Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that mean?

You're presets are using how much CPU?

Going over 80% is already in the danger zone.
My presets were between 70 and 75% before the update. Now at 80-85%.

While I play and switch between presets, strange double tones come up

It’s not allowing me to post any MP3 audio. When the volume pedal is fully on it sounds fine. When I turn it all the way down it sounds like I have an octave or harmony engaged.
Is your volume pedal connected to the Mastermind, or directly to the AxeFx? (Assuming this is an expression pedal and not a true volume pedal.)

Is your volume pedal connected to the Mastermind, or directly to the AxeFx? (Assuming this is an expression pedal and not a true volume pedal.)
It’s connected to the Mastermind. I am using 2 EBMM Jr Pedals as expression pedals. The volume block is going full off and on even when the Mastermind isn’t connected. The other issue is it sounds like I have a pitch shifter on when the pedal is fully backed off.

It’s not allowing me to post any MP3 audio.
Your preset has something in common with another "block flickering on/off rapidly" post a few months ago: Viewed with FracTool, there are a couple "ghost" modifiers for blocks that aren't in the preset (Wah 1 & Vol/Pan 2) with no source selected. The Wah 1 modifier has autoengage enabled and it's right after your volume block modifier in the modifier list. These extra modifiers seem impossible to delete--even adding those blocks, creating new modifiers on the listed parameters then removing them leaves 2 modifier entries, but they're both identical Vol/Pan 2 Volume modifiers. I'd try saving individual block files and rebuilding the preset (starting with an empty preset) from those.

As mentioned above, 80% CPU is the existing "danger zone". Is there a revised upper end limit for expecting Gapless to work smoothly?
The limit is the limit...
Subtract the CPU needed for gapless (~1.5%) from the recommended limit (80%) and you're left with about 78%. Voila, there's your revised limit. :)
No. The gap-less uses more CPU. There's nothing to subtract. Stay below the (same) limit.

I'm wondering if anybody can answer this question. In the first beta release of 23.00 they introduced gapless preset, channel changes, etc. but they mentioned that it doesn't work for certain outputs like spdif because of an oversight. does anybody know if this has been resolved in the beta 4 release?
Id say yes. I run my AXEIII to my interface with SPDIF and after some play time and running through a half dozen presets with amp/cab channel switching the gaps are gone. It sounds great!

Possible Midi Issue (I think appearing with v23bx but I can't be sure): I make use of the behaviour noted on p46 of the Ax3 owner guide where midi control of "channel select" revolves beyond CCs 0 to 4 such that CCvalue4=ChA, CCvalue5=B ... CCvalue127=CHD. This no longer seems to work for me (Ax3mk1) - if I send CCs>3 I always get CHD. I've tried using 2 different midi sources with same result. I won't post a preset since midi needs to be sent to reveal the issue. Could be something I'm not seeing but I've been scratching my head on it for quite a while so decided to post.

Last edited:
The limit is the limit...

No. The gap-less uses more CPU. There's nothing to subtract. Stay below the (same) limit.
Do you mean the usage is constant, and not a spike at switching time? That would make sense, as that's how CPU utilization applies for blocks. If that's the case, I stand pleasantly corrected.

Possible Midi Issue (I think appearing with v23bx but I can't be sure): I make use of the behaviour noted on p46 of the Ax3 owner guide where midi control of "channel select" revolves beyond CCs 0 to 4 such that CC4=ChA, CC5=B ... CC127=CHD. This no longer seems to work for me (Ax3mk1) - if I send CCs>3 I always get CHD. I've tried using 2 different midi sources with same result. I won't post a preset since midi needs to be sent to reveal the issue. Could be something I'm not seeing but I've been scratching my head on it for quite a while so decided to post.
I'm confused. You don't send multiple CCs for channels, you send multiple values for the same CC.

Do you mean the usage is constant, and not a spike at switching time? That would make sense, as that's how CPU utilization applies for blocks. If that's the case, I stand pleasantly corrected.
Actually, that's a fair point - I need to confirm that... But typically CPU use doesn't "spike" dynamically.

I haven't observed it... I'll try to look later unless someone confirms beforehand.

I'm confused. You don't send multiple CCs for channels, you send multiple values for the same CC.
I'm making use of the functionality noted below from the manual (specifically the nuance described below in blue which no longer seems to work) - A CC sent with a value beyond 3 always sets the target block to chD now, where as before, a CC sent with a value beyond 3 would select the applicable target block channel based on the sequence (CCvalue4 would set the block to chA, CCvalue5 to chB, CCvalue10 to chC and so on all the way up to CCvalue127 to chD).

p46: (Ax3 Owner's Guide)
"CHANNEL SELECT
This uses the value of a controller to select a specific Channel. Each block has its own dedicated setting for channel select, found across the listings on the Channel page of the MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP.
The Channel is set by the value of the controller (not the controller number itself... see FAQ below). Values begin at 0, which is Channel A, and it continues from there. (See table 2, right).
As with Scene Select (above) the series continues, repeating Channels A–D across values to 127."

I've been using this for a long time to send a lo/hi values to outboard gear that will only respond to OFF(0) / ON(>63) while at the same time setting a specific channel on Axfx. Edit: I know I could change over to sending separate messages on a separate channel for outboard gear, but this has worked and has been supported so I'd prefer to keep using it.

Last edited:
I'm making use of the functionality noted below from the manual (specifically the nuance described in blue which no longer seems to work) - A CC sent beyond the value of 3 always sets the target block to chD now, where as before, a CC value sent with a value beyond 3 would select the applicable target block channel based on the sequence (CC#4 would set the block to chA, CC#5 to chB, CC#10 to chC and so on all the way up to CC#127 to chD.

p46: (Ax3 Owner's Guide)
"CHANNEL SELECT
This uses the value of a controller to select a specific Channel. Each block has its own dedicated setting for channel select, found across the listings on the Channel page of the MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP.

The Channel is set by the value of the controller (not the controller number itself... see FAQ below). Values begin at 0, which is Channel A, and it continues from there. (See table 2, right). As with Scene Select (above) the series continues, repeating Channels A–D across values to 127."

I've been using this for a long time to send a hi value to outboard gear that will only respond to OFF(0) / ON(>63) while at the same time setting a specific channel on Axfx.
As I said, you're talking about multiple CC data values not multiple CCs.

You are sending, for example CC#1 with values 0-127, not CC#s 0-127.

Channels are modulo 4 and Scenes are modulo 8.

It should work, but I don't use a midi controller anymore for that so I can't confirm it does or doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom