Axe-Fx III Firmware 25.00 Public Beta #2 (Cygnus X-3 Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bug?

I just noticed that the "Neon Trem" only works in mono. Adjusting the LFO phase has no effect between the left and right channels like all other tremolo types.
I know the tremolo block wasn't touched in this update, but it probably wasn't noticed until now.

I installed the update yesterday, it's absolutely amazing, good feedback from the amp and speakerIR to your own playing style, finest details and realistic representation of your own and factory presets, thanks to CX3 and the new basic parameters.

This update SLAYS. Just came from FW 24.05. Busted out my 80's reissue explorer. Loaded my "Kill em' all" preset (JcM 800 mod with a rat pedal) and DAAYUM. I'm no algorithm expert but I "hear" colors and spices and I am a knob tweaker and audiophile (pun intended) Much more scratchy & pronounced "attack" (which is what one goes for with kill em all tones) chugs and gallops are more "angry" and organic/ percussive. More "thud" in the lows without sounding congested. If I can correlate what Cliff did with seasonings/ spices...he added more crush, spank, spark, and soul😎💪 I almost had to remove my brains from the wall when chug/galloping the 4 horsemen. A few tweaks and you can even get into Gary Holt/ Wicked era Zakk Wylde territory too. Loving it guys!!

Without wanting to reopen the whole "hole" discussion... I wanted to offer my perspective as a new guy/outsider:

I assume Al's been around long enough and has done enough for the community that Cliff and Al kinda sorta know each other, at least in a forumy kind of way, and that it was all mostly in jest.

I even thought it was funny and that it would become an insider joke/idiom around here. :)

^^^ it seems the save light doesn't turn on, which is fine because it will keep updating it on load until you save.

FWIW, in past firmware updates which automatically changed parameters, the light would come on. I recall some confusion about that, with people wondering why that light is on even though they haven't touched any parameters. However, IMHO the light should come on, on the principle that you shouldn't alter the preset behind the scenes without notifying the user (Although maybe there's a better way to notify the user the preset has been altered than the save light). Anyway I would consider this a pretty minor issue.

FWIW, in past firmware updates which automatically changed parameters, the light would come on. I recall some confusion about that, with people wondering why that light is on even though they haven't touched any parameters. However, IMHO the light should come on, on the principle that you shouldn't alter the preset behind the scenes without notifying the user (Although maybe there's a better way to notify the user the preset has been altered than the save light). Anyway I would consider this a pretty minor issue.
Is this happening on both hardware and Axe Edit? If only on Axe Edit, then not FW related, correct? Or would the FW dictate to Editor when light comes on? I don't know, but you might, so just asking.

Reactions: RDH
a simple nut reset should resolve the issue
Will the nut reset reset all the nuts in the entire world?

That would be quite some tech coming from FAS. I'd even buy an FAS "Nut Resetter" pedal, even if it means I get reset by me or anyone else stomping on it, cause lord knows we all go nutty at one time or another (some even make it their schtick). At least a "Nut Resetter" Drive model? Anyone got a design?

Last edited:
However, IMHO the light should come on, on the principle that you shouldn't alter the preset behind the scenes without notifying the user (Although maybe there's a better way to notify the user the preset has been altered than the save light). Anyway I would consider this a pretty minor issue.
That's something that was drummed into my head back when I was developing; The user needs to know their "data" is being protected and not modified behind their back. It's something we do to help them feel in control of their system. It is somewhat philosophical and the programmer's choice.

I also agree that it's a pretty minor issue.

Presets contain the firmware version they were last updated with. My suspicion (and @FractalAudio will correct me if I'm wrong here) is that a preset with a firmware version equal to 25.00 won't have the parameters updated. Only presets with version lower than 25.00. And once you save an auto-adjusted preset, the firmware version associated with it will be 25.00 and the auto-update will no longer apply on preset load.

If you change any of the values in the list of updated parameters and save the preset, the firmware won't undo those changes because the firmware version associated with the preset will be 25.00.

This is the post that has me confused. Not picking on you @iaresee (it's not you, it's me :tonguewink:)

I currently have 25p00_beta2 installed and I left my parameters the same (I liked the tone). The firmware is equal to 25.00 right? I read this two ways:
1. The parameters listed will not be affected because I'm coming from a 25.00 FW
2. The parameters listed will not be affected ONLY if I changed them while the 25.00 (beta2) was installed and I saved the preset.

If #2 is true. Could I save my presets that I don't want to be affected in the beta 2 version before upgrading to this one? Or do I need to specifically set the value on each of the parameters in order for them to save? Nudge them in order for it to register?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the time to snap shot each page or move on with my life and tweak what's there until my ears say 'good'.

Hardly ever install a beta, usually wait for the official stable release but had to try this out. Man, glad I did. Really loving it. Low end sounds incredible to me, tight and organic, improved feel, and the distortion sounds more complex and shimmery. Fantastic.

Also really love that the list of effected model parameters are auto updated upon preset recall so that I don't have to do an amp reset. Saves me huge amounts of time and headache. Well done Cliff!

@FractalAudio I am trying to troubleshoot an issue and wanted your insight. Do you see any possible bugs arising from creating a preset with a template created in an older Firmware revision? Should we be updating our templates?

I will give you a workflow example.. you create a new preset from a template that you had built 3-4 firmware revisions ago. You modify some of the blocks to your liking but you leave other blocks untouched as they were in the template, some of those untouched blocks may be active or bypassed. Do you foresee any gremlins arising ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom