Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 Beta 1 Public Beta

I use the Axe FX right now to practice. For that, I always just want to feel like I've got a fantastic tube amp right next to me, warts and all. The Axe FX completely does that. And of course, when it's time to record, I can alter the hell out of it to make it fit a mix, but I've never seen anything that can go in the opposite direction, providing something mix ready off the bat, but that also allows you to feel like you're actually playing through an amp in the room. Those are my two cents. Hats off to Cliff and the other FAS engineers.

Agreed. I’ve been mixing lately by tweaking a DI as it’s playing through the AxeFX. I don’t need to EQ guitars in post at all doing it this way. It’s generally just a few EQ tweaks away from the tone I used to track/jam around with.

Hi,

What a coincidence - I have a splinter too!.. And thanks to this firmware, I'll be digging it out with a les paul!
Mine is gone now and will be a distant memory by the time I dig out (of it's case) my Les Paul this evening! Also coincidentally, a contractor yesterday showed me a clip doing the rounds of a guy with his doctor having the sole of his foot examined. There is a pin prick of blood and the doctor squeezing the flesh and suddenly a 2 inch long piece of lumber shoots out. You know something is gonna happen but damn this thing ejects.

On topic, tonight I'm going Soldano 100. I got my axe3 just as Cygnus was being teased and epiphanies were being had, and experimented with Ares until the 16.0 beta candidate dropped. I only made a couple of trial presets (Diezel and Soldano) which I deleted before installing 16.0, since which time I've been playing the Mesa C+ and PVY 6160. On Ares I had the Soldano doing a nice smooth and warm Opeth distortion thing. Whilst doing some tweaks I suddenly had this huge crusty Matt Pike High On Fire sound raging and since learned he does indeed have a couple of 100's in his rather substantial live rig. Tonight's quest is to find that sound again. It was huge on Ares, I shudder to think what 16.1 is gonna do to the foundations and anticipate big s**t eating grins, to turn a phrase.

I'm new to the Fractal universe as of this year and highly appreciate Cliff's quest for accuracy. We get the great and the not so great of the physical amps and then the tweakability to mold the sound to our own interpretations of how we want them to sound, and the responsiveness is quite staggering, like really forcing current through vacuum tubes. I'm not one for hyperbole or shouting my opinions in public but this is a crazy ride I'm soooo glad I jumped on. Thanks Cliff and team.

Last edited:
When testing the AMPS I noticed that the output volume of the Class A 30W Bright is very low

The level set to +14, then it fits.

Top Boost Scene 1-3

OK after a comparison with C16.00, there is this way and probably right

Small but perhaps important note.

All presets edited under C16.01BETA. Are displayed as empty in C16.00.

After return to C16.01beta everything is back.

Last edited:
What is it you don’t like
is it bassier , thinner
also had you already tweaked a bunch of presets for 16.0?

I only use about 6-8 presets so I am very familiar with how they sound, some were updated for Cygnus and others didn't need much tweaking. This update noticeably changed them in a bad way to the point I would have to start from scratch possibly with different amps, I just don't need to invest the time to redo them because they were already perfect in 16 release version.

trying the beta, for now I don't hear any differences .
note 1 - The presence button in the engl severe 1 act very, very strangely . is it me ? I have done the refresh after firmware etc .
note 2 - the presence shift button in mark 4 is very weird too .
note 3 - big volume drop in legend 100 II model compared to the other firmware

Last edited:
Just checking if the Two Stone J35 model should have a Presence control. According to the documentation the originals do not have one.

@nambutio and I'm not even joking :pensive:

all the fenders and marshall are ok

the darkglass is cool . small overdrive
I tried both with or without a bass head block with active and passive bass .
you got some more bass with the head block . this pedal needs extreme settings to sound good .

Hello!

I want to produce the guitar sound on the right.
Could you help me?
This sound is the tip of my heart.
A working preset that says so.

Keith Richard's Voodoo Lounge: love is strong

Thanks for all the help!

Just checking if it's correct for the TUBE PRE model to have a Master control, because it's a preamp model with power amp modeling disabled (SAG is off).

I tried out this Beta, but for the first time I didn't like this update, my patches all sounded much better before. I had to revert back to Cygnus release version 16. I tried out the Brit Brown, Recto1 Orange Modern, Atomica High, and Class-A 30W. I might just stay with version 16 since it already sounds great to me.

Went through all amp models today. The above mentioned models sound okay to me (default settings).

I dunno...I kinda like the hum. Let's ya know something "cool" is about to happen. Like the hiss of a lit fuse on a stick of dynamite. ;)
Then they should have a hum on or off switch or even a dial to get you the right amount of hum, Johnson noise, and shot noise!
They should also model a microphonic tube where you can set the pitch it shrieks at, intensity,duration, etc.
Could have random mode and foot switched to shriek when you wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom