Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.05 Release

I absolutely LOVE the Stealth Red, combined with the 1960 dynacab, which is my favorite cab for guitar, but I also like the 5153 dynacab, it sounds clearer, but I cannot dial out the boominess of that cab, regardless of the amp. Do you have any suggestions for mics and placement for that cab?
You can also try shortening the IR:s in the Dynacabs. That cleans up the low end as well. I've currently have mine at 256 and also a very aggressive low cut at 110 (24db/oct). Depends in what context you play and it might be too aggressive for you and not suit your listening. But for me, by doing that, I can crank the bass on the amp to really fatten up the sound even though I record in a song environment with lots of instruments.

Stealth blue sounds freakin killer sharp and cutting with some transformer tweaks, On the same settings the leads can sound bright sweet but the rhythm has has that gnarly low end distortion ( drop g tuning) .

Stealth blue sounds freakin killer sharp and cutting with some transformer tweaks, On the same settings the leads can sound bright sweet but the rhythm has has that gnarly low end distortion ( drop g tuning) .
Wonder if you'd mind sharing the transformer tweaks you referenced? Always nice to have alternate adjustments at hand, without just turning random knobs with hope of hitting a golden nugget.
Cheers,
Lee

Wonder if you'd mind sharing the transformer tweaks you referenced? Always nice to have alternate adjustments at hand, without just turning random knobs with hope of hitting a golden nugget.
Cheers,
Lee
I generally play drop g to drop D1 tunings, so its pretty low tuned.

At these tunings the chugs on the lowest strings and everything sound pretty thick, generally which sometimes can feel like mud in a mix, or even when just playing through monitors.
For me lowering the xformer match to between 0.75 or 0.5 , makes the chugs sound marginally harsher but also more defined. It can also sound scooped but mildly

Basically its the grid clipping sound in chugs.

If you increase you might want to be at the ideal master volume for the particular amp and also play with resonances in speaker impedance page. As they can become more powerful with higher matching.

Lowering it to 0.5 gives it a very gritty aggressive & harsh sound. But it can sound very defined and attacky .

Increasing it beyond 1 makes it sound like a smoother distortion, and also louder, and thicker/ fatter, you feel slightly lesser attack even if it can be tighter sometimes.

Depending on what you want to achieve you can play around.

I generally stay 0.5 or 0.75 depending on the amps. But then this will be too harsh for higher tunings. So it really depends on what are you playing on etc.

I generally play drop g to drop D1 tunings, so its pretty low tuned.

At these tunings the chugs on the lowest strings and everything sound pretty thick, generally which sometimes can feel like mud in a mix, or even when just playing through monitors.
For me lowering the xformer match to between 0.75 or 0.5 , makes the chugs sound marginally harsher but also more defined. It can also sound scooped but mildly

Basically its the grid clipping sound in chugs.

If you increase you might want to be at the ideal master volume for the particular amp and also play with resonances in speaker impedance page. As they can become more powerful with higher matching.

Lowering it to 0.5 gives it a very gritty aggressive & harsh sound. But it can sound very defined and attacky .

Increasing it beyond 1 makes it sound like a smoother distortion, and also louder, and thicker/ fatter, you feel slightly lesser attack even if it can be tighter sometimes.

Depending on what you want to achieve you can play around.

I generally stay 0.5 or 0.75 depending on the amps. But then this will be too harsh for higher tunings. So it really depends on what are you playing on etc.
Hook it up to a Pitch Follower controller so as you play higher you get a smoother lead tone, but the low stuff get the cut and bite

Got my new axefx3. 23.05 installed. Had the FM9/3 for a while.
I'm having issues re-amping over spidf but only when using the Axefx3 as the clock. Had no issues with the FM9.

If I set the audientid44 as the clock source and select 1702669752958.png
on the axefx3 - no issues.

If I set it to internal and have the audient receive, the audient sees it - 1702669840937.png
but no input is coming into the axefx when re-amping. (meters see no signal for input)
all settings are otherwise the same.

