Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low Peak and High Peak.

it’s a switch on the original pedal. It controls the frequency range.

Out of curiosity, why would one add a new type as opposed to putting a switch in the existing type? Same question would apply to some of the amp types - I'm guessing there is a deep engineering reason, but a few sentence layman explanation would satisfy my curiosity just fine. ;)

Simply because when playing a gig the volume pedal is always turned down when I'm not playing (so even between songs unless it's an instant transition). It's just a habit for stopping any unwanted noises from the guitar from a variety of setups over the years where the volume pedal was basically the only constant :) I could change that to a tuner mute with the Axe FX, but saw no need to do so as I need a volume pedal anyways.
Yeah, 2 ways of doing the same thing. I also always have a master volume pedal but I have it set in the middle so I have headroom to go louder or softer depending on what's needed. Most of the time it stays put but at some gigs, certain patches need a little on the fly volume adjustment. I use the tuner as a mute so that way, when we start the next song, the volume is exactly the same as the previous song. The cool thing about the Axe is it's so flexible & can be set up in so many different ways. This new feature to be able to engage the tuner on heel down will sure help those that want to free up a controller switch for something else.

BTW, what is the difference between the OCD HP AND LP?

HP has a bit more mids/bite compared to LP. See also yek's thread on the OCD: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...n-distortion-based-on-fulltone-ocd-v1.164491/

Out of curiosity, why would one add a new type as opposed to putting a switch in the existing type? Same question would apply to some of the amp types - I'm guessing there is a deep engineering reason, but a few sentence layman explanation would satisfy my curiosity just fine.

It's most likely design philosophy due to the "channels" feature which acts as unified switching for any block. Thus to switch between HP and LP, put them in different channels. Then they can be assigned to scenes or switched using any number of methods.

It also keeps the code base per channel (e.g. drive or amp) more compact and potentially unified (e.g. templated with certain advanced features available across all models). A 4-channel amp or 2-channel drive coded into one channel has more code and thus a larger active memory footprint.

I tried to install it twice and "File Transfer in Progress" stuck at 93.7%. both times.
I occasionally had issues using Fractal-Bot to download FW so I now download the file directly to my computer. Open Fractal-Bot, browse to find the file (I have a "Firmware" folder) and install. No issues at all using this method.

I tried to install it 7 times. It gets stuck on 93.7%. I tried turning it off, unplug/replug usb.

This is the error message I get when it reaches 93.7%:
1598033751424.png

Yeah, 2 ways of doing the same thing. I also always have a master volume pedal but I have it set in the middle so I have headroom to go louder or softer depending on what's needed. Most of the time it stays put but at some gigs, certain patches need a little on the fly volume adjustment. I use the tuner as a mute so that way, when we start the next song, the volume is exactly the same as the previous song. The cool thing about the Axe is it's so flexible & can be set up in so many different ways. This new feature to be able to engage the tuner on heel down will sure help those that want to free up a controller switch for something else.
I guess its usefulness depends on how you are using your volume pedal. :)

I keep mine full up, generally, and use it for muting and fade-ins via the VolPan block in every preset. I have the solo boost added in on the VolPan's output level control, so it is one-stop shopping for relative volume control. I have a knob on the front panel to set overall balance relative to other band members as well as a knob on the Spacestation XL if I run out of room there....

Out of curiosity, why would one add a new type as opposed to putting a switch in the existing type? Same question would apply to some of the amp types - I'm guessing there is a deep engineering reason, but a few sentence layman explanation would satisfy my curiosity just fine. ;)

I think it's because a knob or switch with a variable effect results in a more complex model than a fixed circuit. In the models you can take several different physical components and simplify them to one resulting affect on the audio that passes through it. When you have a switch now you have multiple different parts loaded into memory you have to swap between, and you might need to use more steps in your model to simulate the parts around it. So the Axe FX tends to use an approach where it assumes that switch is just a fixed value in the circuit. Then a different model is created with the alternative fixed value in the circuit.

This also shows up in some amps where sometimes a switch just adds a capacitor on an EQ circuit to shift it, and sometimes it adds and entire circuit with additional gain stages.

Some amps have basically three different signal paths, one for clean, one for crunch, and one for lead. Some just sub in extra parts in the middle for lead. The Mark IIC+ is an example of this: Clean it's similar to a Fender clean circuit, and when Lead is engaged it adds a couple more gain stages into the middle of the path. But the same tonestack is used, and the parts before and after the lead circuit are identical too. It could be considered just a switch that adds more gain instead of a whole separate channel.

But that's a lot of variety that the Axe handles just by saying "we'll pretend there's an amp without the modes or channels and instead is just handwired to this config, and then we'll pretend there's another amp which is handwired to this other config." It's a clever solution because it keeps the models simple and easy to create (compared to other approaches). And the things that are implemented as switches instead become available on all the models.

So I'm assuming why it wasn't added as a switch was because the Low Peak/High Peak switch is kind of specific to this pedal, where most pedals just choose one value for the thing it toggles. And it didn't make sense to make it generic for all the models. But the bass shaping control on the Precision Drive did make sense to be generalized to all the models, so Cliff was good enough to add it to the drive block so it can be applied to every drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom