Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 "Cygnus"

Can anyone tell me if one can offset the signal in a block by a few milliseconds?
Because im running an eventide rack after the cab block in parallel on an fx loop and that eventide introduces a slight delay if in parallel to the main line. Is there a delay compensation option I can use on the other parallel internally routed row? Because I am running the eventide only 60 percent wet. So phase can be heard.
Set it to 100% wet and mix in the Axe, like a parallel path, which it is.

Can anyone tell me if one can offset the signal in a block by a few milliseconds?
Because im running an eventide rack after the cab block in parallel on an fx loop and that eventide introduces a slight delay if in parallel to the main line. Is there a delay compensation option I can use on the other parallel internally routed row? Because I am running the eventide only 60 percent wet. So phase can be heard.

Use the Compressor block with 1:1 ratio and use look-ahead to set the micro-delay.

Use the Compressor block with 1:1 ratio and use look-ahead to set the micro-delay.
I see that you are trying to say.
Thanks for trying to help.
Although this block only allows 2ms max. The eventide probably processes in closer to 5ms.

Speaking of compressors,
The other problem I am having is when inserting a gate block after a compressor (I do it that way in any rig to maximize my available guitar signal before gating), there is sudden cut outs in a wierd cutting way. You can tell if you hold a note then wait for it to cut out. Its like slicing the audio instead of a smooth stop.

Actually yeah, what the heck, it would still be cool to check it out. Thanks!
Here ya go. I added a Fat Rat in parallel for even more grindy fun. I recommend using 4x12 guitar cabs for the dirty channel to get close to the original sound. That's what I used before capturing the DG Elite 4x12 bass cab from the Element.

Attachments

• Schecter Bass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
And actually, using the gate block does this even without a compressor in the chain.
The gate doesnt act like the built-in gate at the input.

Ok actually it may be the way I dialed in the gate. It seems like a verry narrow range of parameters will allow it to feel like a quick pad.

But that issue with only 2 ms look ahead on the compressor is notably of concern. I hope that it will be at least noted without me needing to wish list because I dont want to flood the wish list page any more with requests.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie something was up since 16.00b8, I had great tones and they were lost. I assumed (wrongfully) that the updates were the cause and I was trying to build my presets again from scratch with no luck everything sounded "weak", lacked bass and was not pleasant in the highs.
Well turns out my guitar cable must have gone when I updated from beta 8 to 9... great timing...
Anyways, I got all 4 of my main amps dialed in today with a new cable and everything sounds great. Just the authentic controls and a York audio IR and its pretty well perfect. Normally I'll make a few tweaks in the amp block, but they are no longer needed. I tried a few, but could only make it sound worse, meaning they are probably set correctly...

2 things to take away:
1. When in doubt, check your damn guitar cable...
2. Cliff and the amp makers probably know a thing or two about amps... So the default settings for most things are probably optimal. (especially now that its so accurate.)

Thanks Cliff and Fractal now it not only sounds amazing, it only takes 2 mins to setup a tone!

Last edited:
Newbie here - spent the weekend building a few rigs, and I'm finding it weird that I don't really need to tweak much from the stock settings...! For example, the CCV2A sounds pretty much perfect at stock. I've had to adjust the Plexi 50w, but that's one of the few where it's needed tweaking.

Very impressed!

Newbie here - spent the weekend building a few rigs, and I'm finding it weird that I don't really need to tweak much from the stock settings...! For example, the CCV2A sounds pretty much perfect at stock. I've had to adjust the Plexi 50w, but that's one of the few where it's needed tweaking.

Very impressed!
CCV models has been like that since ax8 days :)

I tweak always only 3 things : input gain, input trim, input dynamics.

most balanced amp sim IMO.

Here ya go. I added a Fat Rat in parallel for even more grindy fun. I recommend using 4x12 guitar cabs for the dirty channel to get close to the original sound. That's what I used before capturing the DG Elite 4x12 bass cab from the Element.

Many thanks! Going to try this today.

Very impressed!

I was able to do this with most of the Friedman’s, the 6160, CCV and I think the Atomica....I know there was one other amp where I just left it alone, didn’t tweak it at all, but saved the preset.

I keep having a knee-jerk reaction when I see people talking about the AxeFX in other forums, whenever I see “You just need to take the time to dial it in.”, because while that was certainly the case previously, Cygnus has greatly, GREATLY reduced the amount of time spent dialing stuff in, to the point you just need to find a suitable IR and you’re on the way.

Without getting an A vs B discussion, I think this is the one thing that’s made a lot of other modelers/plug-ins the first choice for people. For shats and gaggles I downloaded two of NDSP’s plug-ins and was quite impressed with how you are given a recording-ready tone at default. Most of the presets are usable without the need to tweak and when it comes to tweaking, you’ve got the front amp panel, a post EQ and a cab block to move the mics around with. Not too much, but just enough to tweak to taste. Hearing how people rave about them, I came to the conclusion that a lot of people want that experience; to plug in and have their tone ready for them with the least amount of work.

By and large, the AxeFX has not been a device that does that. For me, that’s a benefit because the idea of using the same tone everyone else is doesn’t thrill me by any means and I got it specifically so I could tweak until I was content. But Cygnus has certainly stepped it up in that aspect and it’ll be interesting to see how things change over the course of the next year as more people end up realizing they CAN just plug into an AxeFX and within a couple minutes have a recording-ready tone.

So the default settings for most things are probably optimal.
The defaults are just a starting place and not set to be "optimal" (assuming you're not referring to Ideal or other advanced settings).

Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble etc just default to 5. They aren't there because someone decided that was the "best" setting.

The defaults are just a starting place and not set to be "optimal" (assuming you're not referring to Ideal or other advanced settings).

Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble etc just default to 5. They aren't there because someone decided that was the "best" setting.
I was refering to the advanced controls, of course the Drive, Bass, Mid, etc.. need adjusting but thats about it now.

New Ax3 owner! Couldn't be happier! Honestly I was skeptical after not bonding with the ax8, I never had the correct output amp/cab or settings. The axe III is looking like the best piece of gear I own. Using a HR108 and wondering how much I am missing out on, even as good as it sounds thru the 108, would the ASC 10 or 12 really impress me. The 108 isn't bad but reality tells me I am not getting the best bang for my buck. Downloaded the Cygnus update. My LCD reads Beta 16.01.. newbie obviously, should it ready Cygnus 16.01? Thanks and huge thanks to Fractal Audio!! Cheers

New Ax3 owner! Couldn't be happier! Honestly I was skeptical after not bonding with the ax8, I never had the correct output amp/cab or settings. The axe III is looking like the best piece of gear I own. Using a HR108 and wondering how much I am missing out on, even as good as it sounds thru the 108, would the ASC 10 or 12 really impress me. The 108 isn't bad but reality tells me I am not getting the best bang for my buck. Downloaded the Cygnus update. My LCD reads Beta 16.01.. newbie obviously, should it ready Cygnus 16.01? Thanks and huge thanks to Fractal Audio!! Cheers
The new 16.01 is no Beta.

Back
Top Bottom