Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.02

Hmm.. maybe it did nothing but I'm pretty sure it was there in axe-edit (even on the axe II and ax8)
I'm positive the spring reverb had the ultra quality param too - it was on FW12 and the Axe Edit version prior to the one released today. I don't think the 'boing' at the end of the verb sounds better now too - it was so realistic with the quality param I smiled and smiled. Might roll back to 12 and previous Axe Edit to find out.

Post a preset and I'll take a look.
Okay, here you go Cliff. It looks like it has to do with 'PC Reset'. If I turn it OFF, all works as intended.
  1. Four Volume/Pan blocks with the their 'Volume' parameters attached to Scene controllers 1 thru 4
  2. Block 1/Scene Controller 1, Block 2/Scene Controller 2, etc.... To check all four Scene Controller
  3. Two of the blocks set to go from '0' to'10'
  4. The other two set to '10' to '0'
  5. Scene 1, all four Scene controllers at 0%
  6. Scene 2, all four Scene controllers at 50%
  7. Scene 3, all four Scene controllers at 100%
Just click through the scenes and watch the 'Volume' parameters. Happens on the Hardware as well as the Editor.

Attachments

• 12.02 Scene Controllers test 1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm positive the spring reverb had the ultra quality param too - it was on FW12 and the Axe Edit version prior to the one released today. I don't think the 'boing' at the end of the verb sounds better now too - it was so realistic with the quality param I smiled and smiled. Might roll back to 12 and previous Axe Edit to find out.
There was never a high quality mode for the Spring Reverb. If it was in Axe-Edit it was there by mistake and wasn't doing anything.

Found something else while working on a clients custom preset that I couldn't make do what I wanted/expected, and wanted to see if it was a 12.02 bug, an oversight, or just simply never intended?

Auto Engage will activate and bypass a block as the (External) controller passes the 'Off Value' threshold. But not with any of the 'Internal' controllers?

I wanted a block to activate as a 'Scene Controller' slowly (1500 ms 'Attack' and 'Release') passes the 'Off Value' threshold of 5%... Which works as expected.

However, when going the other way, the block bypasses immediately, even though the control hasn't pass the 'Off Value' threshold?

Is this possible to add? Would be really cool to be able to turn On and OFF, or fade IN and OUT effects with a preset timing when using a Scene Controller or Control Switch.

Last edited:
I wanted a block to activate as a 'Scene Controller' slowly (1500 ms 'Attack' and 'Release') passes the 'Off Value' threshold of 5%... Which works as expected.

However, when going the other way, the block bypasses immediately, even though the control hasn't pass the 'Off Value' threshold?

Is this possible to add? Would be really cool to be able to turn On and OFF, or fade IN and OUT effects with a preset timing when using a Scene Controller or Control Switch.
Couldn't you attach the scene controller to the mix knob on the FX you want to bypass? Instead of bypassing, just turn mix to zero.

However, when going the other way, the block bypasses immediately

Auto-engage is based on the actual source value, not the damped modifier dot position. So in this case the scene controller goes to 0 instantly, block bypasses after the usual delay determined by slow/med/fast selection.

For now you could get the same result using a bypass modifier with similar damping, or possibly control mix as mentioned above.

Couldn't you attach the scene controller to the mix knob on the FX you want to bypass? Instead of bypassing, just turn mix to zero.
Auto-engage is based on the actual source value, not the damped modifier dot position. So in this case the scene controller goes to 0 instantly, block bypasses after the usual delay determined by slow/med/fast selection.

For now you could get the same result using a bypass modifier with similar damping, or possibly control mix as mentioned above.
Yeah, I get it. It just didn't respond like I had expected. I was hoping that it would use the position of the attached parameter for the Auto Engage. I wanted an 'Auto-Wah' to turn off via scenes, but not till it finished it's sweep, and the Wah block (still) doesn't have a 'Mix' parameter. I can be done with some extra blocks and steps, so no biggie. It's just more complex and makes it tougher for me to explain and for the client to edit if wanted.

Reducing wah resonance (Q) is very much like mixing in dry signal.

I don't think that will make the EQ completely flat, which is probably preferred. Either way, extra blocks aren't needed--just assign the same SC to wah bypass with similar damping. (Attack time can stay low; just turn up release time to match downward sweep duration.)

Thanks Cliff!

I just tried putting a gate block after the amp and cab with the downward expander setting with the side chain assigned to input 1 and it really works great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom