Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.03 Release

Sure. It's just an amp block, so you'll need to add a cab and any other goodies you want to play with. I used YA MRSH 412 MV30a Mix 01 for the IR in my clip.
I already owned that cab pack and so based on your comments above I have been sampling cabs with Brit Silver. Thank you so much for weighing in here...I think this cab may have replaced my DynaCab and I'm pretty sure you've helped me create my new main amp/cab combination!!!

Last edited:
Happy new year to all.

Found something.
Created preset 505 for the fantastic new Brit Silver.
As I normally do, I went to add it to my "favorites layout" in axe-edit fc edit. The preset doesn't show the name in the FC edit popup.
version 24.03 and axe-edit version 1.13.11. The preset was in fact saved.

As a sidenote, it did appear after I closed and re-opened Axe-edit. Regardless, it should have been there without the restart.

see the action here:

After saving a new preset or renaming one you need to refresh the presets using the refresh icon in Manage Presets...

It was there after restarting the editor because presets are rescanned on startup.

After saving a new preset or renaming one you need to refresh the presets using the refresh icon in Manage Presets...

It was there after restarting the editor because presets are rescanned on startup.
Incorrect. I did a scan presets "refresh after upgrade" before closing the program and it didn't help. Fc edit should already be updating its table after the preset is saved.

Is there a general consensus that guys who own/have owned a real Silver Jubilee think that the "Brit Silver" model is not accurate?
Also, if you are in that camp, do you believe that it is because there is no adjustable "Lead Master" control?

I can say without a doubt that I am a Marshall amp guy. I have owned two of the 50 watt 2553 Jubilee stacks that had the matching 2x12 cabs w/ T75s. I also more recently owned a 20 watt Jubilee with its matching 2x12 w/G12 Vintage speakers. That one sounded closer than the Fractal model but not quite as good as the original. With the new improved "Brit Silver" I hear a slight difference but without that "Lead Master" control.......still not there. If you polled all guys who have experience with a real Jubilee the majority will say the same thing.....the Input gain-Lead Master- and Output master knobs are very interactive with each other. Another thing you might hear is that the Jub sounds even better if you replace the standard EL34s with E34Ls. You would also here many guys make this statement: "Slash uses this amp? Weird, I don't really hear that." Another thing about the Jubilee amp that many don't know, if you use it as a power amp you will find the tone stack is after the loop and the big one: that is the most scooped power amp tone of any Marshal by a huge amount.

Well, since I am ranting :) I might as well continue:
Marshall amp guys would generally say the following:
The best Marshall amp tones after the 2203 are these:
The real Jubilee.
The JCM 900 DR if and only if it is an original with the EL34 power tubes and you put a cable in the loop to add a bit more gain.
The 6100 if it is an original 6100 LE with the EL34s and only the clean chs and Ch 2 in the B mode. The rest of the Chs/modes....suck.
The DSL on the crunch Ch and the Lead 1 Ch with the mid shift NOT engaged. The Lead 2 ch SUCKS. The clean Ch...blah.

The following amps most will say suck or are just blah blah, the before mentioned are better.
2 Ch JCM 800s.....suck
JCM 900 with 5881s...Suck This model is where the JCM 900 gets its bad rap from.
The TSL...Suck! Some might think that this is just a DSL with a 3rd ch....Not! SUCK!
The JVM 4 ch...Blah Blah Blah/Suck Suck Suck.... It's like they tried to make the DSL better but did not! Most guys that previously owned a DSL were not convinced by this monstrosity with a gazillion knobs.
The JS JVM......Blah Blah Blah.........SUCK! When JS used a multi Ch Marshall it was a 6100LE....Marshall somehow forgot how to do it on this model???

