Axe-Fx III Firmware 23.00 Public Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So aside from the usual "reset block after FW upgrade", are there any tonal changes to be aware of with the new Triode improvements? Or should most models sound roughly the same (JS410 notwithstanding)?

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/23p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_23p00_beta1.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Improved Amp block triode algorithm.

Updated all JS410 Lead models based on a current production JVM410HJS.

Added JS410 Lead Green amp model.

Added Pitch High Cut parameter to Reverb block. This can be used to darken/brighten the pitch-shifted component of the reverb.

Added Smoothing parameter to Cabinet block in Dyna-Cab mode.

Preset, Scene and Channel changes are now gapless.

NOTE: Seamless switching is currently not implemented on the USB and SPDIF/AES outputs due to a "programming oversight" :p

Can't wait for these goodies to trickle down to the FM9. Would love to know anything more about the triode algorithm improvement that falls outside the ancient Chinese secret....

The gap for most blocks was extremely short so probably not noticeable. The Amp block, in particular, has to do a lot of calculations when switching channels so the duration of the gap was longer.
Yeah that's more or less been my experience on the FM9. I've never noticed the gap between scenes unless the amp block changed channels. Was it just a matter of optimizing the code more for the amp block algorithms to get gapless switching?

I'm just very curious because I remember when the Helix released a firmware update that added gapless preset switching but by sacrificing one of the two DSP cores. You'd get gapless switching but half the amount of DSP power per preset. Also, the Fender Tone Master just came out and that has gapless preset switching as well.

This goes back to my question...is there really any reason besides CPU limitations to just have 2 amp blocks in on/off states on a preset now and skip using channels altogether?
I was wondering the same thing. I remember on the II that running two amp blocks made each block run in a lower resolution mode,IIRC. I'm wondering if anything like that is in play on the III. Seems like there's no reason to switch between blocks anymore.

I was wondering the same thing. I remember on the II that running two amp blocks made each block run in a lower resolution mode,IIRC. I'm wondering if anything like that is in play on the III. Seems like there's no reason to switch between blocks anymore.
Don't know about the Turbo, but on a mkI yes, oversampling rate is reduced when two amp blocks are loaded in the preset (I tested this a while ago). But probably the "low resolution" mode on the axe III is the same or higher than the "high resolution" on the axe II, since the processing power is more than doubled on the axe III

There's no change in quality when using two amp blocks on the III. You could switch seamlessly between the two amp blocks as long you didn't also change the channels. That means you were really only limited to two amp sounds without a gap. There were workarounds like using one amp block on one channel and have the other amp block change while it wasn't be used that way it's ready to go on the new channel when you do switch to it.

Now with the new firmware, you have 8 amp sounds (4 per amp block) that you could switch between seamlessly and never have to worry. That's a game changer for a lot of people

Last edited:
Gap never bothered me personally but congrats to team and hoorah for eveyone excited for it!

More interested in that new triode algorithm (I see it makes our tones relatively smoother now?)

And of course can’t wait to try out the new JS models!

Very new user here. This is all awesome news. Just updated (using Fractal-Bot from Linux via wine no less!). Can't wait to try it out!

Quick question: I also installed the dynacabs from the enclosed dyna_cabs_1p05.syx. I didn't notice that that was the same version I'd installed when updating to 22.01. When installing new firmware, is it only necessary to install the dynacabs if they have a new version?

Thanks! Never been happier I bought this thing!
Tom

Very new user here. This is all awesome news. Just updated (using Fractal-Bot from Linux via wine no less!). Can't wait to try it out!

Quick question: I also installed the dynacabs from the enclosed dyna_cabs_1p05.syx. I didn't notice that that was the same version I'd installed when updating to 22.01. When installing new firmware, is it only necessary to install the dynacabs if they have a new version?

Thanks! Never been happier I bought this thing!
Tom
You don't need to install the Dyna-Cabs if you have already done so prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom