Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta #2 (Cygnus X-3 Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like coming in here and sounding entitled, but... any chance we'll get the final release before the aliens abduct us later this afternoon?

kidding, don't kill me
I know that as soon as we have the final release, we will be asking when we will have the next beta with new improvements or surprises :sweatsmile:

I give my humble opinion on the matter, where I also agree 100% with Cliff that what we think is not relevant to setting the course for improvements when these are subjective.

The thing is, precisely what each person understands as "IDEAL" is totally subjective. Even more so when we are talking about tastes about sounds and how they affect different musical genres. On the other hand, there is no subjectivity in moving towards greater modeling fidelity.

Additionally, engaging in the "Idealization" of all amplifier models would only lead to them all sounding similar, to the detriment of the diversity of tones provided by the different characteristics and circuits that each of the real equipment has.

We can measure the precision of the modeling compared to the real thing (or at least there are tools to do so). We will never be able to measure the approach to the ideal when there are different ideals for each person in the world.

I give my humble opinion on the matter, where I also agree 100% with Cliff that what we think is not relevant to setting the course for improvements when these are subjective.

The thing is, precisely what each person understands as "IDEAL" is totally subjective. Even more so when we are talking about tastes about sounds and how they affect different musical genres. On the other hand, there is no subjectivity in moving towards greater modeling fidelity.

Additionally, engaging in the "Idealization" of all amplifier models would only lead to them all sounding similar, to the detriment of the diversity of tones provided by the different characteristics and circuits that each of the real equipment has.

We can measure the precision of the modeling compared to the real thing (or at least there are tools to do so). We will never be able to measure the approach to the ideal when there are different ideals for each person in the world.
+1 - I couldn't agree more.

Here how it ends when you have changed the gate in 230 presets today , with the Marshall jubilee

Oh my God. Impressive performance!!!
I loved moments like minute 0:21 masturbatory movements :sweatsmile: and the one at minute 1:36 with the strange and original hair technique :tearsofjoy: plus the genius of minute 4:00 or the "lubricated" slide of the W40 at minute 5... :laughing: I guess This is what we talk about when we talk about how inspiring this firmware is

The thing is, precisely what each person understands as "IDEAL" is totally subjective.
We will never be able to measure the approach to the ideal when there are different ideals for each person in the world.
Totally agree. What is IDEAL (or idealized) in tube amp modeling, and who decides?

'Idealized' electronic components and values? 'Ideal' tubes (real tubes or some theoretical ideal?)? 'Idealized' overall amp circuit design (for X model)? 'Idealized' tone stack/preamp/PA/PS/... design? 'Ideal' speaker-cab interaction? 'Ideal' breakup / harmonic distortion (w or w/o ghost notes?)? 'Ideal' kerang/juiciness/bounce/feel...? ....

Mostly we're chasing fantasies or cherry-picking particular aspects we particularly like (or want more of). One person's ideal is another's "eww, really?".

With preamp based hi gain amps you want to keep the power section as clean as possible and not be pushing it into saturation
Certain tubes like KT88 6L6 will generally have a bit more headroom that’s why many builders choose these ,but something like an EL34 can be come saturated and start to break up and Color the sound pretty easily , and then you can get that loose blurry bottom end response or Flub
Since we are in the virtual realm it much easier to push the power section

Agree with your comments. Experimenting with different tubes is always worth the small effort it takes to swap them out in the AFX and see their effect.

Just yesterday afternoon I was looking for "something" in my lead tone and I spent a few minutes swapping out the preamp and power amp tubes for the "Friedman HBE v2" amp on my FM9.

I ended up swapping out the default preamps and poweramp tubes. I can't remember off the top of my head which preamp tube I settled on but found that the tubes with "Preamp Tube Hardness" values >8 worked for me; better clarity, etc.

For the power tubes I changed out the default "EL34" variant for the "6V6GT GE", and the KT66/88 variants were all a close second; for a lead tone I definetely liked the "EL34/84" tubes considerably less.

Combined, both of these swaps have helped indeed; my lead tone is fatter in the mids, less strident with a nicer high end, and has a bit more clarity/forwardness overall. The low end also seems to be more "controlled"....less flub and the looseness is reduced I'm finding.

Last edited:
Because yes. I realize a little bit late that the « improved gate » make my old gate setting eat the tone a little bit. So check your gate guys 🙇🏻
This information is very interesting!!
Any key tips on which parameter you recommend adjusting and in what range of values to recommend for those of us who have not dabbled or do not know much about the best way to operate this block, beyond the basic guide that the manual gives us?

This information is very interesting!!
Any key tips on which parameter you recommend adjusting and in what range of values to recommend for those of us who have not dabbled or do not know much about the best way to operate this block, beyond the basic guide that the manual gives us?
If you don’t want to bored yourself too much, use the easy mode, and turn the first knob until you have no noise and it is done .

I am hoping the analog delays will be revisited at some point with the new measurements I have yet to find a digital emulation that can do a proper Deluxe Memory Man. I still use a DMM 1100 tap tempo in my loop because it adds some sort of thickening and analog warmth that the digital models don't, and I have tried quite a few digital emulations of it with different pedals and modelers. Maybe it is all in my head but man does it seem to improve my tone when I turn it on even with the mix turned low.
This to me reads like you need to play with the eq’s in the delay blocks. Reduce max high frequency and there’s the warmth, generally speaking.

I used high and low cuts on verb and delay in my fx8 which our produced noticed at a show, and he was pretty impressed. Gotta know where to look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom