Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of my presets are for jazz, and I strive for an ultra-clean and clear sound that delineates inner voices of chords. 1st impression - tighter bass and more overall transparency. Maybe a tad more tmie coherence / less phase shift? Thanks!

exciting! what i normally do when there's a significant change to the modelling, is copy the amp i'm using into the B channel of the amp block and then reset the A channel. i then have a copy in the B channel i can refer to when tweaking the A channel. useless if you're using all the channels, of course in which case make a copy of the whole preset. also recording your presets (if you don't have too many) can help as a reference for tone and level.
Or use the other Amp block of you aren't using it...

Something wrong in your audio setup. Something is putting a brick-wall filter at 20kHz. Inexpensive audio interfaces will often do this on digital inputs.
Focusrite Saffire, it's a great interface, I don't see such filtering with any other 48khz spdif source, the brickwall filter is in the Amp block.
My grasph has 3dB per Y diviation and less range, so it's exactly like your reading with -3dB at 18kHz.
All's good, no complaints, but I do wonder why not push the brickwall filter outside the audible band, say 22-24kHz?

I'm officially off of the bleeding edge beta update train. It's so nice having the III and the FM9 firmware versions "harmonized".

That said, I'm really glad I have something to look forward to.....eventually.
I'm in the same boat...I finally have both FM9/AF3 units "sync'd" perfectly and am hesitant to go through all of that again. Extremely satisfied with what I have at the moment!! I've been spending more time tweaking and adjusting than playing, which is never a good thing. The beauty in these units is the fact all is great at the moment, we aren't forced to update, and when the time comes to update and check out the new firmwares, we have the option to do so.

It's been said perfectly many times before...my amps (Mesa, EVH, Soldano) don't get updates and are still on their original designs and still sound great. So if we (as users) find a firmware or setting that sounds great, there's no steadfast rule that the Fractal units have to be updated. A great time to be a musician with so many options to us all!!

Did another quick demo using my main high gain preset with YA IR's. I copied it to another slot, renamed fw25, soft reset and input all the fw24 settings and recorded this riff. Some may recognize it.

Now to do the same for the other channels of that block lol

25 sounds a little more "alive" in the upper mids. Almost sounds a little"wider"

Come across an oddity that is new to me and not heard previously.

If you change the alignment values in either cab block by a minimum of 1mm, then the tone changes dramatically. So what should be a reasonably snarly dirty sound here transforms into a muffled sound.

I understand that the alignment is there to smooth the sound but not alter it's tonal characteristics.

Attachments

• Basic with WDW.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/25p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_25p00_beta2.zip

WARNING: THIS FIRMWARE REPRESENTS AN UPDATE TO THE CORE ALGORITHMS AND MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED FOR THIS POSSIBILITY THEN IT IS ADVISED TO NOT INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE. IF YOU DO INSTALL THIS FIRMWARE AND IT CHANGES THE SOUND OF YOUR PRESETS AND YOU COME INTO THIS THREAD AND COMPLAIN THAT YOUR PRESETS SOUND DIFFERENT BE PREPARED FOR SHAME AND RIDICULE.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-3” amp modeling:
  • Improved preamp algorithms.
  • Improved power amp algorithms.
  • Improved output transformer loss modeling.
  • Improved preamp supply voltage modeling.
  • Nearly all amp models have been “remastered” as a result of new measurement techniques and analytical methods.
Updated Power Tube Grid Bias (or Cathode Resistance, as applicable) default value for most amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Supply Sag default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Updated Cathode Follower default values for many amp models. Existing presets are NOT altered. A soft or hard reset will load the updated value.

Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb Vibrato, Double Verb Vibrato, Super Verb Vibrato and all Vibrato Verb models.

Fixed wrong FX loop recovery gain in Suhr Badger models.

Added “Sunrise Splendor” Drive model. Existing model renamed “Sunrise Splendor Hi-Cut” to denote that the Hi-Cut switch is engaged.
I prefer to wait until the general release, but can I get some of that shame and ridicule while it's on sale?

If you change the alignment values in either cab block by a minimum of 1mm, then the tone changes dramatically. So what should be a reasonably snarly dirty sound here transforms into a muffled sound.

I understand that the alignment is there to smooth the sound but not alter it's tonal characteristics.
Alignment introduces phasing which can alter the tone for the better or the worse depending on various factors...

this is exactly what happens with real mics. the tone changes dramatically.

"Shame and ridicule..." LOVE it ! Hahahaha ! ( and he's talking about the major core updates, not just the small incremental updates )

But seriously, the feel is much more immediate, spongier, and my HBE reacts the way a cranked amp would, with palm mutes and pinched harmonics...

It is most likely going to change your presets, so make copies of your presets and soft reset the copies... compare, adapt, adjust, and overcome, or revert to the firmware of your choice...
Can someone advise a relative noob what a 'soft reset' is? Thanks

I used Fractool. Amp resetter and chose what i wanted to keep. It worked well.
I tried two ways:
1) Reset Amp Blocks and copy every missing setting via screeshots. I didn't liked the sound without all deep parameters copied e.g. Cathode Follower, Grid Bias, Sag.
2) Easier: Amp resetter with all parameter checked (everthing shall be untouched).
I don't hear any difference between both. I just want to change parameters which are not visible to users.

Is concept 2) a good idea - does the amp resetter really just provided parameters which are visible in the Axe Edit III or also unvisible ones?

I want this dirty non straight sound like real amps have of FW25

Hi,
No not yet, because as Austin buddy said, when you do that, you have to redo everything.
But yeah I will redo all the amp blocks from scratch with this update, that’s life.

Also thanks to fractal to confirm my feeling in high gain. I will surely find a way to reduce that with your tips and all the others tools

And probably thinking of abandoning fm3 compatibility
Understood. The proper major update procedure for hundreds of presets is one grueling, labor intensive endeavor. :eek:

Focusrite Saffire, it's a great interface, I don't see such filtering with any other 48khz spdif source, the brickwall filter is in the Amp block.
My grasph has 3dB per Y diviation and less range, so it's exactly like your reading with -3dB at 18kHz.
All's good, no complaints, but I do wonder why not push the brickwall filter outside the audible band, say 22-24kHz?
Filters have a finite transition band. The first zero is at 24kHz. There are many good books and articles on the design of bandstop digital filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom