Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole point of selecting row 3 as sidechain input is so I don't have to use tricks such as hard panning an recombining.
If I change sidechain to input 1 and play normally, the sound from row three is much louder. So it's attenuated when using the row as the sidechain, but it should go away completely.
Still a bug in my opinion.

Had a few minutes to demo 14.00 last night (recto patch) - awesome tone as before, but I hear a definite improvement in individual string definition.

The whole point of selecting row 3 as sidechain input is so I don't have to use tricks such as hard panning an recombining.
If I change sidechain to input 1 and play normally, the sound from row three is much louder. So it's attenuated when using the row as the sidechain, but it should go away completely.
Still a bug in my opinion.

I understand what you are asking for, but it really is a feature. Sidechain source is only for the detector and works this way on other mixing gear. The audio channels and the actual detector source are independent of each other. This is true elsewhere, not just on Fractal gear. The crux of the problem is that tiny white cable that is coming from your looper row. That's really the audio that is fed into Gate. In theory, what you'd like to do is just pick off the looper block without binding the audio into the gate (ie no shunt). I totally get it, but it's a feature.

I can see how the above could be difficult to implement because of all the possible source outputs. But one way might be to have another option for the side-chain on the block that allows you to "mute" the audio for a certain row. I'd recommend opening a wish list for this.

Until this feature is addressed, you could add another block to the gated row and significantly lower the volume of it. Then just change the gating thresholds instead.

I can use input 1 as the side chain source. In that case, nothing comes thru to the other side of the gate. So it works right there. It should be possible to have it work right with the other side chain sources. It is mentioned you can use the gate as a ducker, in that case you need the side chain input to come from another, and you absolutely need none of that sidechain input to come through the gate.

It's not a feature, it just does not work right. It could be a feature if there was a control that allowed me to decide how much is passed thru. It only comes thru the left side by the way.

Here's a little snippet from the Blocks guide - Rows and inputs should work the same
Gate.png

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
I can use input 1 as the side chain source. In that case, nothing comes thru to the other side of the gate. So it works right there. It should be possible to have it work right with the other side chain sources. It is mentioned you can use the gate as a ducker, in that case you need the side chain input to come from another, and you absolutely need none of that sidechain input to come through the gate.

It's not a feature, it just does not work right. It could be a feature if there was a control that allowed me to decide how much is passed thru. It only comes thru the left side by the way.
Yes, the sidechain source should not be mixed into the audio. I will take a look at the gate block code to make sure the sidechain is being processed correctly.

Yes, the sidechain source should not be mixed into the audio. I will take a look at the gate block code to make sure the sidechain is being processed correctly.

Thanks for looking into this. Just a point of clarification. I still think the block is implemented properly, especially when looking at the block diagram. The side-chain source is not mixed into the audio. However, if that source is then "linked" to the block, then the audio does come through (L & R in the block diagram). This works just like all the mixers I own where the audio & side-chain are entirely independent.

I think the real question is should the input of that block additionally mute any source audio rows selected by the side-chain configuration. In the example below, if Row2 is selected for the side-chain, should we mute LR for Row 2? There are definitely cases where you want the audio to go through, but it would be nice to have the option to mute it like in @Smittefar 's case.

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 11.05.59 AM.png

Last edited:
Same here. I like to download the FW and save it in a version-specific folder. Does Fractal-Bot actually save a copy of the FW on the computer and let you specify where to save it?

[Edit to add]As a test, I just rolled back to 13.03 and as others here reported, Fractal-Bot doesn't prompt me to upgrade to 14.0. So I rolled back to 12.14 and when Fractal-Bot asked if I wanted to upgrade to 13.03, I accepted. Turns out the FW syx file isn't stored on the local computer, it's just in Fractal-Bot memory. I'll keep doing things the manual way. It's handy to have all the previous FW versions at my fingertips. Disk space is plentiful and cheap. ;)
AxeEdit does all of this automatically, and lets me choose where to save the file, so I use its auto update feature for convenience. Disk space is cheap and plentiful, but time isn't....

That new plexi.....
Gain at 5, Les Paul, and it already sounds as if it’s about to explode
In the most beautiful way

Here's a little snippet from the Blocks guide - Rows and inputs should work the same
View attachment 72288
Please post your preset because it's working fine here.

View attachment 72288
Also works for me as expected - no audio comes in to gate from another row when that same row is specified as sidechain in the gate. Compressor works the same.

I'm wondering if the row of shunts is the issue (you specify row 3 as the side chain but row 3 is all shunts). Try going to a new row just before the amps and then connect looper to gate with row1 specifed as sidechain in the gate.

Jeez, it’s almost like living in the 17th century again, when we relied on squirrel-powered dial-up to deliver our precious updates …

(sorry, I know that sounds a little snide, but good grief! Is it all that difficult?)

LOL..seriously.....come on. I was just asking if I did something wrong. I was NOT complaining.

Lighten up. :)

And please don’t hurt any squirrels.

The new plexi is a gem. One thing I've noticed is that with the amp updates the delays= and modulation effects sound better in front of the amp than they did previously. The interaction between effect and amp feels just like the real thing.

Please post your preset because it's working fine here.
I made a short video (1:30 seconds) demonstrating, what I hear

The preset is attached (stock cabs, no global blocks, everything should work)

Attachments

• Smittefars Metal Hi-Gain Test_LooperGate.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom