Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.04

The stereo reverb effect I'm thinking about doesn't require input that's different on the two sides, like ping pong delays. If you clap your hands in a cave, that's more or less a single point source, but the refections that come back are most definitely stereo, giving a sense of the dimensions of the room.

Most reverbs that are stereo out at all do this, generate stereo output from a mono source. Some also try to generate realistic stereo output from stereo sources. The block diagram earlier makes it clear the the Axe doesn't do that, it sums the inputs to mono. It's unclear from that whether the generated reverb reflections and tails are are stereo, but I strongly suspect they are.
ah . k..I understand now - maybe what you mention is what I'm hearing when running reverb 100% wet and then changing the stereo spread - can definitely hear some movement there.

The manual is our friend. You can confirm here that the wet signal is summed and the dry signal maintains the stereo:
View attachment 85703
Careful with the wording here - The wet signal is not summed. The reverb input signal is summed to mono, but the generated reverb - the wet signal - is stereo (not summed). This also explains why a ping pong delay will be collapsed, but there is stereo spread (unrelated to the ping pong) from the reverb algo.
The only way to achieve a true stereo reverb is to run two reverbs in parallel selecting the inputs as L and R, respectively.

Back
Top Bottom