Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything nice and well over here in a gradually enlightening Sweden (yes, it's dark as hell during winters) regarding the new beta FW. I mainly roll with the Recto 1 Red and Mark IV nowadays as I'm currently writing new songs and it sounds so killer into a couple of different OH Mesa Cabs. Oh lord. What a friggin' time to be a guitarist these days!

Not the same: This a beta - the developer is asking beta testers to call out (tho politely and with detailed evidence) anything that looks or sounds off
Correct but having too much bass or a high master volume has been mentioned as not bugs and people should expect changes to things like gain levels and eq
Now if someone had garbled distortion or all amps sound like a fuzz or there is feedback on every patch then that is valid , but when the designer is stating that this will quite possibly change the sound of existing presets I don’t think it wrong to assume you may have to try and make some adjustments

I have been playing 1987x amplifiers for over 30 years. What can I rate?
But like I said, I'll check again. There are always other sources of error. No, not the cable ;)
Always this arrogance... So please, I was on the west and east coasts for many weeks and only met nice Americans. Let's be professional. When I find the time I will check it out. Thank you!

Last edited:
IIRC Cliff has pointed out there are some amp models that are unstable with certain SICs, particularly those with large low resonance peaks. This is due to the actual circuit design combined with a low freq resonance (that is the actual amp might freak out or blow up), thus not a bug. I don't recall which models but a forum search should reveal such.

You're right that some frequencies resonate in a nonmusical way with some SIC and amp pairings, but they should still never peg all the LEDs and cause the unit to becomes unresponsive.

@MirrorProfiles Could you maybe post an example of the real world example of this combo so Cliff can compare and see if, other than than the unit freaking out, if there's any error in his calculations? That is, if the same combo that's now causing the unit to become unresponsive is also the same combo that used to cause nonmusical frequencies.

I've played 1987x amps for over 30 years, what will I be able to rate?
But like I said, I'll check again. There are always other sources of error. No, not the cable ;)
Always this arrogance ... So please, I was on the West and East Coast for many weeks and only met nice Americans.
Let's be professional. If I find the time I will check it.
I am truly sorry if I have offended you , I only make suggestions to perhaps help
There is no intended arrogance or posturing here I am 🇨🇦 , we are known to be completely non confrontational.
So my apologies if you believe that there could be an issue w that model I am sure FAS will see your post

Thank you. I'm sure the canadians are great too. The bass and gain was extrem yesterday late evening and I was not able to manage it, but with the 100W plexis I had no issue. I will check it. It was already late, like every evening. Kids ...

You're right that some frequencies resonate in a nonmusical way with some SIC and amp pairings, but they should still never peg all the LEDs and cause the unit to becomes unresponsive.

@MirrorProfiles Could you maybe post an example of the real world example of this combo so Cliff can compare and see if, other than than the unit freaking out, if there's any error in his calculations? That is, if the same combo that's now causing the unit to become unresponsive is also the same combo that used to cause nonmusical frequencies.
Yeah, just to be clear the crash has nothing to do with the SIC resonating, there was just a crash when I changed SIC’s and the meters stayed lit up.

But yeah, I’m curious to try my Uber with my Mesa cabs, I have 4 different Mesa 4x12’s so will be interesting to see if any hum like the model does. Not sure what version Cliffs is aside from an early one, but it generally sounds very close to my Rev Green. But this is a different thing to the crash bug above, just to be clear.

Well, Kids in bed, test repeated, refer to attachment (Scene 1 - 3).

It's just the question, is the 1987x more realistic with FW25. Same settings like in past but compared to the 1959SLP (Scene 1) the 1987x (Scene2) requires Master volume 8.50 (not 10) and Presence 5! (not 2) and sounds great. I think that's realistic for the Master Volume but not for Presence. Just check Scene 3 with Master Volume 10 and Presence 2, it's too crazy in comparision to 1959SLP (Scene 1), just try single notes for solos. With Scene 3 I don't like the settings/reaction of the 1987x anymore, that's not what I have in mind after 30 years of using. For the 100W plexis it looks great. But here is something not 100% correct from my point of view.

Attachments

• Test 1959SLP and 1987x FW25b.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

It's just the question, is the 1987x more realistic with FW25. Same settings like in past but compared to the 1959SLP (Scene 1) the 1987x (Scene2) requires Master volume 8.50 (not 10) and Presence 5! (not 2) and sounds great. I think that's realistic for the Master Volume but not for Presence. Just check Scene 3 with Master Volume 10 and Presence 2, too crazy im comparision to a 1959SLP, just try single notes. I don't like the settings/reaction of the 1987x anymore, that's not what I have in mind after 30 years of using. For the 100W plexis it looks great.
The 1987X model is based on a reissue 1987. It doesn't have a bright cap. Use one of the Plexi 50W models for the vintage sound of a 1987.

It's just the question, is the 1987x more realistic with FW25. Same settings like in past but compared to the 1959SLP (Scene 1) the 1987x (Scene2) requires Master volume 8.50 (not 10) and Presence 5! (not 2) and sounds great. I think that's realistic for the Master Volume but not for Presence. Just check Scene 3 with Master Volume 10 and Presence 2, too crazy im comparision to a 1959SLP, just try single notes. I don't like the settings/reaction of the 1987x anymore, that's not what I have in mind after 30 years of using. For the 100W plexis it looks great.
I think Fractal Audio’s 1987x model is without a bright cap on volume 1.
Stock from factory 1987x has a bright cap on volume 1 and are therefore brighter in general than the AxeFx model. This might explain why you have to turn up presence (brightness). Have you tried engaging the bright knob in the model?

Edit: Fractal Audio beat me to it.

I think Fractal Audio’s 1987x model is without a bright cap on volume 1.
Stock from factory 1987x has a bright cap on volume 1 and are therefore brighter in general than the AxeFx model. This might explain why you have to turn up presence (brightness). Have you tried engaging the bright knob in the model?

Edit: Fractal Audio beat me to it.
Yes, Bright Cap/Switch is a must for AC/DC ;)
Like I wrote I increased the presence from 2 to 5 in FW25b. In FW24.05. that was not necessary, 2 was enough.
I compare the same amps like in this preset before always with Bright Switch On. Refer to attachment with FW24.05, Scene 4 (1987x) and 6 (1959SLP)

Attachments

• v0.6 ACDC Angus I Dyna TRD FB.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Attachments

• 100_5407.JPG
    100_5407.JPG
    718.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_5467.JPG
    100_5467.JPG
    722.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_5468.JPG