Some other Marshall models that might find their way into the not suck camp are:
JCM 900 SLX
Vintage Modern
My main amp, until I blew the transformer then it never sounded the same, was a 1978 JMP 2203 MV with a TS Power Soak, I wish I still had it but I do have a Randy Rhodes JMP and that thing sounds crazy good but loud as hell. I have been playing around with the tone stack in the AX3 but I am not there yet. I have or owned most of those amps and the Jubilee now sounds a lot better. Not a fan of the 900 or the JVM. I was a Marshall dealer for a long time and the DSL100 was our best selling amp. I ended up with a TSL100 and a DSL100 and my TSL channel 2 soundeds incredible 3 sucks. Happy NY! Cheers!

So, do you think the channel we have in the axe is the « 2nd channel »?
The Brit Silver model and my JCM Slash sound pretty much identical using the Lead Channel with the gain knob pushed in, so I'm guessing that's the mode Cliff used for the Brit Silver model. All EQ knobs are pretty much in the same spot except for the Bass on the amp is set slightly above 8 and the model is at 9.45. The Bass knob on the real amp gives a MAJOR low end boost between 8-10, but that might just be the difference between two physical amps.

Impressive!!!
Thank you, brother. It means a lot coming from another Marshall enthusiast. :)

bro that cab pack is amazing, i tried your actual preset with that IR and it sounds HUGE
Awesome! I'm glad you liked the preset. I haven't even tried that amp with other IRs or Mixes, but thought it sounded great with Mix 01 without touching the real amp.

I just want to say that in two months of owning an axe fx I'm thoroughly impressed.
Great to have you on board! Fractal stuff keeps getting more and more inspiring and mind blowing as time goes on. It's crazy how much realistic detail there is not only in the amp models, but in the effects as well. You chose wisely. :)

I already owned that cab pack and so based on your comments above I have been sampling cabs with Brit Silver. Thank you so much for weighing in here...I think this cab may have replaced my DynaCab and I'm pretty sure you've helped me create my new main amp/cab combination!!!
That's great to hear! It's hard to beat a Jubilee through a 1960bv and I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I need to try the new Brit Silver with the Slash inspired Mixes from that pack.

My main amp, until I blew the transformer then it never sounded the same, was a 1978 JMP 2203 MV with a TS Power Soak, I wish I still had it but I do have a Randy Rhodes JMP and that thing sounds crazy good but loud as hell. I have been playing around with the tone stack in the AX3 but I am not there yet. I have or owned most of those amps and the Jubilee now sounds a lot better. Not a fan of the 900 or the JVM. I was a Marshall dealer for a long time and the DSL100 was our best selling amp. I ended up with a TSL100 and a DSL100 and my TSL channel 2 soundeds incredible 3 sucks. Happy NY! Cheers!
The Brit 800 2204 High sounds almost identical to my '77 50w JMP when I change the power tubes to 6550 SVET (I can't remember if I changed the preamp tubes).

The JCM 900 SL-X is the ultimate sleeper Marshall IMO. I've put that amp up against some crazy expensive modded vintage Plexi, JMP, and JCM 800 amps and it holds up. It can also do the JTM 45 thing as well as the Green Day "Dookie Mod" Marshall.

The original early JCM 2000 DSL 100 is another killer amp; especially the Lead 1 and Crunch modes (Crunch actually gives you an incredibly responsive clean tone with the gain turned down).

Not a fan of the JVM or TSL... too much gain and fizz and not enough meat/muscle when you dial the gain to a usable spot IMO. It seems like they were on a quest to add as much gain as possible and kinda lost the classic Marshall character in those amps.

The Brit Silver model and my JCM Slash sound pretty much identical using the Lead Channel with the gain knob pushed in, so I'm guessing that's the mode Cliff used for the Brit Silver model. All EQ knobs are pretty much in the same spot except for the Bass on the amp is set slightly above 8 and the model is at 9.45. The Bass knob on the real amp gives a MAJOR low end boost between 8-10, but that might just be the difference between two physical amps.
Yes, it's the lead channel w/ the gain knob pushed in.

The pull rhythm clip thing is this amp is an enigma. If implies that it's only active in the rhythm channel but it affects the lead channel too.