I re-plugged the fm9 in the with same setup and it works fine either way.

Any issues with spidf clock on 23.05?

EDIT: if I choose the other end for both devices I get sound. That doesn't seem right to me.
Regardless, any time I choose 'internal' on the axefx3 for word clock, sound stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my new axefx3. 23.05 installed. Had the FM9/3 for a while.
I'm having issues re-amping over spidf but only when using the Axefx3 as the clock. Had no issues with the FM9.

If I set the audientid44 as the clock source and select View attachment 131428
on the axefx3 - no issues.

If I set it to internal and have the audient receive, the audient sees it - View attachment 131429
but no input is coming into the axefx when re-amping. (meters see no signal for input)
all settings are otherwise the same.

I re-plugged the fm9 in the with same setup and it works fine either way.

Any issues with spidf clock on 23.05?

EDIT: if I choose the other end for both devices I get sound. That doesn't seem right to me.
Regardless, any time I choose 'internal' on the axefx3 for word clock, sound stops.
You have to select the appropriate input for the digital clock: SPDIF or AES.

You have to select the appropriate input for the digital clock: SPDIF or AES.
absolutely. I realize that. Like I said, I have the same setup working for the FM9.
If I choose 'internal' for the Axe3 to provide clock and choose external on my audient, no sound through spidf. If I reverse it, and have the audient use its clock and choose 'spdif/aes in' on the axefx3, it works. Internal clock doesn't seem to work, unless you are alluding to another setting. the below works.

1702674725741.png

This doesn't.

1702674833637.png

Reactions: yek
absolutely. I realize that. Like I said, I have the same setup working for the FM9.
If I choose 'internal' for the Axe3 to provide clock and choose external on my audient, no sound through spidf. If I reverse it, and have the audient use its clock and choose 'spdif/aes in' on the axefx3, it works. Internal clock doesn't seem to work, unless you are alluding to another setting. the below works.

View attachment 131431

This doesn't.

View attachment 131432
Are you trying to reamp or plugging your guitar into the unit? You have it set up for reamping.

re-amping as stated in the original post.

I can plug in the guitar and come out spidf fine. no problems playing through it using input 1 analog and out spidf.
I can re-amp using an external clock source.
when I use the internal axefx clock, set the audient to external, it shows it syncing on audient but there is no audio.
If I switch it back to axefx spdif/aes in word clock and set the audient as master, it works fine.

when i unplug the spidf cables from the axefx3 and into the fm9 all works with the fm9 set as internal clock.

I re-flashed 23.5 and no change.

re-amping as stated in the original post.

I can plug in the guitar and come out spidf fine. no problems playing through it using input 1 analog and out spidf.
I can re-amp using an external clock source.
when I use the internal axefx clock, set the audient to external, it shows it syncing on audient but there is no audio.
If I switch it back to axefx spdif/aes in word clock and set the audient as master, it works fine.

when i unplug the spidf cables from the axefx3 and into the fm9 all works with the fm9 set as internal clock.

I re-flashed 23.5 and no change.
We'll have to take a look at that. Sounds like a software bug. Strange that no one has reported it before.

View attachment 131431

This doesn't.

View attachment 131432

I have reverted back to 23.05, I confirm the same problem, no audio coming from SPDIF when World Clock is set to Internal.
With 24 Beta 1 the clock doesn't sync to my audio interface SPDIF (Focusrite Saffire) anymore, there are constant clicks, so I'm staying on 23.05 for now.

I have reverted back to 23.05, I confirm the same problem, no audio coming from SPDIF when World Clock is set to Internal.
With 24 Beta 1 the clock doesn't sync to my audio interface SPDIF (Focusrite Saffire) anymore, there are constant clicks, so I'm staying on 23.05 for now.
I'm having the issue on 23.05.

After this last update now after about a half hour or 45 minutes or so if I have music playing like through Spotify or recording program the music cuts off but my guitar and everything is still working I have to close the program like Spotify and restart it and then it works again but then it cuts off again this just started

Back
Top Bottom