Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 17.00 Public Beta 3

Here are two FullRes IRs that you can import (thanks to ValhallIR for these):
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/17p0/V2-Viper-k-sE8-FFL.syx
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/17p0/V2-Viper-k-sE8-FFR.syx

A new version of Axe-Edit is forthcoming which will support FullRes IR management. If you're impatient you can use the above steps to import the IRs.

We are expecting FullRes content from providers shortly.
Would I be able to use CABLAB in my DAW to make use of the new cab feature, if I own CABLAB and a III mk1 unit, and buy some new FullRes cab IR's?

Thanks

If I am not wrong, it’s a new diode implementation in the ts-like drive we have, not a full new Maxon 808 modeling .

Added 1S1588T diode SPICE model to Drive block. This is the Toshiba version of the 1S1588 and is reportedly the diode used in the “best sounding” TS-808s. The T808 OD models have been updated to use this diode. Existing presets are unchanged.
Interesting. A/B comparison incoming.

Done: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/comparing-tube-screamer-models.177022/

Subtle is the word. I have no preference for the models or the changes across the beta releases. They all sound like Tube Screamers to me.

Last edited:
If I am not wrong, it’s a new diode implementation in the ts-like drive we have, not a full new Maxon 808 modeling .

I think it's two separate changes. The added diode is to the existing 808 models, while the Maxon and VS9 are whole new drive models altogether.

Per @yek:
Two Drive types have been added: Maxon OD-808 (Maxoff 808) and TS9 (Valve Screamer VS9).

it’s not mentioned that it’s the one in the Maxon 808. I m interest too to have the whole model in the axe. It’s more than one diode . If we can have details about it 👍🏻
max-on-max-off.jpg

Someone had to do it.... :)

FWIW, I had an idea for alternate paths to get some AITR going, for those who are not able to use the IRs for whatever reason:

Reverb with a few adjustments to lose the room wash and focus on the early reflections doesn't do a horrible job at giving some AITR feel.

BLOCK FILE (right click and save-as if you get a screen full of gibberish)

Block is set up for a parallel reverb block, but should do ok in series with input gain and mix numbers swapped, more or less to taste, YMMV, not valid in all states, void where prohibited by law....

So I tried out the new cabs and I am getting a repeat after striking a cord of what I can best describe as a scratch of a washboard sound. Is this a known issue?

@FractalAudio it seems there is a bug. When I'm switching my presets I hear a pop from my speakers. It's pretty quiet but noticeable.

BUG REPORT 1 (affects sound)
This sound occurs only when I'm switching between some presets, it seems it depends on the drive block. Example presets are attached. When I'm switching from C++ -> MKIV it's silent, but when switching through MKIV -> C++ there is a pop. Relative to FW17PB3.

BUG REPORT 2 (affects display)
There is a problem with the Perform-Glb page. It can't handle long texts normally, nor param name, nor value. Screenshot attached. It seems that need a shortener function that will handle long strings such as "Global USB Output Mapping". Relative to all the latest FW versions.

Attachments

• 413_MESA BOOGIE MKII C++.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 414_USA Mk IV.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo_2021-09-26 00.45.jpg
    photo_2021-09-26 00.45.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 28
From release notes.
"NOTE: The FullRes User IR bank is only available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II."
The Scratchpad bank has been updated to support FullRes IRs.

NOTE: The FullRes User IR bank is only available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. The original Axe-Fx III has less non-volatile memory and therefore does not have the necessary resources to store the IRs. The Scratchpad bank supports FullRes IRs but the data will be lost when the unit is powered off.

Would I be able to use CABLAB in my DAW to make use of the new cab feature, if I own CABLAB and a III mk1 unit, and buy some new FullRes cab IR's?

Thanks
I don't think the current version supports FullRes. Cliff has mentioned a new version of Cab-Lab is forthcoming.

Really? That's new.....
But you can only preview the FullRes and not load them into a slot? Is that the case now?
You can load them into slots 3 & 4 (which are the only ones that support FullRes) but you will loose them once the power is turned off. That's fine to check them out, do some recording, etc. You would have to reload them again the next time you used the Axe so I will be taking notes on how I have things set so I can reproduce presets I use them on.

You can load them into slots 3 & 4 (which are the only ones that support FullRes) but you will loose them once the power is turned off. That's fine to check them out, do some recording, etc. You would have to reload them again the next time you used the Axe so I will be taking notes on how I have things set so I can reproduce presets I use them on.
Well at least you can play with them now.
Good work Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom