Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda disagree...the ease fractal has provided in unifying the “guitar system” under one umbrella helps me make music and greatly simplify workflow. New features like pitch to midi detection would be done by the best engineering operation going and would further integrate and benefit the guitarist. I see this as a natural extension... IMHO
(having said all that pitch to midi detection in the box is what I would like to see rather than new pickups...so maybe we agree? :) )

Yeah, I have a Fishman Triple Play, which I use occasionally.. and have owned various other Roland/Boss guitar synth products in the past. This idea of a "unified ecosystem" was what I was getting at. I bet that if Fractal developed out guitar pickup/electronic systems as well, we would not only see top of class capabilities like the current generation of Fishman/Graphtech/Roland hex pickup technology, but that it would open up a whole new realm of innovations and improvements, when coupled with AFX integration. A couple ecliffanies later and who knows what's possible.

That being said, I agree that Pitch to MIDI / polyphonic tracking in the box is lower hanging fruit, and would be an awesome addition that could improve pitch based effects and guitar synth capabilities.

I used the VC at a worship gig over the weekend (minimal band only, distancing rules, for broadcast) and did three songs on electric using this beta firmware. Three presets, and two of them shifted using VC (+2 and +3). I have done +5 previously. Sounded great. I also have an ambient -3 preset I want to use at a certain point in the service, but my wife says it sounds kinda scary.

I just got an FM3 primarily for the worship gig, and am struggling a bit to transition those worship presets (heavy reverbs and delays, plus the pitch shifting) from AF3 to FM3, so hoping the improvements don’t significantly increase cpu usage (probably wishful thinking, I know). Either way, thanks for the constant product improvements!

My experience to date is there's still a tad too much latency and tracking issues. Especially when covering fast paced Celtic-style tunes. Def usable with slower strumming styles though.

I have a Fender American VG Stratocaster that does a very good job of tuning and more.
I had the MIM version of that and it worked really well for live. I wouldn't record with it, but you can blow some minds with the 12 string, dobro, sitar and alternate tunings. Kinda wish I didn't sell it sometimes.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Decreased minimum Attack Time of Compressor block to 0.1 ms. Existing presets are automatically updated.

Added JFET Compressor type.

Improved Intelligent Pitch Shifter algorithm. This applies to all Pitch types except Dual and Quad Detune or when the Tracking Mode is set to “Off”.

Improved Crystal Echoes algorithm. The Crossfade Time and Crossfade Type parameters have been removed as they are no longer applicable.

Improved Plex Shift and Plex Shimmer types in the Plex block. The Cross-fade parameter has been removed. For the Plex Detune type the Cross-fade parameter has been renamed Granule Length as that is a more accurate description.

Improved Envelope Followers in Megatap, Multitap and Plex Delay blocks.

Added PVH 6160+ Clean Bright and PVH 6160+ Crunch Bright amp models based on a Peavey 6505+ Rhythm channel with the Bright switch engaged. Note that the bright switch on this channel does not engage a capacitor on the drive potentiometer as is typical but instead disengages a treble cut circuit.

Renamed PVH 6160+ Rhythm and PVH Rhythm B models PHV 6160+ Clean and PVH 6160+ Crunch respectively for clarity.

Improved Downward Expander in Gate block when Detector Type is “Peak”.

Fixed wrong resistor value in Brit JVM models causing excessive blocking distortion.

Fixed using Astable LFO type in some effects causes noise.

Fixed switching between types in Chorus block can causes clicks.

Fixed wrong default Depth value for 5153 Red model (real amp has fixed depth resistor). Removed Depth controls from all 5153 Authentic GUI pages (except 5153 50W Blue for which the real amp does have a Depth control).

FC: Views for Layout Link will now be restored properly after reboot.

FC: When entering the Master Layout menu via the switch-combo, the FC-6 will now always go to View 1.

FC: Per-Preset labels will no longer be displayed for unassigned switches.

For a next FW release I have a wish:
I have an AXE-Fx III and a FC-6 with an expression pedal connected to the FC-6: In my setup I use an external delay effect. I would like to control the feedback amount of this delay with the expression pedal. As far as I know this is currently not possible. It would be very nice, if you could add a MIDI Block which has the ability to transmit Midi CC data from the expression pedal to control parameters of external effects.
Thanks in advance :)

I have an AXE-Fx III and a FC-6 with an expression pedal connected to the FC-6: In my setup I use an external delay effect. I would like to control the feedback amount of this delay with the expression pedal. As far as I know this is currently not possible. It would be very nice, if you could add a MIDI Block which has the ability to transmit Midi CC data from the expression pedal to control parameters of external effects.
I know you can do this if you use the delays in the AXE3. Is this a particular delay that is not modeled?

