Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release

I still don't understand, why a JTM45, 1987x or 1959SLP has a gain knob in Axe FX ... There is no gain, just volume, For me it makes it more difficult but as option it's ok.
Even if it's called volume or loudness on the amp, it's still an input gain control

Even if it's called volume or loudness on the amp, it's still an input gain control
But the originals just have volume know, no loudness know or gain knob. It's no master volume amp. For gain you need bad ears or a powersoak. Loud = gain (and fun). I just want to show up the different views.

Pink Floyd wouldn't sound the same. Brian Eno wouldn't sound the same. The entire history of recorded music would sound worse. I don't want to live in that world at all.
Yes they would because there wouldnt be an earlier version to compare to. If it started out with better fidelity, you have no baseline of poor fidelity.

Remember, everyone: if you prefer the sound of a previous fw, just use that one. No one is forcing you to update. Or tonematch that fw sound…

I’ve always just assumed that when a new firmware is released and things are changed/improved, things may change and I may have to re-dial things in. I’m always a little surprised when people act shocked that something sounds slightly different than before. If it’s that shocking- stick with the firmware you’re on maybe????

For these differences my English is not good enough ;) But you know what I mean.
If we want to be picky none of those terms are 100% correct for what that knob really does, cuz it doesn't really control the gain of the circuit nor the volume (dB SPL) of the amp. It's actually a voltage divider which attenuates the signal before entering the amp (or after the first triode in some cases).
So a proper name imo would be "input signal attenuator"... but very few guitarists would use an amp with such control names 😂

IMO , that would not be that easy to do you would need another knob with full sweep that I think would be confusing, basically if you put the blue on 10 its acting as a boost , it would likely be easier just to turn on the Amp input boost set to clean , if Cliff already modelled it at 5 , throwing on the boost could simulate that OR turning up the input trim on the red channel
Yeah I don't think it's 100% necessary, you can just use a regular boost in front to shape the tone/gain. It was more of question out of curiousity.

You see the same kind of things in the engineering / mixing world: so many people these days are chasing the "authentic tape / console / analog / vinyl / whatever" sound, when the older engineers who actually worked with those mediums were desperate for higher quality and would've killed for the fidelity that even budget hardware has these days.
^so much this!^

In my case it was selling high-end audio gear, and friends gush about how albums sound so much better on vinyl. They should try those new-fangled 8-tracks. :)

Remember, everyone: if you prefer the sound of a previous fw, just use that one. No one is forcing you to update. Or tonematch that fw sound…
True, and that's exactly what I've done for now. But then I don't get any new goodies or fixes from here on out.

I am getting clipping on the USA JP IIC+ Green channel. The output level jumps and the are artifacts in the notes. This can be duplicated on scene 3 in the Cooper Carters Updated factory preset (attached) on 23.04 or 23.05. Reseting the amp block or channel does not correct it. After rolling back to 23.02 the amp sounds correct.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...ci-Rig-Factory-Preset-Replacements-221223.zip

Attachments

• Petrucci Rig 2023.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom