with the 19.04 factory presets. So would best way to go about it be, in order:
  • Install 19.04 factory presets
  • install Firmware 20.0
  • Reset All Amp Blocks

Cheers.
IMO no don't reset the amp blocks. Their settings are there because the preset makers liked them that way. You might want to use the batch setter tool in AxeEdit to set Speaker Drive to 2 for all presets, that's the default value now.

Back
Top Bottom