I know you can do this if you use the delays in the AXE3. Is this a particular delay that is not modeled?
Yes, of course I can use a modeled delay - but in general to control parameters of any external midi device, it would be nice to have this functionality. For switching purposes there are the CS-1 - CS-6 perfect for on/off actions, but continuous control with an expression pedal is not possible til now ...

I not sure why you would want to use an external delay effect over the quality internal ones in the III, unless it was Eventide, Lexicon or equivalent?
I've abandoned all my outboards, because I can duplicate them with the AXE FX III.

Reactions: jon
Would it make sense to put in a wish for VC to be added to the global menu like amp drive/verb etc? I play gigs with a band that tunes down a whole step for the singer and it would be great to just change one setting and all my guitars across all presets would be down a step.
You can do this by linking your pitch shifter blocks to a global block. You can then stick the VC's "shift" and "mix" knobs in the perform menu. Set mix to 0 or 100 to bypass or enable the VC.

Voila, one knob to change shift amount in all presets and a second to bypass/enable in all presets.

You can do this by linking your pitch shifter blocks to a global block. You can then stick the VC's "shift" and "mix" knobs in the perform menu. Set mix to 0 or 100 to bypass or enable the VC.

Voila, one knob to change shift amount in all presets and a second to bypass/enable in all presets.
That's pretty clever. I guess your user name is pretty appropriate 👍

Hi, just checked the JVM fix in the beta 12.08. Issue is less, or at least feels different, but still there.

Ok...with the downtime I figure I might as well try the beta (it is not my norm). I haven't read of too many, if any at all, issues with the beta. Anything I'm missing here? Also wonder what the hold up is.

So, I'm pretty sure this may be a preset issue and not a bug in the Firmware, but those of you using the @austinbuddy presets may be interested. (Disclaimer: I know it's a Beta and we are only supposed to run official releases with the preset packs, but if it is a real issue or firmware related and we get this on the radar, then that's great.) I'm wondering if anyone else was getting any dropout of sounds while running this beta? It almost sounds like a bad cable or guitar input jack (Sound cuts out for .1 to 2.0 secs) , although it isn't. Specifically, it seems to effect the Recto1 Orange Normal model and maybe others. You could test by pulling up the preset titled '2Chn DualRectifier v12', switching to Scene 2 and just playing for a few minutes. I'd love to post the preset but obviously I can't and wouldn't since it's a commercial preset. I tried 3 different guitars, different cables, wireless/wired, analog to my computer interface, Axe3 as computer interface, direct monitoring of Axe3 through headphone jack and all had the same results. Interestingly, I saved all blocks to the block library and recreated the preset from scratch, although with very simplified routing, and the issue did NOT appear in the new preset. Very strange, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Anyway, for anyone who uses the @austinbuddy presets or the Recto1 Orange models, if someone can confirm the issue on their rig, we may be able to get out in front of this instead of having an unpleasant surprise when the final 12.08 (or whatever) gets released. I was forced to revert to 12.07 due to the issues I was having. Thanks for checking it out....

Last edited:
So, I'm pretty sure this may be a preset issue and not a bug in the Firmware, but those of you using the @austinbuddy presets may be interested. (Disclaimer: I know it's a Beta and we are only supposed to run official releases with the preset packs, but if it is a real issue or firmware related and we get this on the radar, then that's great.) I'm wondering if anyone else was getting any dropout of sounds while running this beta? It almost sounds like a bad cable or guitar input jack (Sound cuts out for .1 to 2.0 secs) , although it isn't. Specifically, it seems to effect the Recto1 Orange Channel Normal and maybe others. You could test by pulling up the preset titled '2Chn DualRectifier v12', switching to Scene 2 and just playing for a few minutes. I'd love to post the preset but obviously I can't and wouldn't since it's a commercial preset. I tried 3 different guitars, different cables, wireless/wired, analog to my computer interface, Axe3 as computer interface, direct monitoring of Axe3 through headphone jack and all had the same results. Interestingly, I saved all blocks to the block library and recreated the preset from scratch, although with very simplified routing, and the issue did NOT appear in the new preset. Very strange, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Anyway, for anyone who uses the @austinbuddy presets or The Recto1 Orange models, if someone can confirm the issue on their rig, we may be able to get out in front of this instead of having an unpleasant surprise when the final 2.08 (or whatever) gets released. I was forced to revert to 2.07 due to the issues I was having. Thanks for checking it out....

I'll assume that's a typo and you meant 12.07, not 2.07

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom