Axe-Fx III Firmware 22.01 Release

...and there I was just thinking that Fractal had just reached a sweet spot with all three products updated to the same level and better than ever before, with capabilities that few have had a chance to explore fully. It might be a good spot for them to take a breath and let the world catch up with them. ;)

I really hate such a speculation, but is FAS financially alright? It's concerning if the silence means FAS has run out of cash to continue updates at the same pace they used to do...
The flaw in this "logic" is it presumes it's about the money. If it were, the updates wouldn't be free. Whenever a new modeling algorithm was written, a new device would be launched and the algorithm would certainly not be ported to legacy devices. Features would be intentionally withheld from less expensive devices to force upgrades to get them.

Everything I've seen in the past 8 years leads me to believe that Cliff does this for the pure enjoyment and satisfaction of creating the best modeling platform and constantly seeking new ways to improve it. Yes, money is great and well deserved, but not really the driving force from what I've observed.

The flaw in this "logic" is it presumes it's about the money. If it were, the updates wouldn't be free. Whenever a new modeling algorithm was written, a new device would be launched and the algorithm would certainly not be ported to legacy devices. Features would be intentionally withheld from less expensive devices to force upgrades to get them.

Everything I've seen in the past 8 years leads me to believe that Cliff does this for the pure enjoyment and satisfaction of creating the best modeling platform and constantly seeking new ways to improve it. Yes, money is great and well deserved, but not really the driving force from what I've observed.
^^^ This, absolutely.

The flaw in this "logic" is it presumes it's about the money. If it were, the updates wouldn't be free.
no clue why there's a lull (could speculate all day long), but I believe it would be flawed to say that updates have nothing to do with money. Why do I think this you may ask? Because people are paid significant $ to produce those updates!!!, and those $ would need to be accounted for in the context of a business that needs to make a profit to continue. Are the # and quality of updates very generous compared to competing platforms?, Yessirree!. Would I use the word "free" from an accounting point of view?, No way!. Would I use the word "free" from a marketing point of view?, Sure, why not!.

Last edited:
While we are guessing, I have a feeling Cliff and team may be adding a block with machine learning capability, like Neural Amp, Kemper, Tone X, etc.

It's very telling that us chuckleheads get antsy after a few weeks without a brain-bending, earth-shattering, paradigm-shifting breakthrough. It means there have been several brain-bending, earth-shattering, paradigm-shifting breakthroughs in rapid succession and we think it's the norm. It's definitely not.

When you consistently run at 1000%, if you start going 999% some people will only see the 'missing' 1%. I wish everyone would lay off speculating and panicking and just bask in the awesome, hair-singeing glow of what we already have. I'd hate to be cliff and have my awesomeness thanked like that.

I really hate such a speculation, but is FAS financially alright? It's concerning if the silence means FAS has run out of cash to continue updates at the same pace they used to do...
Let me ask. What good is an update to a product that doesn’t need one? Unless I’m missing something. Sound and function ability is absolutely incredible. And, I’ve owned everything under the sun over the last 40 years.

Let me ask. What good is an update to a product that doesn’t need one?
For the 14 years I've been around here, many peeps have frequently proclaimed that we are "there" and Axfx does not need another update. Subsequent to every such proclamation, updates have appeared which peeps here overwhelmingly considered to be game changing and revolutionary (to which I would agree in several cases). In every case where many were conviced we were "there", an update then appeared proving that we were not.

Last edited:
For the 14 years I've been around here, many peeps here have constantly proclaimed that we are "there" and Axfx does not need a another update. Subsequent to every such proclamation, updates have appeared which peeps here overwhelmingly proclaimed to be game changing and revolutionary (to which I would agree in several cases). In every case where many were conviced we were "there", an update then appeared proving that we were not.
Pff, how many times my wife had to listen to me that it sounds like a real amp this time :D

I don’t understand why there’s all these posts speculating what’s Cliff doing… or when the IV is coming out… or will there be more dyna-cabs… or is the company in financial trouble .. etc.
After all these years it seems to me that Cliff is a computer scientist (and a really good one), also a visionary (look at what he made), devoted to his company, always looking to improve what he made (proven since the beginning), generous… and more.
So why all this useless talk?
Why continue this nonsense, and instead let the company do what it does.
Christmas isn’t every two weeks kids… and ‘we’ at FAS have gotten comfortable with regular updates. Don’t be spoiled and embrace constant gratification… rather let the company (FAS) do it’s job.
Lastly… wouldn’t ‘you’ if you’re the company owner, always working to make the best, and giving to its customers, get annoyed at the constant ‘wants’ for more?
I like updates too, and yeah, it’s been a while since the last firmware (for FAS) but the reality is, we already have a huge warehouse of amps, IR’s, and effects to work with. Something will show up soon, and until then… as the Frank Zappa album says… Shut up and play yer guitar. Or keep speculating add nauseam, or buy a Kemper… 🤦‍♂️ Just my 2 cents.

I don’t understand people who get butthurt by people who happen to enjoy speculating. Cliff is a big boy, and I don’t think he needs you to defend him or his company, but thanks mom. There’s a whole channel dedicated to Wish List items and many of those wishes have been granted, so in that regard, I believe ‘wants’ are welcomed here.

Back
Top Bottom