The pull rhythm clip thing is this amp is an enigma. If implies that it's only active in the rhythm channel but it affects the lead channel too.
It sounds great! Kinda jaw-dropping to hear how close it is. Did you use a different amp for the updated model?

I have axe-edit set to not scan on startup so it must be doing some other version of a read.
1704128117536.png

When you do a 'refresh after firmware' it clearly shows that it re-reads the presets. I'll assume that Fc edit is reading a different table as only on a full app restart does it properly sync up. I then force a preset read through the GUI and it still doesn't correct things then I shut it down. After opening it is synced up again.

Here's another video showing that I have deleted a preset and the table that FC edit reads still isn't updated.

It's not a big deal
Just something I noticed
I'll restart axe edit before manipulating fc edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have axe-edit set to not scan on startup so it must be doing some other version of a read.
View attachment 132289

When you do a 'refresh after firmware' it clearly shows that it re-reads the presets. I'll assume that Fc edit is reading a different table as only on a full app restart does it properly sync up. I then force a preset read through the GUI and it still doesn't correct things then I shut it down. After opening it is synced up again.

Here's another video showing that I have deleted a preset and the table that FC edit reads still isn't updated.

It's not a big deal
Just something I noticed
I'll restart axe edit before manipulating fc edit.

Ok... That is definitely weird!

I'd suggest posting this in the Axe-Edit forum as a bug. I don't think this is really an Axe Fx issue but rather an editor issue.

Late to the party - but wow! The Silver sounds amazing, and rediscovered my love for Justin's IRS.

Thanks for a great upgrade, given I'm at bedroom levels (loud bedroom, but still!) - the closest I'll get to my youth!

Another thing I've noticed, on Lead when you Pull Rhythm Clip the diodes (D4, D5) are at ground potential on both sides so they do absolutely nothing when pulled, what we hear is R9 attenuating the volume slightly in parallel with R10+R8.

If anything, C6 (2.2nF) might be smoothing the sound (LPF) when Rhythm Clip is NOT Pulled because the signal goes through this cap to ground, I might even say that the signal is 'truer' when Rhythm Clip is Pulled because C6 and the Diodes are completely shorted, so the sound is a little brighter and quieter but NOT due to extra diode clipping.
Busting some Jubilee myths here. :)

Here's the ground reference again, blue line.
2550amp.jpg

The model is now based on a Silver Jubilee. The Lerxst is actually almost identical except for the taper of the mid control. In a Silver Jubilee the mid pot is log, in the Lerxst it's linear. Guess Alex likes mids.

So if you want the sound of the old model turn up the mids.

FWIW, Alex actually signed my Lerxst. Probably worth some bucks but I'll never sell it because he's one of my heroes.

Another thing I've noticed, on Lead when you Pull Rhythm Clip the diodes (D4, D5) are at ground potential on both sides so they do absolutely nothing when pulled, what we hear is R9 attenuating the volume slightly in parallel with R10+R8.

If anything, C6 (2.2nF) might be smoothing the sound (LPF) when Rhythm Clip is NOT Pulled because the signal goes through this cap to ground, I might even say that the signal is 'truer' when Rhythm Clip is Pulled because C6 and the Diodes are completely shorted, so the sound is a little brighter and quieter but NOT due to extra diode clipping.
Busting some Jubilee myths here. :)

Here's the ground reference again, blue line.
View attachment 132298
pretend to understand while pouring yourself a drink

Ha yes hm hm the C6 chord yes !

IMG_0607.png

The JCM 900 SL-X is the ultimate sleeper Marshall IMO. I've put that amp up against some crazy expensive modded vintage Plexi, JMP, and JCM 800 amps and it holds up. It can also do the JTM 45 thing as well as the Green Day "Dookie Mod" Marshall.
Absolutely this!
I played a JCM 900 SL-X for years and it’s an awesome amp. Maybe one of the most underrated Marshall amps. I played many many sessions, gigs etc. with mine.
I sold it for a JVM, worst decision ever!

Back
Top Bottom