Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like you're discussing feedback. Thought we were discussing virtual tuning up and down.

I am mentioning some thing are not possible with sofware like detuning individual strings OR vibrating strings in a way to create a natural sound
but yes it did go sideways
so back to tuning 1 string down

Reactions: yek
One thing I can say is Cliff and FA are constantly looking for every little thing that they can do to make their products better ! Many of the improvements they have made recently made things better that were already good to begin with, or implemented features that were not available in other products.

Without getting technical, there have been several ways that pitch shifting has been done in other products. Accuracy and responsiveness have trade-offs limited by the capabilities of the hardware and software.

Cliff understands what we as guitarists want and I am confident that he will come up with a solution that we will be happy with and in the future will probably make it even better !!

If by "drop d" you mean "the lowest string is tuned to a D and everything else is normal guitar tuning" -- then, no, it's not possible. Not with a standard guitar pickup. It's near impossible to know where a note is being played in order to do this. Take the lowest A on your guitar. In drop D that can be an open 2nd string or the 7th fret on your 1st string -- only one of those positions would warrant being shifted down a whole tone in drop D tuning. You need both pitch and string detection to do this well and with a standard pickup you have only pitch detection.
Stratocaster VG make this. I have one and work very well! 😀

And Fernandes system (feedback)!
It’s possible?
That uses a pitch detector and a physical driver -- it finds the dominant pitch and then alters the magnetic field the strings sit in, in real time, using the neck pickup forcing the strings to vibrate at specific frequencies.

That uses a pitch detector and a physical driver -- it finds the dominant pitch and then alters the magnetic field the strings sit in, in real time, using the neck pickup forcing the strings to vibrate at specific frequencies.

Understand! :)
Thank you for your explanation and patience with a layman on the subject!

It uses a hex pickup. You CANNOT do drop-D without a hex pickup.

I feel like Fractal getting into the development of pickups and guitar electronics (including hex systems) would be a logical next step, and would probably be revolutionary with your electronics knowledge and attention to detail, Cliff... A Fractal produced hex pickup and electronics package that could be installed in a guitar... preferably with an optional wireless system. And the pickup system and electronics package could provide bidirectional communication with the AXE.

Possible benefits:
High accuracy, minimal latency polyphonic pitch detection
Drop D tuning and other per string tuning alterations with ultra high quality and minimal latency
Pickup modeling like Variax
Piezo acoustic modeling like Ghost
MIDI output to Synth block for expanded guitar synth capabilities or out of AXE to other MIDI synth equipment
Dynamic impedance between pickups and first effect / input in AXE chain... for better capturing fuzz and other effects

If you announced a $400-$600 Fractal hex pickup and electronics / wireless package that could be installed in guitars and had tight integration with AXE, I would order a couple for my guitars.

If I'm up an octave and bend the notes I get that fluctuation kind of sound. I can smooth it out but I don't get as good of tracking as my pedal.

Record and post the same lick (or better a DI'd track) with both the AF3 and Whammy II so FAS has something to go on.

I feel like Fractal getting into the development of pickups and guitar electronics (including hex systems) would be a logical next step, and would probably be revolutionary with your electronics knowledge and attention to detail, Cliff... A Fractal produced hex pickup and electronics package that could be installed in a guitar... preferably with an optional wireless system. And the pickup system and electronics package could provide bidirectional communication with the AXE.

Possible benefits:
High accuracy, minimal latency polyphonic pitch detection
Drop D tuning and other per string tuning alterations with ultra high quality and minimal latency
Pickup modeling like Variax
Piezo acoustic modeling like Ghost
MIDI output to Synth block for expanded guitar synth capabilities or out of AXE to other MIDI synth equipment
Dynamic impedance between pickups and first effect / input in AXE chain... for better capturing fuzz and other effects

If you announced a $400-$600 Fractal hex pickup and electronics / wireless package that could be installed in guitars and had tight integration with AXE, I would order a couple for my guitars.
If you really want this Roland offers it in a lot of their products. My GR55 which is at least 6 years old has great pitch detection and allows for quick alternative tunings and some guitar modeling etc. via the midi pickup. The SY1000 looks great (but I have yet to try it). The VG99 (I think it was called) offers all sorts of pickup types and placements if you really want that sort of thing. Not to say FAS can’t do it but it is a little like buying a Ferrari and then wanting to use it as a CAT dozer.

[
If you really want this Roland offers it in a lot of their products. My GR55 which is at least 6 years old has great pitch detection and allows for quick alternative tunings and some guitar modeling etc. via the midi pickup. The SY1000 looks great (but I have yet to try it). The VG99 (I think it was called) offers all sorts of pickup types and placements if you really want that sort of thing. Not to say FAS can’t do it but it is a little like buying a Ferrari and then wanting to use it as a CAT dozer.
I kinda disagree...the ease fractal has provided in unifying the “guitar system” under one umbrella helps me make music and greatly simplify workflow. New features like pitch to midi detection would be done by the best engineering operation going and would further integrate and benefit the guitarist. I see this as a natural extension... IMHO
(having said all that pitch to midi detection in the box is what I would like to see rather than new pickups...so maybe we agree? :) )

Using the pitch block as a whammy, its not as smooth as my Whammy II pedal. If I'm up an octave and bend the notes I get that fluctuation kind of sound. I can smooth it out but I don't get as good of tracking as my pedal. Its not really bad but will it be better with the new update?

I have this question, as well. Will the pitch block improvements help out the whammy block at all? I have had several Digitech systems (2112/2120) that seemed to do this very well. Even though Digitech was a pioneer in this area, even my TC Electronics G-Major 2 seemed better than the Axe3 at this ( but only this). The current iteration of the whammy seems a bit warbley and shrill at times. The only real wish I’ve had for the Axe 3 has been in the pitch block and the whammy type especially. Everything else is better than I could have hoped for and getting even better with each release. Maybe @FractalAudio or someone else in the know could share if there is anything in the pipeline that might help in this area?

My main use for the VC would be to use it with an acoustic to simulate a capo at the 1st, 2nd or 3rd frets.

I used the VC at a worship gig over the weekend (minimal band only, distancing rules, for broadcast) and did three songs on electric using this beta firmware. Three presets, and two of them shifted using VC (+2 and +3). I have done +5 previously. Sounded great. I also have an ambient -3 preset I want to use at a certain point in the service, but my wife says it sounds kinda scary.

I just got an FM3 primarily for the worship gig, and am struggling a bit to transition those worship presets (heavy reverbs and delays, plus the pitch shifting) from AF3 to FM3, so hoping the improvements don’t significantly increase cpu usage (probably wishful thinking, I know). Either way, thanks for the constant product improvements!

I have this question, as well. Will the pitch block improvements help out the whammy block at all? I have had several Digitech systems (2112/2120) that seemed to do this very well. Even though Digitech was a pioneer in this area, even my TC Electronics G-Major 2 seemed better than the Axe3 at this ( but only this). The current iteration of the whammy seems a bit warbley and shrill at times. The only real wish I’ve had for the Axe 3 has been in the pitch block and the whammy type especially. Everything else is better than I could have hoped for and getting even better with each release. Maybe @FractalAudio or someone else in the know could share if there is anything in the pipeline that might help in this area?

i recommend re reading the last few pages in this thread :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom