Axe-Fx III Firmware 24.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting pretty nuts. Of course I had to do a couple A/B tests comparing my real amps to the models... and this FW update is a biggie!

Today we have two clips. A '93 Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev F vs the Recto 1 Red model, and a '77 Marshall 50w JMP vs the Brit 800 2204 High model. The real amps were fed into a Fractal LB-2 load box, the models' impedance curves were set to LB-2 UK, and both amps and models went to the same IR loading plugin in my DAW. I used an amp switcher to flip between the amp and model in real time so there wouldn't be a time gap in between examples. There isn't any post processing EQ or Compression... what you hear is simply the amp and model A/B'ing without any tricks. I tweaked them by ear without any analyzers or anything, so they might not be identical... but pretty darn close.

First, the Mesa Dual Rec comparison. I mirrored simple amp settings. Bass-5, Mids-10, Treble-5, Presence-5, and Gain-6. The Master Volume on my amp is at around 2, and the Master Volume on the model is at 2.7. No advanced parameters were tweaked. This one surprised me A LOT since my amp is 30 years old and a different revision than the amp used for the model. I doubt it would take much tweaking to make them indistinguishable from one another.

Next is the Marshall 2204 JMP/JCM 800 comparison. My amp has 6550 power amp tubes, so I changed the model's EL34s to the 6550 Svet on the power tubes page and changed the preamp tubes to ECC803S. Those are the only advanced parameters I changed. The amp and model settings are pretty much the same. This one was also surprising since vintage Marshalls can be wildly inconsistent.

Great job @FractalAudio on another monumental FW!

This is getting pretty nuts. Of course I had to do a couple A/B tests comparing my real amps to the models... and this FW update is a biggie!

Today we have two clips. A '93 Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev F vs the Recto 1 Red model, and a '77 Marshall 50w JMP vs the Brit 800 2204 High model. The real amps were fed into a Fractal LB-2 load box, the models' impedance curves were set to LB-2 UK, and both amps and models went to the same IR loading plugin in my DAW. I used an amp switcher to flip between the amp and model in real time so there wouldn't be a time gap in between examples. There isn't any post processing EQ or Compression... what you hear is simply the amp and model A/B'ing without any tricks. I tweaked them by ear without any analyzers or anything, so they might not be identical... but pretty darn close.

First, the Mesa Dual Rec comparison. I mirrored simple amp settings. Bass-5, Mids-10, Treble-5, Presence-5, and Gain-6. The Master Volume on my amp is at around 2, and the Master Volume on the model is at 2.7. No advanced parameters were tweaked. This one surprised me A LOT since my amp is 30 years old and a different revision than the amp used for the model. I doubt it would take much tweaking to make them indistinguishable from one another.

Next is the Marshall 2204 JMP/JCM 800 comparison. My amp has 6550 power amp tubes, so I changed the model's EL34s to the 6550 Svet on the power tubes page and changed the preamp tubes to ECC803S. Those are the only advanced parameters I changed. The amp and model settings are pretty much the same. This one was also surprising since vintage Marshalls can be wildly inconsistent.

Great job @FractalAudio on another monumental FW!

Thatโ€™s getting really hard to distinguish IMO will have to listen more on study monitors
But man , I hear them switching but not really a big change in the tones at all
Very Cool Justin
And BTW the YA Dyna soon ?๐Ÿ™

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom