Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta (Cygnus X-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a preset and do a "Clear Preset" from the preset menu, then add an amp block to the grid. When I do that, the amp block still has the parameter values that were previously used in that preset. I find this all very confusing, but I don't think there's any way to get default parameter values by simply adding an amp block to the grid.
Did you do the tests to figure out if it gets the values from that preset, vs last ones edited, possibly on a different preset?

Here's what I did....My main preset has two amps, so with channels, that's eight models. Made a copy of the preset, and reset all eight channels. Then made screen grabs of the new Power Tube Grid Bias, Supply Sag, and Cathode Follower parameters for each model, and inserted those into my old preset.......done and sounds great. All my other settings are unchanged.

I usually create a fresh preset for new FW… I always assumed that would get the latest defaults. Are we saying this is not the case?

I think people are really making this harder than it is:

1. If you create a preset from a blank preset and don't use blocks library for the amp block- you will have the latest settings
2. If you create a preset from another one, or from a blank preset (but use a blocks library for the amp block), you will not have the latest settings
3. If you do a soft-reset (i.e. change the amp model and then change it back, or use the Axe-Edit 'reset amp' facility) - you will have the latest settings

I've done number 3 on all my presets (saving to a new preset) and the difference is considerable, but worth it

Strictly speaking, I'm not sure there's any such thing as a blank or new preset.
This is the TOTAL preset reset routine:
  1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
  2. Power on holding HOME until the boot-up progress bar first appears.
  3. The Axe-Fx III will boot with an empty initialized preset in location “000”. You can STORE this to any other location.

I think people are really making this harder than it is:

1. If you create a preset from a blank preset and don't use blocks library for the amp block- you will have the latest settings
2. If you create a preset from another one, or from a blank preset (but use a blocks library for the amp block), you will not have the latest settings
3. If you do a soft-reset (i.e. change the amp model and then change it back, or use the Axe-Edit 'reset amp' facility) - you will have the latest settings

I've done number 3 on all my presets (saving to a new preset) and the difference is considerable, but worth it
I thought I understood all this until I read through the last few pages. @peteri ‘s post above has been my understanding on this topic. I’m waiting to see where he/I are mistaken.

Did anyone reply to this? Wondering the same. I don't trust my ears and would hate to find out I missed everything by uploading the firmware, making a new preset, and thinking I was good but missing a step...

Based on the variety of replies received, I guess my question wasn't as dumb as I thought it might be!

Still confused about the process -- especially after the last few posts suggesting even new/unused preset slots might retain old info -- so maybe I was the dumb part of the question all along...

Based on the variety of replies received, I guess my question wasn't as dumb as I thought it might be!

Still confused about the process -- especially after the last few posts suggesting even new/unused preset slots might retain old info -- so maybe I was the dumb part of the question all along...

I think the confusion is about the distinction between new or existing presets. Except for rare circumstances, all presets are existing presets, so a reset is almost always needed, even when starting an edit session with an empty grid.

However, when working with an empty grid, the first thing you’ll probably do after adding an amp block is select an amp type. At that point you’ll get the new parameter values since that effectively does a reset.

To me, it should be an AxeEdit user option to reset blocks when they're inserted. An option because some might prefer the actual behavior
^This

Given the fact this debate has gone on several pages with Fractal experts included, it seems like a WISH for a more granular and streamlined approach is necessary.
When there are so many advanced parameters that can vary, it would be nice to know all of the details.

1) when adding a block, maybe get a popup stating that you are running a new fw code and inquire whether you would like to reset to add the new functionality
2) right click on the amp block and have the capability of seeing which fw code the block is currently using
3) perhaps an option that states that you last created 'x' amp block using a certain amp, would you like to use that again?
4) a conversion utility that could take your block library and re-map them to the new parameters.

Last edited:
To me, it should be an AxeEdit user option to reset blocks when they're inserted. An option because some might prefer the actual behavior

There are so many ways though, that a user can put amp parameters into the grid. Inserting an amp block is one way, but you can also load from the block library, copy/paste blocks, import .syx file, duplicate an existing preset, load snapshots, etc.

This problem is inherent in the way there is overlap between advanced parameters that users can tweak and parameters that are also used by FAS to tweak the amp models. It's hard to see how these modeling refinements can be completely pushed out to the average user who isn't aware of the subtleties here.

In the Axe-FX IV it might be helpful to have a sharper distinction between advanced parameters the user can tweak and parameters embedded in the firmware that FAS can tweak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom